Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who do you think the Vikings could beat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who do you think the Vikings could beat?

Let's say the Vikings are led by their best king ever. The Viking Age IIRC was from the late 8th to late 11th centuries. What civilizations, peoples, etc do you think the Norsemen could defeat?

Hmm...apparently my thread isn't getting much in terms of results. So I guess I'll put together some fights:
    -Vikings VS Romans (early or late Roman Empire, but not when it was at its peak)
    -Vikings VS Mongols (1st fight led by Genghis, 2nd fight led by anyone else, this can be at any point in the time of the Mongol Empire)
    -Vikings VS Huns (1st fight led by Attila, 2nd fight led by anyone else, this can be at any point in the time of the Mongol Empire)
    -Vikings VS Greeks
    -Vikings VS Israelites (note that for the fights where the Vikings have to cross harsh terrain, just assume that for whatever reason they can easily survive in and cross the deserts and stuff)
    -Vikings VS Egyptians
    -Vikings VS Persians
    -Vikings VS Assyrians
    -Vikings VS Scotsmen (say, 9th century Scotsmen)
    -Vikings VS Celts (Irish Celts)
    -Vikings VS Anglo-Saxons
    -Vikings VS Gauls (1st fight the Gauls are led by Vercingetorix, 2nd time led by anyone else)
    -Vikings VS Chinese (in the time of the Viking Age)
    -Vikings VS Japanese (also Viking Age, which I guess the height of was in the 9th century, at least I think)
    -Vikings VS ancient Germanics
    -Vikings VS Franks (although I guess this is pretty predetermined, since the Vikings beat the French and settled part of it, creating Normandy, but let me know what you think)
    -Vikings VS Arabs/Saracens (1st fight led by Saladin, 2nd led by anyone else)
    -Vikings VS Russians
    -Vikings VS American/Canadian Indians
    -Vikings VS East Indians (the kind from India, not the other kind of Indian)
    -Vikings VS Africans
    -Vikings VS Incas/Incans
    -Vikings VS Mayans
    -Vikings VS Aztecs
    -Vikings VS Olmecs
    -Vikings VS Crusaders
    -Vikings VS Carthaginians (1st fight led by Hannibal, 2nd led by anyone else)
    -Vikings VS Macedonians (1st fight led by Alexander, 2nd fight led by anyone else)
    -Vikings VS Sumerians
    -Vikings VS Babylonians
    -Vikings VS Mesopotamians
    -Vikings VS Turks

Assume that the Vikings are as tough as they were in the height of the Viking Age and that they're all pagan and cannot be converted to other religions. Also, don't forget that it applies for this fight that the Vikings are led by their best and toughest king/leader/ruler. And another thing of note is that no gunpowder or explosives are allowed. The Vikings, for the case of these fights, are unified and will never fight each other, only the enemies.

Comment

Vikings VS Turks

score: 1-1

Vikings were stipendiarian in Byzantium army and in another army. Turks got the first round and Vikings got the second one. We have also a historical/fantastic movie about Vikings and Turks.

Comment

-Vikings VS Mongols (1st fight led by Genghis, 2nd fight led by anyone else, The Mongols smashed the Rus principalities on both European expiditions

-Vikings VS Scotsmen Oh Lord save us from the foul Norsemen. Plenty of Lowland Scots were givena blood eagle

-Vikings VS Celts (Irish Celts), The Vikings took/created Dublin

-Vikings VS Anglo-Saxons The Vikings exterminated the Saxon kindgoms of England

-Vikings VS Franks The Vikinhs carved Normady out of Frankish lands
        -
        -Vikings VS Russians The Vikings founded modern Russian society

-Vikings VS American/Canadian Indians Vikings were unable to keep colonies on the North American coast

-Vikings VS Turks, The Turks feared the Vangarian Guard

Comment

The obvious candidate would of course be Canute the ”Great”, who for a brief moment in history, in the 11th Century was king of most of Scandinavia and England. Actually he was more a Dane then a Viking, as this was in last part of the “so-called” Viking age.
          If he’d a had the full power of these lands behind him, there probably wouldn’t have been a power in Europe to stop him, until he had reached the kingdoms of Almohad Iberia and the rest of the Muslim kingdoms.
          But then the same could be said for any of the ethnic tribes in Europe, like the English, French and others, if they had united instead of spending their time fighting each other they could have overcome the rest, but they weren’t capable of such an enterprise… yet.
          When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

-Vikings VS Incas/Incans
            -Vikings VS Mayans
            -Vikings VS Aztecs

The Vikings would own those three. The Spaniards had no problem with them and they weren't known to be great warriors. Although if the Aztecs didn't have their sacrifice fetish they might of stood a chance.

Oh, and the Olmecs would of also been massacred.

Comment

Hey, I'll take up for hte Hidalgos.

The Spanish had just completed their existential fight with the moors in 1492. I bet there were quite a few hardened veterans taking it to the Aztecs/Incas, etc. FWIW, I had hte impression that the Spanish had the best european warriors/army in those days. I would like some more data on this point, however.

But, I agree, the Vikings would have eaten their lunch due to the nature of the pre-Columbian cultures, especially WRT warfighting.
              Regards,

jfruser

"Western Civilization is worth fighting for."
              ----jfruser

"We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."
              ----George Orwell

Come on out & let's go shootin'!

Comment

ok listen up fools , the spanish had guns it was this advanced weaponry and disease brought from Europe that wiped out the indigenous people of south America , a battle involving spears and shields and swords etc etc , well i think the aztecs were very ruthless and would give most other warriors a run for their money , and the incans were also good fighters and extremely strong.

Comment

someone have mercy on the kittens
                  No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

At least the Vikings never necro-posted....

Comment

The Minnesota Vikings are 2-6 and are at the bottom of the pack
                      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Some kitten will see Valhalla soon.I drink from my horn to that.Hey,slave,fetch me that barrell of beer.
                        Those who know don't speak
                        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Mihais...you're just getting weird, dude...

Comment

Yellowfever Reply

"Mihais...you're just getting weird, dude..."

Bullsh!t. He calls for the ritual sacrifice. As it is written, so shall it be-
                            Attached Files
                            "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

"-Vikings VS Anglo-Saxons The Vikings exterminated the Saxon kindgoms of England"

The last Viking invasion of England ended at Stamford Bridge. Unless you maintain that Harold was a 'viking' I can't call that extermination. You could possibly maintain that the Normans were 4th generation vikings, from Rolo but if so this makes ALL Norman victories, from Sicily to Antioch 'viking' victories.

Comment

Working...
                              X