X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24th MEU departs Lejeune, bound for Iraq

24th MEU departs Lejeune, bound for Iraq

Associated Press

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. — About 250 Marines are to ship out this week for Iraq, as the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit begins its deployment in the Middle East.
    The rest of the unit’s 2,200 Marines and sailors are to head to Iraq over the next few weeks, according to a statement issued Tuesday.

Most of the first group will be members of the MEU’s aviation squadron, though others will be ground-combat Marines or members of the unit’s command and combat service support elements.

They are to board the amphibious assault ship Kearsarge on Wednesday, taking the unit’s 12 CH-46E helicopters with them, and the ship is to depart on Friday. At the same time, some of the unit’s trucks and Humvees will be put aboard a chartered commercial vessel to be shipped to Iraq.

The rest of the unit is to travel to Iraq by air, skipping the usual lengthy sea voyage in order to reach the Middle East more quickly.

About 850 Marines who are members of the MEU’s battalion landing team will head first in the opposite direction — to March Air Force Base, Calif., for training in security, the statement said.

http://www.marinetimes.com/story.php...25-2992638.php
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Were becoming more and more overstreached by Iraq. Something needs to be done.

Comment

As these Units are being shiped over, some units are coming home as well. We are not continuely throwing more and more troops. It's troop rotation.

Comment

Best of luck guys!
        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
          Best of luck guys!
          I second that, though I imagine most battalions and regiments come back from Iraq with no combat deaths, wounded is another story.

Praxus, If we have had to call up the Select Ready Reserve, then we are in deep shit.

Comment

Working...
          X