• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The lies of Michael Moore By Christopher Hitchens

Unfairenheit 9/11
    The lies of Michael Moore.
    By Christopher Hitchens
    Posted Monday, June 21, 2004, at 12:26 PM PT

To describe this film as dishonest and demagogic would almost be to promote those terms to the level of respectability. To describe this film as a piece of crap would be to run the risk of a discourse that would never again rise above the excremental. To describe it as an exercise in facile crowd-pleasing would be too obvious. Fahrenheit 9/11 is a sinister exercise in moral frivolity, crudely disguised as an exercise in seriousness. It is also a spectacle of abject political cowardice masking itself as a demonstration of "dissenting" bravery.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2102723/

"...speaking here in my capacity as a polished, sophisticated European...
    it seems to me the laugh here is on the polished, sophisticated
    Europeans.

They think Americans are fat, vulgar, greedy, stupid, ambitious and
    ignorant and so on. And they've taken as their own, as their representative
    American...
    someone who actually embodies all of those qualities."

- Christopher Hitchens

http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin...mes;read=49290

I read the first one the other day. Good quote...
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Hitchens commits many of the same crimes he accuses Moore of commiting. His article is very misleading when compared to the actual contents of the film. I would strongly recommend seeing the film before trusting Hitchens' comments about it.

Comment

Originally posted by List
        Hitchens commits many of the same crimes he accuses Moore of commiting.
        At no point does the author claim to be showing you a documentary either. Moore's movies and books have all been garbage so far, and I doubt this one is anything less than the same garbage. Moore is a propagandist, plain and simple, and he's laughing all the way to the bank... with your money in his pocket.
        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
          At no point does the author claim to be showing you a documentary either. Moore's movies and books have all been garbage so far, and I doubt this one is anything less than the same garbage. Moore is a propagandist, plain and simple, and he's laughing all the way to the bank... with your money in his pocket.
          Out of curiosity, how many movies has he made besides F911 and Bowling for Lies i mean Columbine ?

Comment

Our news reports that he makinga pile!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202
              Out of curiosity, how many movies has he made besides F911 and Bowling for Lies i mean Columbine ?
              He did the stupid "Roger and Me" movie, where they went and evicted people that supposedly were laid off from an auto plant. He never makes mention the Union's contribution to the situation, but that is his agenda. He did a similar flick while on a book tour, I think it was like "Big One" or something. Durring that one he made a big deal about allways riding on airliners and not private planes. He uses Time Warner's private plane to fly around when not filming though. He did other stuff, a TV show I remember. Some of that was funny, but it was the same "America sucks, let's be communists" poo he allways spews.
              Originally posted by Ray
              Our news reports that he makinga pile!
              He would deserve it, if he put "based on a true story" on his movies instead of "documentary".

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
                He did the stupid "Roger and Me" movie, where they went and evicted people that supposedly were laid off from an auto plant. He never makes mention the Union's contribution to the situation, but that is his agenda. He did a similar flick while on a book tour, I think it was like "Big One" or something. Durring that one he made a big deal about allways riding on airliners and not private planes. He uses Time Warner's private plane to fly around when not filming though. He did other stuff, a TV show I remember. Some of that was funny, but it was the same "America sucks, let's be communists" poo he allways spews.

He would deserve it, if he put "based on a true story" on his movies instead of "documentary".
                Was that the movie where he claimed the only that the only person in town with a steady job was the sheriff's deputy who evicted people? I dont know how old the movie is, but the unemployment level in Genessee County, MI is 9.9% as of 2003, yeah thats alot, but im sure their is someplace else in the US where it is worse.

Comment

Was that the movie where he claimed the only that the only person in town with a steady job was the sheriff's deputy who evicted people?
                  I don't recall that exact statement, it's been years since I saw it, but it sounds like a Mooreism.
                  the unemployment level in Genessee County, MI is 9.9% as of 2003, yeah thats alot, but im sure their is someplace else in the US where it is worse.
                  It is a hell of alot, but what is to be expected? Nobody wants to start a business where it's going to cost 50% more to do any business. Several of the contractors I work with, here in Florida, originally came from Michigan and California. It's all fine with me, we can use the jobs and economic perks.

Comment

Moore is less.

Comment

Working...
                    X