Taiwan jets practice freeway landings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taiwan jets practice freeway landings

Taiwan said Monday that its air force will practice emergency landing on a freeway for the first time in 25 years amid renewed tension in relations with China.

The scenario of the drill is that Taiwan's airports may be destroyed should war break out with China, and that freeways may be used for emergency landings. Defense Minister Lee Jye said the drills would take place between late July and early August.

Several kilometers (miles) of the freeway have been repaired and a section will be shut down for half a day, defense ministry sources said.
    Story

Practical idea me thinks.

True, it's always a good back up to have. When India amassed a million troops in 2001-2 Pakistan did the same, on its highways. Taiwan seems battle-ready and prepared to give a fight. Although the odds are against her, courage is always respectable.

Taking down huge highways is harder for the enemy..... how much WILL they bomb!?

Comment

It was always a part of the NATO planning for WWIII that NATO tactical aircraft would use the Autobahn for landing strips, and the overpasses as impromptu shelters.

Excellent and time proven idea. Good to see the Taiwanese dusting it off and putting it to practice.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
        It was always a part of the NATO planning for WWIII that NATO tactical aircraft would use the Autobahn for landing strips, and the overpasses as impromptu shelters.
        Here in the US, every 50 miles of highway is streight as to allow a jet to take off from a highway in the event of airfields being destroyed. I also belive highway underpasses can be used to store aircraft from attack, though I dont think the overpass is thick enough to stop a bomb ....

Comment

I think it's one in every 5 miles, and that was a law passed in Truman's time, IIRC on both counts
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Working...
          X