PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Advertisements

Chris
21 Oct 06,, 14:36
World Affairs Board is continuing to grow in terms of members, posts and overall traffic but our advertising revenue is not growing with it unfortunately. We certainly don't expect the advertisements to cover all the operational costs but if they can offset a good portion of them then that would be fantastic.

We have gone ahead and made some changes to the advertisement positions to make them a little more prominent and hopefully increase click through ratios. Useful links to Google's Picasa photo editing software and their Bundled Utility Package which includes Fire Fox etc. have also been added.

I hope these new links up the top might prove useful to a few members but they are also there to try and generate from revenue for WAB. We receive a commission from Google for example for everyone who clicks through and installs the Google Pack.

As noted previously we do not plan on introducing any intrusive advertising such as pop-ups or pop-under adverts and membership at WAB will remain free for all.

Thank you for your continued support :)

ArmchairGeneral
21 Oct 06,, 18:03
Aha. That explains it. Thanks for the heads-up.

Draconion
21 Oct 06,, 18:24
do clicks alone count for you'll..i dont mind ckicking a couple of times on the google thingy...if that'll do you'll good..:)

Srirangan
23 Oct 06,, 18:30
We certainly don't expect the advertisements to cover all the operational costs but if they can offset a good portion of them then that would be fantastic.
No no, you can. But you'll have to monetize smartly. Generally Google Adsense and other Contextual CPC programs won't do very well on internet forums.

TopHatter
23 Oct 06,, 18:42
As noted previously we do not plan on introducing any intrusive advertising such as pop-ups or pop-under adverts and membership at WAB will remain free for all.

I personally think that those are the 2 most important points. :)

brak
24 Oct 06,, 03:17
click click click. :biggrin:

THL
24 Oct 06,, 13:00
Didnt we go through this "clicking-talk" once before and we were all suppose to click twice or thrice per day? :confused:

I know I have been slacking in the clicking department.

:) Just a few clicks a day keeps the advertisements away. :)

Ray
24 Oct 06,, 20:37
I click.

You should also click.

Clickity click is the buzzword.

So go ahead. It won't hurt your mouse!

brak
24 Oct 06,, 22:45
Interesting Ads :biggrin:

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/6637/interestingadsha8.jpg

THL
24 Oct 06,, 23:07
I click.

You should also click.

Clickity click is the buzzword.

So go ahead. It won't hurt your mouse!

I clicked! :)

(and it was the best click ever!;) )

Srirangan
25 Oct 06,, 06:21
Didnt we go through this "clicking-talk" once before and we were all suppose to click twice or thrice per day? :confused:

I know I have been slacking in the clicking department.

:) Just a few clicks a day keeps the advertisements away. :)
Isn't that illegal? Unnatural clicks. The folks at Google don't like them and you could get Chris in trouble.

HistoricalDavid
25 Oct 06,, 14:18
Interesting Ads :biggrin:

I also saw one advertising holidays to North Korea.

TopHatter
25 Oct 06,, 14:26

That would actually be fascinating. If I had the money I'd definitely go.

Don't know if the U.S. government would allow it though.

glyn
25 Oct 06,, 14:40

A (rather eccentric) chum of mine applied to visit North Korea some years ago. The reply he got back said it wasn't possible as the tourism department was over-subscribed, and they had already received 108 applications.

HistoricalDavid
25 Oct 06,, 17:09
Don't know if the U.S. government would allow it though.

The US government would, obviously. But the NK government might not, they'd have to make a rare exception for a Yankee imperialist invader like yourself.

108 applications.[/COLOR]

I'm surprised it was that high!

TopHatter
25 Oct 06,, 18:25
The US government would, obviously. But the NK government might not, they'd have to make a rare exception for a Yankee imperialist invader like yourself.

I just did some checking. Apparently it's legal for U.S. citizens to travel to North Korea, but you'll need a North Korean visa, and likely a Chinese visa as well (since you'll be probably be entered the DPRK through the PRC).

In short, it seems like a colossal hassle, even with a specialized travel agency.

As for the DPRK's attitude towards imperialist running dogs (I love being a running dog! :biggrin: )such as myself, here is the State Department's take:

The DPRK has recently attempted to attract foreign tourists as a means of earning much needed foreign currency, but an underdeveloped service sector, inadequate infrastructure, and political tensions with surrounding countries have stymied these efforts. North Korea’s efforts to expand tourism have focused primarily on group tours from China and South Korea to the Mount Kumgang tourist area.
Still and all, it's at least possible.

THL
25 Oct 06,, 20:54
Isn't that illegal? Unnatural clicks. The folks at Google don't like them and you could get Chris in trouble.

Illegal clicks? I dont think so. But then again, I don't work for Google. There was a thread months back about the clicking (but I don't have the drive to search for it right now).

Jay
26 Oct 06,, 04:25
The best way to make money for the site is by downloading google pack software thats listed on the top. Even if you install it once, keep on downloading, you can always delete it. This is the easiest legal way of doing it, ofcourse assuming that google does not differentiate who downloads the software how many times.

Srirangan
26 Oct 06,, 05:48
Illegal clicks? I dont think so. But then again, I don't work for Google. There was a thread months back about the clicking (but I don't have the drive to search for it right now).
I'm pretty sure asking people to click on your Google ads isn't considered very nice by the folks at Adsense. To make WAB profitabe Chris will have to work a bit smarter, putting Google Ads and then running away ain't the best way. :)

Srirangan
26 Oct 06,, 05:51
This is the easiest legal way of doing it, ofcourse assuming that google does not differentiate who downloads the software how many times.
Ofcourse they do. This is Google we are talking about.

If you religiously click on 1 ad a day on WAB for about 30-45 days, Google will get a pretty clear idea that something is not right on the type of clicks generated from WAB. Nobody goes to a site only to click ads, you can do it for 15-20 days but doing it for more than a month without fail is a trigger that gives it away.

WAB is an excellent forum, it can make money (a lot of) by just some smart monetizing/marketing. It doesn't need to resort to click fraud.

Jay
26 Oct 06,, 07:12
I agree with Sri. I suggest the mods to delete this thread. I remember Google sued some body for Adsense fraud (some one who employed some housewives in India to keep clicking on the ads).

brak
26 Oct 06,, 07:55

I have a few pics of north korea taken by a russian tourist/journalist..ill post them later :)