Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

I have a problem with my computer. It seems that the DVD decoder is either incorrect or out of date, since when I pop a DVD in my DVD drive nothing happens. Any advice?
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Originally posted by leibstandarte10 View Post
    I have a problem with my computer. It seems that the DVD decoder is either incorrect or out of date, since when I pop a DVD in my DVD drive nothing happens. Any advice?
    Go to "My Computer" and see if the DVD Drive is being recognized. This same thing happened to my laptop a few weeks back (except the DVD drive was fine, it was the CD drive that was "lost"). I have no idea what had caused the computer to stop recognizing the CD Rom, but it did and I had to have the PC company send me a new drive to install. Afterwards, all is well.:)
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10 View Post
      Does it play any DVD ROM?

If it plays DVD ROM like installing a program, but doesn't play DVD movie, then you may need to update the codec of your DVD player.

If it doesn't even play DVD ROM, then the drive may be bad.

You can also test it by popping in a music CD or CD ROM to see if they work.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Okay, I ended up buying a new drive. Cost me a paltry $50, compared to the $300 I spent on the last one.
        "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Yeah, drives are cheap these days. I just bought a Lightscribe drive for $40. I have no idea how to use one or why I would use one when a marker is perfectly good...

Comment

Now I have another problem with my computer. It won't play games correctly. Sometimes the games or the computer will crash, sometimes it will be fine and then freeze for a bit then continue again. I'm pretty sure I have the wrong video driver installed, but I'm not sure. Any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by leib10 View Post
              Now I have another problem with my computer. It won't play games correctly. Sometimes the games or the computer will crash, sometimes it will be fine and then freeze for a bit then continue again. I'm pretty sure I have the wrong video driver installed, but I'm not sure. Any advice?
              Do you know what video card and what motherboard you have? Sometimes the wrong motherboard driver can affect your video card performance.

Comment

It's not the motherboard. I think I installed the incorrect driver for the video card. It's a NVIDIA GeForce FX5200.

Comment

ooooh, FX5200...that's gonna cause your game to studder and freeze by itself.

What game are you trying to run? FX5200 is notorious for its DX9 characteristics.

Comment

I'm trying to run HL2. But I've always had that card and never had a problem with it running HL2 until I installed an updated video driver.

Comment

Try one of these older drivers.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=10

Download one of these, possibly something in the late v7x.xx series. Uninstall your current driver. Reboot. Install the new one. You might have to try a few different ones. Go with WHQL drivers. They have fewer bugs.

Comment

Gunnut maybe you can help me,When I switch on a message appears across the screen saying .. "The System DLL user32 has been relocated in memory,the application will not run properly because the DLL:\Windows\system32\HHCTRL.OCX occupies and address reserved for windows" I have no idea what this means

Comment

I had no idea what hhctrl.ocx was until I did a search on google.

It's a part of ActiveX control that helps user's interaction with HTML language commonly used in browsers.

I did a quick experiment to see what happens if I rename the file so my computer doesn't know it's there. So far, it seems like my outlook program has a problem with scheduling reminders.

What you can do is go to the directory where this file is: c:\windows\system32\ and change the name from hhctrl.ocx to hhctrl.oc_ , that should confuse the computer so that it can't find it to load when you first boot up. If the problem persists, then you want to change the name back.

The problem your computer is trying to say is it loads this file into a part of memory address normally reserved for critical operation. Disabling this file might free up that space.

Oh yeah, c:\windows if you have Windows XP. c:\win2k if you have Windows 2000.

Comment

Bah, I give up. I'm going to buy a new (and better) computer in a few months anyway. Thanks for your help though.

Comment

Apple - Mac Pro

By the way, using bootcamp it will run all your manky old windows software in a window on the desktop. It'll make the computer run slow, but the software will go as fast as it will on your PC.;)
                              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                              X