things overlooked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• things overlooked

We all compare planes, tanks. compare what is good and what isn't. but exept things that we can read and see, there are plenty of factors that we don't see and read in specs.
    For instance mig 15 when was deploed in korea had huge problem: when going in and out of dives cockpit would fog up and pilot wouldnt see sh..t,later it was fixed.
    mi 24 when used in afgan proved to lack power to pull up(there were a few crashes),so russians changed tactics they used it like dive bomber.speed helped to pull up and also it had huge psicological effect.
    also ww2 me262 was the fastest plane on the block they shoot everyone out of the skies until americans developed new taktics, they flew p51's high and dove on me262's head, killing their speed advantage.much like mi 24's
    i'm sure that almost every aircraft has some hidden surprise.

i wonder if any other member of wab has knowege of these hiden problems in any aircraft that they could share with us.
    Last edited by omon; 07 Nov 06,, 20:42.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

It is probably true to say that every design has its weaknesses. Often it takes time for flaws to become apparent, in the case of the Jaguar it was cracking in the forward fuselage after a certain number of cannon rounds had been fired. Needless to say these were not picked up on trials. The remedy was to ban the pilots from firing the cannons! When the Avon powered Hunters entered service the muzzle gases would enter the engine and stop it (in certain attitudes). The Sapphire engined Hunters did not suffer this phenomena. Eventually a cure was found. Now what problems can you have in dropping dumb bombs from the bomb-bay of a jet bomber in straight and level flight? Surely gravity will do the business, right? The Victor on trials dropped a salvo of live bombs. A chase plane was keeping station just off the wing tip and had to radio the Victor pilot to "Pull up hard"! He did, and then the bombs dropped away. They had been in suspended animation a few feet below the bomber, but the unusual forward fuselage design did strange things to the airflow so the bombs remained in tight formation and showed no inclination to follow Isaac Newtons rules!
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

that plane does have an unusual nose, looks good though,
      Attached Files
      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Working...
      X