Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Fun for Powell at the 'YMCA'

It's Fun for Powell at the 'YMCA'

JAKARTA, Indonesia - U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell donned a hard hat and tucked a hammer in his belt Friday, performing a version of the Village People's hit "YMCA" at the conclusion of Asia's largest security meeting.

Tradition dictates that the meeting wrap up with a night of song and dance, provided by the diplomats themselves.

In 1997 Madeleine Albright (news - web sites), then secretary of state, bowled over the ministers when she performed a musical skit dressed as Evita Peron.

On Friday, Powell danced alongside five other U.S. officials sporting costumes that included an Indian headdress.

The group blasted out a version of the 1970s disco classic, to the delight of foreign ministers from across the Asia-Pacific and Europe.

"President Bush (news - web sites), he said to me: 'Colin, I need you to run the Department of State. We are between a rock and a hard place," Powell and his colleagues sang to the tune of the disco classic.

The after-dinner show is an annual highlight of the ASEAN Regional Forum, a time for ministers to loosen up after discussing security issues.

The event is closed to the press, but reporters regularly go out of their way to get the scoop.

The Russian delegation, headed by Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, sang a version of the Beatles "Yellow Submarine" as a woman waving a Russian flag ran around the dinner tables.

Indian Foreign Minister Natwar Singh read a poem before his delegation burst into a song.

"I'm not worried — but the audience should be," Singh said before attending the gala dinner.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...llage_people_5
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

That's a great tradition!
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

It was on the news report the other day.

Comment

There a video of Secretary Of State Colin Powell dancing? There simply has to be a video of powell dancing on stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunatock
          There a video of Secretary Of State Colin Powell dancing? There simply has to be a video of powell dancing on stage.
          I saw it on CNN last Thursday

Comment

I would pay per view to see politicians make asses out of themselves!

Comment

Originally posted by Lunatock
              He wasn't really dancing, he was singing but all dressed up like a YMCA member. Pretty funny

Comment

Originally posted by s_qwert63
                You did not had to pay ,there was huge chance to see Powell make ass of himself in UN when he talked about WMD.
                And almost everyday there are hillarious speeches by GW.Bush himself to see and hear on public TV and radio.

Comment

Turn the news on, doesn't really matter which one;)

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
                    Turn the news on, doesn't really matter which one;)
                    lol :) John Kerry is a pretty funny one ... as is Al Sharpton

Comment

Working...
                    X