X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Moore admits Disney 'ban' was a stunt

Michael Moore admits Disney 'ban' was a stunt

By ANDREW GUMBEL in Los Angeles
    Less than 24 hours after accusing the Walt Disney Company of pulling the plug on his latest documentary in a blatant attempt at political censorship, the rabble-rousing film-maker Michael Moore has admitted he knew a year ago that Disney had no intention of distributing it.

The admission, during an interview with CNN, undermined Moore's claim that Disney was trying to sabotage the US release of Fahrenheit 911 just days before its world premiere at the Cannes film festival.

Instead, it lent credence to a growing suspicion that Moore was manufacturing a controversy to help publicise the film, a full-bore attack on the Bush administration and its handling of national security since the attacks of 11 September 2001.

In an indignant letter to his supporters, Moore said he had learnt only on Monday that Disney had put the kibosh on distributing the film, which has been financed by the semi-independent Disney subsidiary Miramax.

But in the CNN interview he said: "Almost a year ago, after we'd started making the film, the chairman of Disney, Michael Eisner, told my agent he was upset Miramax had made the film and he will not distribute it."

Nobody in Hollywood doubts Fahrenheit 911 will find a US distributor. His last documentary, Bowling for Columbine, made for US$3m pulled in US$22m at the US box office.

But Moore's publicity stunt, if that is what is, appears to be working.

A front-page news piece in The New York Times was followed yesterday by an editorial denouncing Disney for censorship and denial of Moore's right to free expression.

Moore told CNN that Disney had "signed a contract to distribute this [film]" but got cold feet. But Disney executives insists there was never any contract. And a source close to Miramax said that the only deal there was for financing, not for distribution.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...bsection=world
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

If you're going to be a big fat lying piece of s**t, at least stick to your lies.
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Old news.

Incidentally, that stunt probably helped bring in millions of dollars. I'd say it was a great success.

Comment

Originally posted by List
        Old news.
        That Moore is as full of it as his movies? Yep, old news.
        Incidentally, that stunt ...
        ... taught thinking people all they need to know about Moore's ways.
        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

I agree with you 100%. Just like most political, media, and special interest groups, Moore has mastered the art of exploiting stupid people.

Comment

I agree with you 100%. Just like most political, media, and special interest groups, Moore has mastered the art of exploiting stupid people.
            I would like to figure out a way to make similar money without having to be a jack ass. If any of you all figure it out please let me in on it. ;)

Comment

Working...
            X