@Ironduke! (Allempires)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @Ironduke! (Allempires)

Hey, I wanted to give you quotes proving that Italians are Romans on that AE thread, so I sent you PMs there. Since you didn't reply, I decided to send them to you like this:

‘Pssst. When Vagelis says that no Romans identified themselves as Italians, give him this: http://www.historytoday.com/dt_main_...3=x&amid=15904

It's even in my signature. Proof that Romans did identify themselves as Italians. Also, I will look up the rest of Virgil's Aneneid, because it has loads of this.’

‘Ironduke, officially, I stopped debating Vagelis, but only because his stubborness was impossible to defeat, I became impatient and gave up, "officially." However, I want to help you fight him. He wants quotes on what Romans thought, give him this, An anonymous writer wrote this after Odoacer's occupation of Italy:

“Odoacer's successor, Theodoric, is an illustrious man and full of good will towards all.... He gave games in the circus and amphitheater, so that even by the Romans (Italians) he was called a Trajan (who was also a foreigner occupying the imperial throne)....whose times he took as his model....He was generous with gifts and the distribution of grain, and although he found the treasury empty, by his efforts he recouped and enriched it.”

Another quote from historian Ferdinand Lot said:
    “None of the great events, such as the invasion of the barbarians....the disappearance of the ‘Empire’in 476, the arrival of the Goths and their occupation of the country (Italy, or Rome), affected deeply the social life or even the organization and administrative geography of the country. People imagine, or rather used to imagine, some mysterious revolution in 476 which was not merely political but also social....Things did not, however, happen in this way....The civil and financial administation functioned as before.... Rome was still the finest city of the West. The sight of it struck the strangers and even the barbarians with admiration.

“It went on, moreover with its life of idleness; there was no intermission of the circus and amphitheater games. It does not, in truth, appear that the Italian populace (identifying them as Romans) had to make any real changes in its habits.”

Edward Gibbon (lamenting destruction of Roman architecture):

“The Romans (Italians) eventually did more damage to their own works of arts than any foreign invaders did. In Rome's final years, its monuments were no longer revered as the immortal glory of their capital; they were only esteemed as an inexhaustable mine of materials, cheaper and more convenient than the distant quarry. In this way, to the constant regret of modern archaeologists and historians, the last generations of Romans ("last" as in most recent, right to the 20th century) demolished with sacrilegious hands, the labors of their ancestors.”

(Even during WWI and II, Italians demolished Roman buildings and works of arts to help the war effort against the Austrians, Germans, (WWI) and British, French, Americans, north Italy, and Germans (WWII).

Use this and the quotes from the last PM I sent you to help. Just don't mention who gave them to you.... ’

Use these well, because they will spearhead your counterattacks on Vagelis (who just hit you back just now)
    http://invisionfree.com/forums/Dario_Military_Forum/index.php International Military Forum
Working...
X