Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KIDD Class upgrades you would like to see.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KIDD Class upgrades you would like to see.

What upgrades in radars and other systems would you like to see done to the Kidd Class before their transfer to Taiwan?????
    Revelation 16:16 And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.
    (Been There)

Well I would like to see them operate 2 helos like their near sisters in the Tico and Spruance classes. I would also like to see VLS and the AEGIS system. But this would not only be expensive it would also not be politcally palatable. Although some kind of uprgrade for helo ops should be feasible.

I think their radars and sonar will be reconstituted with much the same capability as when decommissioned. Its a shame but anything else will send costs through the roof I suspect.

Comment

Is Taiwan due to receive any other naval ships from the US in the near future?
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

What helicopters does the Kidd carry?
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Just the Kidds are going to Taiwan in the near future.

The Kidds carried one SH-2F LAMPS I helo(like the first two Tico) until those helos were retired from USN service in 1994. But the hanger apparently is large enough for two SH-60 LAMPS III helos and RAST was being added in the mid 1990s. Whether the LAMPS III electronic fit (SQQ-28 Helo data link)was ever installed I dont know.

Comment

I think a TLAM capability would make things interesting.

Comment

I think one Blackhawk and one Apache-D is pretty cool
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

TLAM, that would fill the only void in the Kidd's weapons fit.

I'm sure a quad ABL or two could be squeezed onto the ship somewhere.

But again, politicly, it's HIGHLY unlikely.

Comment

Why? I though the US supported Taiwan.

Comment

The US supports Taiwan but they have always limited the weaponry to "Defensive" weapons only. That's why Taiwan doesn't have F-15's and never had F-4's. The Taiwanese military has a supersonic ASM cruise missile with a 90 mile range and is probably working on indigenous longer range missiles for land strike.

The Helos kept on board should be of an ASW nature. The Apache sounds good, but what does it really do for the ship? Nothing that would support it's mission. I would like to see another terminal guidance radar added so they can do a better AAW job. Not complaining about what they do already, just would like to see it better. I don't know if they can fire ASROC out of a Harpoon style launcher, but if so, I would prefer they store their ASROC's that way to free up space in the missile magazine for more SM2's. I would definitely want SeaRam instead of Phalanx. If the sonar's can be upgraded, go for it, albeit I think the OHP's will be the ASW workhorses with some secondary air defense capability. The Kidd's role will be the reverse responsibility; it will be to provide fleet area air defense and ASW support as a secondary role. Her helos will probably be coordinated by the OHPs. IMHO, of course

I think Taiwan is building some more OHP's under license, don't know how many they are going to build though…..

:G
                    Revelation 16:16 And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.
                    (Been There)

Comment

The Apaches can salvo 16 Hellfires at a ship. If that doesn't trash a good amount of the ship, it will at least knock out the defenses and radars. After that go for a couple runs with the 30mm and enjoy.

Comment

range restrictions on the hellfires, would likely put an Apache well inside the ships kill area.
                        Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

Not if there's a laser designator on the ship and there is LOS

Comment

Apache's would get slaughtered trying to engage any modern warship with anything more than point missile defenses.

And the Hellfires probably wouldn't get through anyway.

Comment

Hey, I'm allowed to dream, no?

Comment

Working...
                              X