Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is your country proud of itself?

National Pride Varies Greatly Across Europe
    And it’s much lower than in the United States, according to new five-country survey

ROCHESTER, N.Y. and LONDON – June 24, 2004 – A new survey by HI Europe finds that the proportion of people who feel "very proud" of their countries varies greatly from 57% in Spain to only 23% in Germany. And, in all five of the largest European countries, national pride is far lower than in the United States where, in The Harris Poll® conducted in 2002, fully 84% of adults were very proud to be American.

The new European data comes from a five-country HI Europe survey conducted online with samples of 2,339 adults in Great Britain, 2,018 adults in France, 2,078 in Germany, 2,120 adults in Italy and 1,382 adults in Spain between June 3 and 8, 2004. In each country, a national cross section of adults was asked "how proud do you feel to be from [your country]?

The results show that:

In Spain, fully 57% are very proud of being Spanish, and 78% are very or somewhat proud while 13% are not proud to be Spanish.
    In Italy, 46% are very proud to be Italians and 85% are very or somewhat proud with 13% not proud to be Italians.
    In Britain, 43% are very proud to be British, 78% are very or somewhat proud and 15% are not proud to be British.
    In France, 33% are very proud to be French, 81% are very or somewhat proud and 11% are not proud to be French.
    In Germany, the level of national pride is substantially lower than in the other countries surveyed. Only 23% are very proud to be German, 57% are very or somewhat proud and fully 35% are not proud to be German.
    Reasons for the differences

The surveys do not provide any data to explain these big differences. However, they surely reflect many factors including how history is taught in the schools, the degree of nationalism (or even jingoism) in the country’s media, the rate of growth of the economy and the level of unemployment.

The low level of national pride in Germany probably reflects all of these factors. Since World War II, Germany has been very unusual, if not unique, in teaching its students about the evils committed by the Nazi government and by many Germans during the Holocaust. Few, if any, other countries teach their students the negative things done by their countries.

On the other hand, as victims of terrorism in 2001, it is perhaps not surprising to see the unification of national pride amongst Americans with the overwhelming majority of adults (84% U.S. Harris Poll 2002) feeling very proud to be from the United States. Foreign observers of the United States have often been surprised by the frequent and open displays of American patriotism, the waving of the flag, the singing of "The Star-Spangled Banner" and the talk of "American exceptionalism," all of which may, in addition, contribute to the much higher level of national pride in America.

Table of results here:

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/new...asp?NewsID=815

Nice read Leader, I wonder why Europeans arent very proud? No really, thats a question lol.

Comment

Europeans approach issues philosophically I reckon.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Indeed, Americans are pretty the most patroitic citizens under the sun. Strange enough, its foreign policy rarely shows sympathy towards other countries' nationalism, such as the one American troops are facing in Iraq. I recommend this article on Foreign Policy magazine that provides in-depth thoughts into this paradoxes.

[QUOTE=Leader]
        On the other hand, as victims of terrorism in 2001, it is perhaps not surprising to see the unification of national pride amongst Americans with the overwhelming majority of adults (84% U.S. Harris Poll 2002) feeling very proud to be from the United States. Foreign observers of the United States have often been surprised by the frequent and open displays of American patriotism, the waving of the flag, the singing of "The Star-Spangled Banner" and the talk of "American exceptionalism," all of which may, in addition, contribute to the much higher level of national pride in America.

[QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by gulage
          Indeed, Americans are pretty the most patroitic citizens under the sun. Strange enough, its foreign policy rarely shows sympathy towards other countries' nationalism, such as the one American troops are facing in Iraq. I recommend this article on Foreign Policy magazine that provides in-depth thoughts into this paradoxes.
          Should we have supported German Nationalism during WW1 and WW2?

Comment

Patriots are fine, nationalists freak me out.
            No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
            I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
            even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
            He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Hell, I'm damn proud of my country. I like the way we take care of shit, the way our goverment is working at the moment, and the policies on fighting terrorism. Ya'll could learn a lesson from us
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86
                Hell, I'm damn proud of my country. I like the way we take care of shit, the way our goverment is working at the moment, and the policies on fighting terrorism. Ya'll could learn a lesson from us
                Learn lesson from your country?? We will be in, even greater shit than right now.

Comment

Originally posted by bodybag
                  Learn lesson from your country?? We will be in, even greater shit than right now.
                  You talk alot. What is your solution? What hasn't allready been tried? You don't think terrorists should be fought? Just let them do what they want?
                  I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                  even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                  He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Hey, I dunno bout you, but if I could find a way that would mean less deaths in Iraq, Afdirtistan and whereever, I would take it.
                    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
                      Patriots are fine, nationalists freak me out.
                      How do you define those words? This seems like an odd statement at first glance?

Comment

Pride in my country, depends what is ment by it.

Sure i like my country, its far from perfect though but i still want to live here and i like living here. But pride as in need to hang a flag infront of my door, sing the national anthem, no.

Lets say it like this, i like my country but i don't love it. I don't like our history either, but you got to live with it.

Patrioism and nationalism goes hand in hand in some ways. Good and bad. Note the "in some ways".
                        Last edited by AlexKall; 17 Jul 04,, 19:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Synikul
                          How do you define those words? This seems like an odd statement at first glance?
                          A patriot loves his country, and that is a wonderful thing because love is allways right. A nationalist believes his country can do no wrong, and that is a bad thing because the government can do whatever it wants.

Hope that helped. ;)

Comment

Indeed true although they do both have one thing in coman, they both love their country even though the other part think his country are invinsible, the best and a country who can do no worng, as you said.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKall
                              Indeed true although they do both have one thing in coman, they both love their country even though the other part think his country are invinsible, the best and a country who can do no worng, as you said.
                              I suppose, though I could see someone believing everything the government says, without question, and still not love his country. The end result is the same anyway. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X