Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jordan ready to send Iraq troops

Jordan ready to send Iraq troops

Jordan would consider sending troops to Iraq if the new interim government asked, King Abdullah has told the BBC.
    "If the Iraqis ask us for help directly it will be very difficult for us to say no," he said on Newsnight.

King Abdullah emphasised that he did not feel the Jordanians were the right people to bring Iraq security and said the issue had not even been discussed.

Nonetheless King Abdullah is the first Arab leader to even consider sending troops to Iraq.

Reluctance

"My position has been beforehand not to send troops... because of Jordanian history with Iraq," he said.

"I felt that all countries that surround Iraq have their own agendas, so maybe we're not the right people to go in for the job."

"However, now there's an interim government and, we hope, a fully independent process very soon in Iraq. I presume, if the Iraqis ask us for help directly it will be very difficult for us to say no," the king added.

"Again, I would feel that we are not the right people. But at the end of the day, if there is something that we can provide, a service to the future of Iraqis then we will definitely study that proposal."

Read the rest here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3858883.stm
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Iraq is allready being recognized.
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Even if they don't want to sincerely recognise Iraq...it might be in Saudi Arabia's best interests to not have Iran trying to take over Iraq and set up thier own regime right of top of KSA.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunatock
        Even if they don't want to sincerely recognise Iraq...it might be in Saudi Arabia's best interests to not have Iran trying to take over Iraq and set up thier own regime right of top of KSA.
        Very good point 'tock, the Iranian Revolutionary Gds would be outside the Royal Palace in Riydiah in seconds if they were able to get through Iraq.

Comment

Working...
        X