China vs Taiwan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China vs Taiwan

If there were to be a war between China and Taiwan in the near future, how would Taiwan effectively defend itself from being conquered? Would the US help?

What is the PLA, PLAAF, PLAN lacking right now that would prevent it from a successful invasion?

Your comments are appreciated.

Originally posted by hiiii
    If there were to be a war between China and Taiwan in the near future, how would Taiwan effectively defend itself from being conquered? Would the US help?

What is the PLA, PLAAF, PLAN lacking right now that would prevent it from a successful invasion?

Your comments are appreciated.
    Amphibious landing ships.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

More precisely, several hundred landing ships and about 50 large phibs.

And modern fighters.

And EW birds.

And fleet AAW.

Comment

@hiiii,

what a coincedence. at a time u were posting this thread i was also posting my thread on china and taiwan(can TAIWAN really be taken?). anyway i hope my thread can clear ur doughts abt PLA,PLAAN, and taiwan's capabilities and US role. plz read it.

Comment

Never mind the other cut and paste job of obviously incorrect and out-of-date assumptions. Read this as to what the PLA intends to do

CDF & TMF's work on the PLA WZC in the TW Context

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
            More precisely, several hundred landing ships and about 50 large phibs.
            And modern fighters.
            And EW birds.
            And fleet AAW.
            You can very well say overhauling of Chinese forces....I guess China is moving in that direction! its gonna play hide and seek for another 5-20 years and then there might be a flare up. It also depends on TW premiers "declaration" of/on independence.

Colonel,
            Whats the Chinese mentality on TW? Like do they want the island intact or just a namesake unification of a bombed out island?? Coz the Chinese doctrine is based on things like defeating 10 Corps or 8 Corps which will make the others to surrender. What If they are not surrendering and willing to fight till the end, that will end up in the destruction of TW.
            Last edited by Jay; 20 May 04,, 16:20.
            A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
              Colonel,
              Whats the Chinese mentality on TW? Like do they want the island intact or just a namesake unification of a bombed out island?? Coz the Chinese doctrine is based on things like defeating 10 Corps or 8 Corps which will make the others to surrender. What If they are not surrendering and willing to fight till the end, that will end up in the destruction of TW.
              There's a part of Chinese doctrine that is very hard to comprehend in that they include political actions into their military ones. In fact, they count the POLOBJs to be primary and the MILOBJs to be secondary. And this is the hard part to understand, the POLOBJs are defined during the OP while the MILOBJs are defined before the OP.

Take the 1962 Sino-Indo War for example. While their original MILOBJs were achieved, the PLA over-extended themselves and exhausted themselves. The PLA troops were in no position to fight the very angry InA coming their way. However, because of their retreat and their initial victories, they played that to no end, saying that they have proven their point and would repeat the lesson whenever it suits them.

To the Chinese, this is very natural to them. For me, it's a "And a miracle happens here" action. I don't pretend to understand it but I know the PLA counts it and leave it as a "And a miracle happens here" just so that I can work around it with other concepts that I can understand.

So, this being said, the PLA does believe it could force a political victory (as opposed to a military one) through a decisive military action.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                There's a part of Chinese doctrine that is very hard to comprehend in that they include political actions into their military ones. In fact, they count the POLOBJs to be primary and the MILOBJs to be secondary. And this is the hard part to understand, the POLOBJs are defined during the OP while the MILOBJs are defined before the OP.

Take the 1962 Sino-Indo War for example. While their original MILOBJs were achieved, the PLA over-extended themselves and exhausted themselves. The PLA troops were in no position to fight the very angry InA coming their way. However, because of their retreat and their initial victories, they played that to no end, saying that they have proven their point and would repeat the lesson whenever it suits them.

To the Chinese, this is very natural to them. For me, it's a "And a miracle happens here" action. I don't pretend to understand it but I know the PLA counts it and leave it as a "And a miracle happens here" just so that I can work around it with other concepts that I can understand.

So, this being said, the PLA does believe it could force a political victory (as opposed to a military one) through a decisive military action.
                True!

Comment

Allways learn so much when OoE posts.
                  No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                  I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                  even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                  He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
                    Allways learn so much when OoE posts.
                    True...not that i'm ass kissing, Check his title...it says it all :)
                    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Considering US pull out from Afghanistan by Sept 04 and a pull out frm Iraq considering the Elections, they would very well consider helping out Taiwan.

Bu if they don't then even though it won't be easy, I do believe China would somehow manage annex Taiwan.
                      If you disagree with me, you are wrong!

Comment

Working...
                      X