PDA

View Full Version : Gay Marriage leads to Animal Marriage???

fickler
19 Jun 04,, 05:27
There are some who believe that by giving gays the rights to marriage, we’d be opening ourselves to future personal-rights movements such as the right to wed your pet. As crazy as this sounds, it’s true. What are your thoughts…

I heard they will parody this and similar topics on the Smoking Gun, which airs Monday/Tuesday, 10:30PM on Court TV.

Leader
19 Jun 04,, 05:30
I heard they will parody this and similar topics on the Smoking Gun, which airs Monday/Tuesday, 10:30PM on Court TV.

Are you some kind of Advertiser?

Confed999
19 Jun 04,, 05:36
LOL! How many animal marriages have there been in the Netherlands? Homosexuals have been allowed to marry there for a long time, and their biggest problem with it is the divorces, same as the heterosexuals.

ChrisF202
19 Jun 04,, 19:56
LOL! How many animal marriages have there been in the Netherlands? Homosexuals have been allowed to marry there for a long time, and their biggest problem with it is the divorces, same as the heterosexuals.
If they were to allow one to marry his dog, cat, etc. I would riot. This is simpily getting out of control. Somthing needs to be done to stop our culture and morals from spiraling out of control.

ZFBoxcar
19 Jun 04,, 20:40
Chris, do you consider gay marriage itself to be wrong or just that it could lead to more?

Praxus
19 Jun 04,, 20:45
The Government should not be in the buisness of issueing maraige lisence. If some Church or religion wants to marry some guy and goat. I say go right ahead.

Trooth
19 Jun 04,, 20:46
I think leader's response is the most apt to this topic.

ZFBoxcar
19 Jun 04,, 20:49
Praxus, good point. By even being allowed to take a stance on marriage, the government makes 2 violations of individual rights. 1 is state interference in individual's lives and the other is a violation of separation of church and state.

Confed999
20 Jun 04,, 00:55
The Government should not be in the buisness of issueing maraige lisence.
Wasn't the original excuse to pay for bookkeeping allowing easy inheritance, tax purposes, spousal employment benifits and so on? I don't think it's needed, but I do like that both people must come and sign that they are doing it of their own free will.

If some Church or religion wants to marry some guy and goat. I say go right ahead.
If they can show the goat is doing it of it's own free will then I say go ahead too.

Ray
20 Jun 04,, 02:46
If they can show the goat is doing it of it's own free will then I say go ahead too.

That was real funny.

But Praxus has a point. At this rate, it will not be man and wife, it would be man and goat!

Praxus
20 Jun 04,, 03:02
Wasn't the original excuse to pay for bookkeeping allowing easy inheritance, tax purposes, spousal employment benifits and so on? I don't think it's needed, but I do like that both people must come and sign that they are doing it of their own free will.

The last part I agree with. Sort of like a contract.

Ironduke
20 Jun 04,, 04:32
There are some who believe that by giving gays the rights to marriage, we’d be opening ourselves to future personal-rights movements such as the right to wed your pet. As crazy as this sounds, it’s true. What are your thoughts…

Slippery Slope (http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/distract/ss.htm)

Praxus
20 Jun 04,, 04:47
I love when someone's whole argument get's negated because it was based on a logical fallacy:-D

List
22 Jun 04,, 21:15
The government gives out marriage licenses for a number of reasons. Marriage(or civil unions) gives certain economic/social benefits to the married couple. Not all people practice a religion, and if the government wouldn't issue them a license, they wouldn't be able to get those benefits. If the government were to lose the ability to give out marriage licenses, and one were only able to receive them from religious institutions, the benefits received by married couples would have to be removed to keep things fair.

The government issuing marriage licenses has nothing to do with the separation of church and state. Churches and other religious institutions can still perform marriages, while those who do not practice a religion still have an institution that will marry them. Legalization of gay marriage only effects religious institutions if those institutions are forced to perform them, which they wouldn't be. Gay marriage is legal in Ontario, as well as other parts of Canada, this has not caused mass chaos, or animal marriage, and it has not interfered with the ability of religious institutions to wed whomever they chose to wed.

As a somewhat related side note, pot was decriminalized here for a brief period during the summer, and nothing bad happened as a result. Slippery slope arguments are almost always silly.

ZFBoxcar
23 Jun 04,, 23:13
I think Praxus means that there shouldn't be any legal/social/economic benifits given by the government for getting married as this money is from taxation (if I know Praxus at all, this is what he is saying :biggrin: )

Trooth
23 Jun 04,, 23:24
I thought another of the purposes of a marriage license was similar to a cheque clearing system.

Gives the local community a chance to find out that people are getting married. This can be a big deal if youur culture doesn't support bigmay. Or you wish to ensure people aren't too closely related. It also helps to ensure there is no coersion.

Confed999
24 Jun 04,, 00:26
It also helps to ensure there is no coersion.
That's pretty important. Personally I didn't have a problem paying the fee, or filling out the paperwork, but that's just me.