Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saudi Arabia to increase oil production

US: More oil from Saudi Arabia

Energy secretary says world's largest oil producer pledges to pump more oil in June.
    May 23, 2004: 6:56 PM EDT

AMSTERDAM (CNN) - Saudi Arabia has agreed to increase its oil output starting next month by 28 percent and is "prepared" to increase output to its capacity of 10.5 million barrels per day, U.S. Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham said Sunday after meeting with the Saudi oil minister.

Abraham said the Saudis will boost their production from nearly 7.1 million barrels per day to 9.1 million.

"I had a very constructive meeting today with the Minister Naimi, who indicated to me, consistent with public statements that had been made by other leaders in his government over the last couple of days, that Saudi Arabia is fulfilling all genuine requests for the month of June for a total of 9.1 million barrels a day," Abraham told reporters.

"He also stated that -- going forward -- they will meet all requests up to their full capacity of 10.5 million barrels a day. I think this was a very important comment on his part."

http://money.cnn.com/2004/05/23/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Any body has any "real" estimates on Saudi's proven oil resources? I hope ARAMCO will not eat crows for lunch like Shell did for Oman!!
    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

About time! These camel jockeys need to be bled of all the oil they have. Same goes with Iraq, get the pipes in and lets start getting some of that foreign debt back. These high oil prices are playing havoc with the world economy and my fuel costs!

Comment

Aye, if we pump it out of the ground even faster we can secure the world economy forever ....
        at

Comment

Originally posted by Trooth
          Aye, if we pump it out of the ground even faster we can secure the world economy forever ....
          lol sarcasm

Comment

I still don't like making deals with bad guys.
            No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
            I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
            even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
            He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Which is precisely why we need to develop alternative sources of energy and lessen our dependence on oil as much as we possibly can.

The new fuel cell cars, practically science fiction a few years ago, look very promising.

No offense, but I find it sickening when I hear people complain about gas prices, then drive off in their Chevy Suburban or Dodge Ram. I got no sympathy for somebody who is shelling out money left and right for gas then drives solo to work in their barn on wheels. How are we supposed to have low oil prices when every other person in this country drives a vehicle that gets single-digit gas mileage?

People are going far too overboard in their choice of vehicle. I can understand somebody using a Dodge Ram, Chevy Silverado, or Ford F-150 if they really use it as a pickup truck, but just to travel to work and back?

Maybe vehicle sizes have been increasing to fit Americans' ever increasing waistbands.

Comment

I only complain about gas prices at work. All Chevy Silverados at that. :) They get pretty good mileage for trucks, when loaded down, easily 14-15 MPG city. Most of us drive 200-400 miles per week.

Personally I can't complain. I drive a 5.7 liter Trans Am that gets 14 MPG city at best, allmost 25 MPG highway though. It has taken me since '93 to put 50,000 miles on it so it's not like gas prices make much difference to my wallet.

I would love to see an alternate to oil dependance, but at this point in time it looks like nuclear power would be the best move, and that's another set of problems.
                I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Electricity is a different story altogether.

Look at this BS from the government:
                  Why don't you have ratings for large pickup Trucks and SUVs?

Vans, pickup trucks, and sport utility vehicles (SUVs) weighing more than 8,500 pounds gross vehicle weight are classified as heavy-duty vehicle. Fuel economy regulations do not apply to these vehicles, so they are not tested and fuel economy labels are not posted in their windows.
                  Fuel regulations apply to small cars and midsize cars.... but not pickups or SUVs. The underlying reason for this is that these vehicles are used for heavy-duty tasks... many of which are in fact not. This is a joke, most vehicles of this type are sold to regular consumers, it's a loophole.

Comment

I wonder if people noticed that the US ordered the Saudis to increase production.

Comment

Originally posted by Irondüke
                      Electricity is a different story altogether.
                      Electric cars have to be charged from somewhere. Even hydrogen would be released electricly right? Wouldn't want to use fermentation to get it.
                      weighing more than 8,500 pounds gross vehicle weight
                      Wow! That is actually a big big truck. The heaviest standard SUV I can think of would be a 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban. A quick look at the Chevy website shows a curb weight of under 6300 pounds.
                      Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                      I wonder if people noticed that the US ordered the Saudis to increase production.
                      I did, that's what I meant by deals with bad guys.

Comment

Electric cars have to be charged from somewhere. Even hydrogen would be released electricly right? Wouldn't want to use fermentation to get it.
                        No, I meant power plants and such. Electric cars really aren't all that viable. The best, most practical solution at the moment seems to be these hybrid cars.

For example, the 2004 4-banger 1.7L Honda Civic with an automatic gets 35/40 for gas mileage, whereas the hybrid version gets 47/48.

34% increased gas efficiency in city driving, 8% highway. This success could be duplicated elsewhere, the technology exists. Given 45% highway driving, 55% city, the median is about 22%. Imagine if we could cut our consumption by a fifth. "I did, that's what I meant by deals with bad guys." One-fifth of our total consumption is OPEC oil!

Wow! That is actually a big big truck. The heaviest standard SUV I can think of would be a 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban. A quick look at the Chevy website shows a curb weight of under 6300 pounds.
                        Yeah, you're right, very few vehicles of that weight are sold to regular consumers, which leaves me scratching my head as to why the government said gas mileage figures for SUVs and large trucks were unavailable because there is no regulation for vehicles over 8500 lbs.

Comment

The only thing that is going to stop people wasting petrol in ridiculous vehicles is if they can't afford to drive them. By then the world economy wil be stuffed because people won't be able to transport stuff.

People won't by hybrid cars because of fuel efficiency reasons until they can't afford to run the car. They will want performance, air con, power everything which all saps power (and therefore fuel) from the engine. Without going to hybrid cars, there are plenty of cars on the road with much better fuel economy figures right now than the "Chelsea tractors".

So, i guess if we only care about the world economy, the only way is to seperate out fuel for domestic use with that for cimmercial use and either protect the price of one, or tax the price of the other. But if you tax everything, you just stuff the economy even more so.

I did read some article on some US website that the loophole Ironduke mentioned was a way of getting these monster vehicles as part of some sort of tax break. If this is the case then it should be closed.
                          at

Comment

No, I meant power plants and such.
                            Me too, vehicles that don't run on gas or diesel are still impractical for most people. My thought is that even with promising tech like fuel cells, it won't do any good to use them if you're still using oil to create the electricity used to create the fuel for, or charge up, the car. I'm still curious if this really works: http://www.changingworldtech.com/home.html . The idea of using garbage to fuel everything sounds pretty good to me, there's certainly no shortage of trash.
                            Electric cars really aren't all that viable.
                            Not today, but the reality is we're talking about tomorrow, and electric motor tech has increased by leaps and bounds in the last few years. Even if something were done starting today it would be a long time before it's fully implemented.
                            Imagine if we could cut our consumption by a fifth. "I did, that's what I meant by deals with bad guys." One-fifth of our total consumption is OPEC oil!
                            Need to drop by alot more than 20%, the bad guys don't just run OPEC countries.
                            Yeah, you're right, very few vehicles of that weight are sold to regular consumers, which leaves me scratching my head as to why the government said gas mileage figures for SUVs and large trucks were unavailable because there is no regulation for vehicles over 8500 lbs.
                            I'm still not sure what you mean, the 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban with the largest gasoline engine available is listed at 14 MPG city and 18 MPG highway. I submit no vehicles of that weight are sold to regular people, we would be talking about 3 axle heavy cargo vans to hit 8500 pounds, if they are even that heavy.

Comment

I'm still not sure what you mean, the 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban with the largest gasoline engine available is listed at 14 MPG city and 18 MPG highway. I submit no vehicles of that weight are sold to regular people, we would be talking about 3 axle heavy cargo vans to hit 8500 pounds, if they are even that heavy.
                              Read for yourself:
                              http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/info.shtml#ratings

I couldn't find ratings for alot of vehicles UNDER 8500 lbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X