X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Media is spinning the 9/11 commission's report

Wednesday, June 16, 2004 1:13 p.m. EDT
    Media Mislead on 9/11 Commission Finding on Iraq-al Qaida Link

Reports Wednesday morning that the 9/11 Commission has determined there was no cooperation between Iraq and al-Qaida are completely false - and are undoubtedly driven by the media's determination to contradict the Bush administration's claims that such a link exists.

"9/11 Panel Says Iraq Rebuffed Bin Laden" reads the headline on the Associated Press report on today's Commission staff statement.

But that's not what the Commission staff report actually said.

The below passage, for instance, does more to confirm the Bush administration's claims of an Iraq-al Qaida link than it does to contradict them.

"The Sudanese, to protect their own ties with Iraq, reportedly persuaded Bin Ladin* to cease [support for anti-Saddam Islamists in Northern Iraq] and arranged for contacts between Iraq and al Qaeda*.

"A senior Iraqi intelligence officer reportedly made three visits to Sudan, finally meeting Bin Ladin in 1994. Bin Ladin is said to have requested space to establish training camps, as well as assistance in procuring weapons, but Iraq apparently never responded." [Staff Statement No. 15, Page 5]

Apparently never responded? How, pray tell, does the AP derive from those words the conclusive claim that Iraq "rebuffed" bin Laden?

The Commission statement continues:

"There have been reports that contacts between Iraq and al Qaeda also occurred after Bin Ladin had returned to Afghanistan, but they do not appear to have resulted in a collaborative relationship."

What's the evidence for this less-than-conclusive surmise?

"Two senior Bin Ladin associates have adamantly denied that any ties existed between al Qaeda and Iraq," says the Commission.

Such a statement begs the question: Why does the Commission, let alone the press, take the word of two senior bin Laden associates over, say, Iraq's new prime minister, Iyad Allawi.

Last December he told the London Telegraph, "We are uncovering evidence all the time of Saddam's involvement with al-Qaeda."

Reacting to the discovery of an Iraqi intelligence document placing 9/11 hijacker Mohamed Atta in Baghdad two months before the attacks, he continued:

"This is the most compelling piece of evidence that we have found so far. It shows that not only did Saddam have contacts with al-Qaeda, he had contact with those responsible for the September 11 attacks."

In fact, nowhere does the Commission make the claim that Iraq and al-Qaida never cooperated. What it does say is "We have no credible evidence that Iraq and al Qaeda cooperated on attacks against the United States." [NewsMax italics]

Apparently Dr. Allawi's asssement counts for nothing.

Even so, it's worth noting that elsewhere in today's staff statement, the 9/11 Commission asserts:

"With al Qaeda at its foundation, Bin Ladin sought to build a broader Islamic Army that included terrorist groups from Egypt, Libya, Saudi Arabia and Oman, Tunisia, Jordan, Iraq, Lebanon, Morocco, Somalia, and Eritrea. Not all [terrorist] groups from these states agreed to join, but at least one from each did." [Staff Statement No. 15, Page 3]

In other words, at least one terror group from Iraq did form an alliance with bin Laden.

Another problem: If the press is going to take today's staff statement as gospel, certain long-held media assumptions will need to be drastically revised, such as the widely accepted notion that al-Qaida was involved in the first World Trade Center bombing.

Not true, says the Commission.

"Whether Bin Ladin and his organization had roles in the 1993 attack on the World Trade Center ... remains a matter of substantial uncertainty," the staff statement says, before insisting, "We have no conclusive evidence" of a bin Laden link. [Staff Statement No. 15, Page 6]

The same goes for "Operation Bojinka," the 1995 plot to hijack 12 airliners hatched by Ramzi Yousef and Khalid Sheikh Mohammed that experts say was the blueprint for the 9/11 attacks.

"[Mohammed] was not, however, an al Qaeda member at the time of the Manilla [Bojinka] plot," Commission staffers say, even though they acknowledge that he went on to mastermind the 9/11 attacks.

The press is furiously spinning the 9/11 Commission staff statement in a bid to discredit the Bush administration. Americans should go to the Sept. 11 Commission Web site and read the conclusions for themselves: http://www.9-11commission.gov/

http://www.newsmax.com/printer.cfm?p...6/132355.shtml

Originally posted by Leader
    Media Mislead on 9/11 Commission Finding on Iraq-al Qaida Link
    The media here is such a joke.
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Its more of a joke in the ME......but in general its a joke right accross the board.
      Bad, sensational, scandalous news sells, the truth gets a breif 2 seconds of fame...
      Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
        The media here is such a joke.
        It gets serious when people start believing this crap, and then when you tell them the truth, they say you’re lying because the media told them otherwise.

Comment

So now the media is a joke as big a joke as the Congress Commission! I am sure the Commission because of the new statements are no longer not credible.

I will still go by the Congress.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
            So now the media is a joke as big a joke as the Congress Commission! I am sure the Commission because of the new statements are no longer not credible.

I will still go by the Congress.
            This artical is simply showing how the liberal press just takes little bits of info to support their position (the Kerry for Prez side) and skip the rest. This story provides a few more bits of info, quoted from the same document, to support the other side (the save us from Kerry side). It's all still from the 9/11 comission.
            I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
            even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
            He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Confed,

Fine. However, ever since I learnt that he threw someone else's medals and claimed that it was his during a protest, I don't think much of him.

More than anything else, I feel there should be some honesty of purpose. At least, even if one may not subscribe to all of Bush's ways, at least he is honest about them.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

It gets serious when people start believing this crap, and then when you tell them the truth, they say you’re lying because the media told them otherwise.
                Just like my liberal friend, I showed him the BBC article about Putin saying Saddam planned to attack us. And he said its not true b/c the Commission said Saddam was free of all terrorist ties. The liberal media is a disgrace to the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                  Confed,

Fine. However, ever since I learnt that he threw someone else's medals and claimed that it was his during a protest, I don't think much of him.

More than anything else, I feel there should be some honesty of purpose. At least, even if one may not subscribe to all of Bush's ways, at least he is honest about them.
                  Ray, where did you read Kerry threw somebody elses medal? That is just Republican propoganda which is now completely refuted.

Kerry during the protest did not throw any medal, he just threw the ribbons. If you want to links, I can dig it up for you.

Bush honest? You must be kidding!

Comment

Truth from your right wing media? Give me a break!

Comment

Originally posted by ursamajor
                      Ray, where did you read Kerry threw somebody elses medal? That is just Republican propoganda which is now completely refuted.
                      You didn't hear about that ursa? Here I'll hook you up with a copy from an ultra-left source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselection...204084,00.html
                      In the 1971 interview Mr Kerry was asked how many of his medals he had given up and he replied: "I gave back - I can't remember - six, seven, eight, nine."
                      Kerry during the protest did not throw any medal, he just threw the ribbons. If you want to links, I can dig it up for you.
                      I've just decided you are a troll. You post falsehoods. You don't even read your boy's website. Now the Kerry campaign website @ johnkerry.com says:
                      For Kerry, who was already laying the groundwork for a political career, the decision whether to scatter his medals on the Capital steps was an agonizing one; in the end, he tossed his ribbons over the fence, along with some medals entrusted to him by two other vets who couldn't be there but kept his medals.

Bush honest? You must be kidding!
                      When did he lie? You have proof or are you just trolling?

Truth from your right wing media? Give me a break!
                      LOL! You need to give that up, you said the same thing about a thread based on a CNN story. Go away troll, or start acting like a person and debating your stance. BTW, a debate requires some research, and not just what you remember from some protest rally run by commies.

Comment

Working...
                      X