Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerry names Edwards his running mate

Kerry names Edwards his running mate

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) -- Democratic White House hopeful John Kerry on Tuesday tapped a Senate colleague and former rival Tuesday to be his running mate, calling John Edwards "a man who understands and defends the values of America."

Edwards, a one-term U.S. senator from North Carolina and highly successful trial lawyer, was Kerry's most persistent rival in the Democratic primaries, but he became one of his biggest boosters once he threw in the towel on his own campaign.

Kerry, who has been all but crowned for his party's presidential nomination, announced his choice to a cheering crowd here.

"I trust that met with your approval," Kerry, a four-term U.S. senator from Massachusetts, deadpanned.(Profile of John Edwards)

Although Edwards has served only one term in the Senate, Kerry said Edwards, 51, "is ready for this job."

"I've seen John Edwards think, argue, advocate and legislate for six years now," Kerry, 60, said.

"I know his skill. I know his passion. I know his strength. I know his conscience. I know his faith. He has honored the lessons of home and family that he learned in North Carolina, and he brings those values to shape a better America together with all of us."

It's the first time since 1960 -- when Sen. John F. Kennedy chose Sen. Lyndon Johnson as his running mate -- that two incumbent senators and former Democratic rivals are on a national ticket.

Edwards was not at the announcement -- a move Democratic sources said was designed to keep Kerry's decision secret for as long as possible.

Edwards smiled and flashed a thumbs-up sign later in the afternoon as he emerged from his home in the tony Georgetown neighborhood of Washington with his wife, Elizabeth, and their children.

He did not say anything, but in a written statement he spoke of his honor in joining the ticket.

"I was honored this morning to receive a call from Senator Kerry asking me to join his ticket," Edwards said. "I was humbled by his offer -- and thrilled to accept it."

Edwards and his wife were to join the Kerrys on Tuesday night at Teresa Heinz Kerry's estate outside Pittsburgh to prepare for their first joint appearance on Wednesday. The two men are scheduled to campaign Wednesday in Ohio, a key battleground state.

Read more here:
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/....vp/index.html
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."
Working...
X