PDA

View Full Version : Fleet train WW1 and 2

smilingassassin
18 Jun 04,, 01:57
Does anyone have any knowledge on repair ships and Tenders of the two world wars? What equipment did they carry and what was the extent of the repairs they could make?

Dreadnought
09 Aug 05,, 17:53
Smiling I would start with the Vestal AR-4. (Torpedoed alongside of Arizona at Pearl). As far as repairs I would look at USS Piedmont AD-17 this was a dixie class destroyer repair ship during wwII. A close friends father served on her and there are pics of her below. Either way this is a great resource page..www.navsource.com. Hope this helps all ships are listed here for the USN including all tenders,colliers, oilers, replentishment ships etc.
Note: Vestal next to Washington (BB56) with bow destroyed after a collision with Indiana (BB58). Should have put this one under battle damage thread.lol :)

TopHatter
09 Aug 05,, 21:40
Nice shot of Washington...

OUCH :eek:

smilingassassin
10 Aug 05,, 10:42
Dreadnought, your ling doesn't work, however I think I have found this site recently already.

TopHatter, I agree, that pic of Washington is naaaaasty, you should see the other guy, namly Indiana. I haven't found the pic but Washington gave Indiana a nasty gash aft that nearly sank her!

Dreadnought
10 Aug 05,, 14:30
This was the only picture of Indiana (BB58) after the collision that I could find. This shows not only the collision damage but also shell damage to her starbord aft side. P.S. sorry about the link smiling it really is a good site for USN ships of all kinds.

TopHatter
10 Aug 05,, 23:47
Dreadnought, your ling doesn't work, however I think I have found this site recently already.

TopHatter, I agree, that pic of Washington is naaaaasty, you should see the other guy, namly Indiana. I haven't found the pic but Washington gave Indiana a nasty gash aft that nearly sank her!

http://www.navsource.org/ is the link

Fantastic website for pictures. Probably none better IMHO.

Dreadnought
11 Aug 05,, 12:54
Thanks TopHatter thats the link i meant to send and yes its one of the best sites that I have seen yet.

smilingassassin
14 Aug 05,, 10:48
I was under the impression that Indiana had a deep gash in her side from Washingtons bow.

Dreadnought
15 Aug 05,, 17:38
She did Smiling the shell" indicators on the pic indicate breach in the "shell" armor plating not a "shell" as in fired from a weapon. She sustained a deep gash in the starbord aft section and they say they almost lost her from severe stern flooding. Both ship were patched up at Pearl enough to get them back to the U.S. Washington came back to Philly Naval base to have a new bow fitted to her and I believe Indiana was completely repaired at Pearl.