No announcement yet.

Was Scotland involved in the Crusades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Scotland involved in the Crusades?

I was just wondering.

yes
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

How much involvement did Scotland have?

Comment

All the Christian kingdoms were answerable to the Church in Rome. When the Pope called for war, the knights of whatever country felt bound by their oaths to answer that call. So you could have knights of Scotland and England, Germany and France fighting shoulder to shoulder irrespective of any disputes between their respective countries. My own ancestors fought in the crusades and I, like nearly all their direct male descendants, have their Christian names incorporated into my own.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka View Post
          All the Christian kingdoms were answerable to the Church in Rome. When the Pope called for war, the knights of whatever country felt bound by their oaths to answer that call. So you could have knights of Scotland and England, Germany and France fighting shoulder to shoulder irrespective of any disputes between their respective countries. My own ancestors fought in the crusades and I, like nearly all their direct male descendants, have their Christian names incorporated into my own.
          There was never really (AFAIK) any major Scottish royal presence on crusade. Scotland was much too poor, and much too distant to send a large force. Many individual knights/mercenaries did take part. (partly, I suspect, the English wouldnt have been overly happy to see the Scots marching in force through England, no matter what the banner they carried.)

There is a study (Alan McQuarrie)- but only available through University press.

A couple of interesting snippets:
          Robert the Bruce's last request after his death (he always wanted to go Crusading) was that his heart be taken to Jerusalem by James "Black" Douglas , his closest friend. Black Douglas - being a warlike sort - heard that Alfonso of Spain was on crusade against the Moors in Granada. He joined, but was surrounded by foes.

Legend has it he threw the heart of Bruce, in a silver casket at his foes saying "Now pass thou onward before us, as thou wert wont, and I will follow thee or die." Die he did indeed...

Pope Urbans original papal bull called for all Christian nations to participate: including "Savage Scotland and warlike Ireland"... always rather liked that description.

Comment

Originally posted by PubFather View Post
            A couple of interesting snippets:
            Robert the Bruce's last request after his death (he always wanted to go Crusading) was that his heart be taken to Jerusalem by James "Black" Douglas , his closest friend. Black Douglas - being a warlike sort - heard that Alfonso of Spain was on crusade against the Moors in Granada. He joined, but was surrounded by foes.

Legend has it he threw the heart of Bruce, in a silver casket at his foes saying "Now pass thou onward before us, as thou wert wont, and I will follow thee or die." Die he did indeed...

Pope Urbans original papal bull called for all Christian nations to participate: including "Savage Scotland and warlike Ireland"... always rather liked that description.
            I know. Two of my ancestors died that day as well.

Leibniz

Comment

A simple Google search, Scotland+crusades, would give more information than anybody here could.
              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Working...
              X