New NoKor missile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New NoKor missile

This missile is said to be different from the Taepodong.

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - North Korea has begun making and deploying new intermediate-range ballistic missiles that could reach U.S. military targets in Okinawa, Japan and the Pacific U.S. territory of Guam, South Korea's Defense Ministry said Thursday.

Since last year, South Korean and Japanese news media, citing anonymous intelligence sources, have reported North Korea's development of a new missile with a 1,860-2,500 mile range.

Testifying before the parliament's National Defense Committee, Defense Minister Cho Young-kil said Wednesday that those missiles have already been deployed.

Cho's comments were carried by domestic media on Thursday and were confirmed by a ministry representative who spoke on condition of anonymity.

"North Korea is continuing its missile development, engaging in such activities as engine tests," Cho was quoted as saying.

North Korea's vigorous missile development unsettles the region. The U.S. military in South Korea has begun deploying new Patriot missiles designed to intercept incoming missiles. Last year, Japan launched its first spy satellites in a multi-billion dollar program aimed at monitoring North Korea's development of long-range missiles.

Full story

Weeeell, doesn't that just tie in with the N. Korea topic. I only have one issue with this: I thought we saved/were allies with S. Korea?! I could've sworn that was the gist I was getting from everyone in the other Korea topic. So, if my hunch was at least right on this one, then what does it matter if it can reach US bases overseas? If they're our allies, then there shouldn't be a problem. Now, if the feeling I got from the guys on the other topic was wrong, then I will retreat into a hermit and lurk into the deserted catacombs of the American Political Issues forum.
    ~1lonesoldier
    -----
    "The youth of today need to worry more about the world, because they know damn well that the adults of today aren't doing a damn thing about it"
    ~Me

Comment

Originally posted by 1lonesoldier
      If they're our allies, then there shouldn't be a problem.
      You misread the story, it's about North Korean missles as reported by South Korean sources. ;) The South Koreans are allied, but I personally don't want them to have weapons that will hit us anyway.
      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Working...
      X