Clear All

• USAF reveals F-22 capabilities

World News & Analysis
    F/A-22 Secrets Revealed
    Aviation Week & Space Technology
    05/24/2004, page 24

David A. Fulghum
    Tyndall AFB, Fla. and Marietta, Ga.

F/A-22 supporters bare secrets of the electronically sophisticated stealth design to show that it's much more than a fighter

Raptor Unwrapped

With long-term military budget cuts looming once again, the U.S. Air Force and Lockheed Martin are finally talking about some of the F/A-22 Raptor's closely held secrets that they hope will keep Congress paying for the $132-million stealth aircraft.

While these conversations, many of them informal, didn't touch on "even one-third of its classified capabilities," according to one pilot, they included the ability to hunt down and destroy cruise missiles well behind enemy lines, the introduction of a new missile that allows the head-on attack and destruction of stealthy enemy missiles, a tailless bomber derivative design, a planned electronic attack capability so powerful that it actually damages enemy electronics, and modifications that would allow the aircraft's electronic package to invade enemy computer networks.

The tone of the conversations was sharpened by a still-unreleased report about the series of air combat training engagements earlier this year between Indian air force Su-30MKs and F-15Cs from Elmendorf AFB, Alaska; the latter were equipped with the U.S.' newest long-range, high-definition radars.

Those who have read draft copies of the report say the Su-30MKs and F-15 pilots were seeing each other at the same time with their radars, but the Indian pilots were getting off the simulated first shot with their AA-10 Alamo missiles and often winning the long-range engagements. The Indian pilots also had more flight time in the previous year than the U.S. pilots, roughly 300 hr. compared with 250 hr., the pilot said.

Those factors are causing the U.S. to rethink the formula that they always will be facing less well-trained pilots and inferior weaponry. They also reinforce the argument that the U.S. needs a fighter with greater radar range (the F/A-22's is more than 100 naut. mi.), stealth (the F-15 has a huge radar cross section) and fused sensors so that pilots can easily grasp what's going on around them.

Key to the F/A-22's capabilities is a complex of passive sensors, basically for electronic surveillance, that line the outside edges of the fighter's wings and tail surfaces. They gather electronic emissions at frequencies up to 18 GHz., sort them by time and angle of arrival for location, and analyze the signature automatically for rapid identification. Electronic data are fused with detailed RCS signatures gathered by the radar for additional identification.

HOW MANY F/A-22S the Air Force eventually gets is still a crap shoot. Estimates range from a service requirement for more than 400 to pessimistic predictions of only 100-150 if the congressional budgeters, soured by the growing cost of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, are unsympathetic.

A primary mission for the F/A-22 is slated to be cruise missile interception well behind enemy lines. "A cruise missile has stealth in only one direction--straight ahead," says Lt. Col. Mike Stapleton, operations officer for the 43rd Fighter Sqdn. The F-22s would operate in an extended picket line so they can look at cruise missiles to either side of their patrol area from a beam aspect where the missile is not low-observable. In addition, the new, 200-naut.-mi. AESA radar, in development for the E-10 surveillance aircraft, is to provide key cueing of cruise missile locations.

Tactics used by cruise missile operators are instructive. One option is to send waves of 10 missiles that would pull defenses to one side while a following wave slips through. Another is to disperse a large launch into many directions so that some actually approach the targets from behind. Those tactics have led the U.S. to plan a multi-layered defense that begins with F-22s deep in enemy territory.

While F-22s would normally operate at the 45,000-50,000-ft. level, for cruise missile defense they would drop into the middle altitudes around 25,000-30,000 ft. That would allow them the flexibility to combat both AS-4 "Kitchen" or CAS-1 "Kraken"-type, high-speed, air-launched missiles (predictable course, but little time to react) or to pick "Silkworm"-type missiles (low speed, but unpredictable course) out of ground clutter. Detailed information on missiles that leaked through the F/A-22 line would be sent by data link to second and third defensive layers comprising AESA-radar-equipped F-15s and F/A-18Es operating in less well-defended areas.

Four of the initial seven cadre pilots in the 43nd Fighter Sqdn., the Air Force's first F/A-22 squadron, came from the AESA-equipped F-15 squadrons in Alaska, where they developed concepts for airborne cruise missile defense, Stapleton says. While F/A-22 crews will train to attack cruise missiles with AIM-9s and 20-mm. cannon, the primary weapon will be the AIM-120C Amraam. A variant, the AIM-120C-6 (available by 2006), has been specialized with an improved seeker to optimize the explosive cone of destruction for small, slow targets in a head-on engagement with the F/A-22. The upgraded Amraam incorporates improved fuzing through a new quadrant target-detection device. One tactic for the F-22s will be to approach a wave of cruise missiles head-on, get in a first shot and then turn at Mach 1.7 supercruise speed for a second and third shot from behind.

F/A-22S ASSIGNED the cruise missile defense mission would carry at least six Amraams and possibly more when a compressed-carriage AIM-120 design is fielded, says J.R. McDonald, director of Lockheed Martin's F/A-22 program. The range of the F/A-22 can be extended with two 600-gal., low-observable fuel tanks carried on two inboard hard points that are plumbed to transfer fuel. However, there are a number of concepts for a larger, longer range FB-22 that could also carry a larger weapons payload. McDonald says the weapons bay on either the F/A-22 or FB-22 concepts could be enlarged to carry more missiles. Moreover, because of the improvements in stealth coatings, shaping and RCS predictability, the changes could be made while actually improving the signature of the aircraft, he says.

Some of the FB-22 derivative concepts being proposed by Lockheed Martin include both one- and two-seat options, with and without a vertical tail, McDonald said. The tailless version would be possible because the wing would be expanded and made large enough to carry sufficient flight control surfaces to provide adequate aerodynamic authority.

"We have a smorgasbord of options," McDonald said. The objective is to preserve all the attributes of the F/A-22--stealth, speed, integrated avionics--while giving up a bit of agility in order to field a stable bombing platform. The aircraft would also be designed to control a wide range of unmanned reconnaissance and strike aircraft.

Shaken by the results from exercises with well-trained Indian Su-30MK pilots, U.S. planners are reassessing the threat from top-line, non-U.S.-built fighter aircraft.Credit: USAF TSGT. MIKE AMMONS

Most intriguing about the F/A-22's future were hints from various sources that the fighter would have drastically improved electronic attack capability and would introduce computer network attack to its arsenal. Critics say some of the planning borders on the fanciful. Officials have acknowledged that the F/A-22's AESA radar has a projected capability to concentrate its transmission power onto a narrow spot--most likely the electronic radars and communication links associated with air defenses--with enough focus to jam them. The Thor jamming system is to be active in 2008. Those working on improvements say that with the addition of radar cheek arrays to the aircraft in 2010, it would be able to focus enough energy in a beam to actually damage electronic components in enemy sensors.

An associated capability is airborne computer network attack that, under project Suter, currently resides with the EC-130 Compass Call. However, the aircraft is large, slow and can't penetrate defended airspace. Futurists say a further modified F/A-22 will be able to operate over key targets and carry out computer attack or surveillance with much less power. "If you're 5 mi. from the threat, you don't need the power of Compass Call" to penetrate an enemy computer network, says one official.

The tone of the conversations was sharpened by a still-unreleased report about the series of air combat training engagements earlier this year between Indian air force Su-30MKs and F-15Cs from Elmendorf AFB, Alaska; the latter were equipped with the U.S.' newest long-range, high-definition radars.

Those who have read draft copies of the report say the Su-30MKs and F-15 pilots were seeing each other at the same time with their radars, but the Indian pilots were getting off the simulated first shot with their AA-10 Alamo missiles and often winning the long-range engagements. The Indian pilots also had more flight time in the previous year than the U.S. pilots, roughly 300 hr. compared with 250 hr., the pilot said.
    I posted this sometime back in BR :)

the report might be true or somebody is playing cards so that Congress will approve more F-22's.
    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

It appears to be true.

I've been saying for over two years the SU-30MkI is waaaaay out of the F-15Cs league.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
        It appears to be true.

I've been saying for over two years the SU-30MkI is waaaaay out of the F-15Cs league.
        The F/A-22 is waaaay out of the Su-30MKI league, and I believe that's your point:)

Comment

Indeed it is my good fellow. ;)

Comment

what kind of force levels are the US looking at for the F/A 22? I've heard numbers from 400+ to a 200 'silver bullet' level.
            Secondly, won't the F/B 22 version make more sense for the USAF in the current scenario? I don't think it's likely that India and the US will go to war any time soon.
            More importantly, the 1st US force to engage in any conflict with China is most likely to be a USN CBG... so why the hell isn't a carrier based F/A 22 joining the navy instead of the overhyped ('its not a plane its an airforce') F/A 18 E/F? All this talk about cruise missile hunting looks much more relevant to the USN, IMHO.
            Faced with say a 100-150 missile strike, the F/A 22 + Hawkeye2000 + AEGIS + SM2ER combo would be perfect. AND it would be layered, with F/A 18s and/or JSFs providing a backup to the F/A 22.
            Whatcha think?

Comment

The F-22 will have a massive ground attack capability.

Don't let the fact that it's easily the most advanced and dominating fighter ever devised lull you into the belief that it's not also a tremendously capable attack aircraft....it is.

Once the SDB is introduced into service the F-22 will have the ability to strike into the heart of any defensive network with super-advanced and highly accurate stand-off bombs.

An F-22 will carry 6 SDBs.

The F-22 is almost the ideal platform for the extremely important mission of SEAD.

I think in the end, by the time all production is finally over, you'll see as many as 600 F-22s in US service.

Comment

agreed...

The F-22 will have a massive ground attack capability.
                ... I never doubted the fact. I am just saying that perhaps it would make more sense for the US to invest in a stealthy F14 replacement given that 1)It's most obvious hightech rival is China, & 2) The 1st US force to engage the Chinese would probably be a USN CBG...

As for SEAD, I should think a '1st day of war' SEAD strike would comprise of X(A?) 45s by 2010... or is that an optimistic guesstimate?

I think in the end, by the time all production is finally over, you'll see as many as 600 F-22s in US service.
                Thats an $80bn procurement program alone, based on a $132mn unit price... upgrades etc will push it to over $100-120bn, I think it is safe to say. Is that justifiable expenditure given that by 2020 we can expect fighter UCAVs from the US? This could just turn out to be a 2nd B-1b... redundant by the time it entered full service.
                I'm only asking for opinions, I hope I'm not offending anybody.

Comment

You could never morph the 22 into a seagoing aircraft. The structural mods needed would defy imagination. Indeed it would have to be a totally different aircraft internaly. You would need heavier gear for traps and heavier nose gear for the cat shots. The trade off would be a loss of useable fuel and / or weapons. Also I have no idea what the salt air would do to the skin of the aircraft. (note to self ask A10 Stress) Along with that I dont know what all that extra internal bracing would do to the CG that is so critical in that aircraft in particular due to the variable geometry nozzles. Oh yeah and we would definetly need to put Martin baker seats in that puppy just for traditions sake.
                  "Now we shall have ourselves a pell mell battle!" ......The Immortal Memory, Admiral Nelson

Comment

Does anybody have information about the range of F-22? Every source states it is way superior of F-15 but no figure is out.... I am curious because fighting cruise missiles on an enemy's territory would required Raptor to have at least 4-5 thousand km flight range wihtout refueling

Comment

have you guys heard of the joint strike fighter? the one the airforce, navy and marines are gonna get? its cheap to build and the marine ones are gonna be able to do verticale take off. i also think its gonna be stealth..
                      "I'm against picketting, but i dont know how to show it"

Comment

Yes, the F-35 is stealth, but the program has a lot of problems right now....particularly the B model.

Wait, strike that- the B model is the problem. That's the USMC VSTOL variant.
                        It will never see service- you read that here first. ;)

The F-35A and F-35C so far appear to be real hotrods.

Comment

Yes, the F-35 is stealth, but the program has a lot of problems right now....particularly the B model.

Wait, strike that- the B model is the problem. That's the USMC VSTOL variant.
                          It will never see service- you read that here first. ;)

The F-35A and F-35C so far appear to be real hotrods.
                          Sorry Man. If any of the F-35s (F-22 Jr) are going to see service it will be the Marine Corps Version (B). Lest not forget the Royal Navy is banking (pun intended) heavily on this as the descions and progress on the JSF will directley effect their new carrier design of the future. Plus, the Marine Corp allways get what they want.
                          ~ Gary Mikami ~
                          Live 'N Let Live!

Comment

did anybody stated the range capabilities of F22?
                            can anybody confirm that F-22 does not have 360 degrees thrust verctoring?

seems like we all have more legends than actual information about its actual capabilities.....

Comment

Originally posted by Garry
                              did anybody stated the range capabilities of F22?
                              can anybody confirm that F-22 does not have 360 degrees thrust verctoring?

seems like we all have more legends than actual information about its actual capabilities.....
                              I cant say about F22's range . But what do u mean by 360 degree thrust vectoring.

WE measure TVC in 2 ways one is if its 2D or 3D i.e. exhaust can be moved only in one plane or in both horizontal and vertical plane.
                              Secondly by how much angle can u move the exhaust. Clearly 360 degree is in this case equal to 0 degree and thus needs no TVC .The best u can get is 90 degree on both sides but frankly already with much lesser angles(i dont emember the exact figures) it has become up to the pilots capability about how much it can use Fighters like F22 and MKi can manouvere way beyond what pilots can handle

Comment

Working...
                              X