Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fascism in Canada

Canada's Anti-Gay Violence Law Worries Some

OTTAWA, Canada — Some of Canada's religious leaders are worried about the recent passage of a national law that makes it illegal to advocate violence against gays and lesbians.

"We are afraid that ... priests might be taken to court," said Monsignor Mario Paquette of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops (search).

Among the bill's supporters in the federal parliament was Libby Davies of Vancouver.

"Gay and lesbians ... or bi-sexual ... or trans-gendered people are targeted for hate crimes. This bill and the amendment of the Canadian Criminal Code will now help prevent that," Davies said.

But what does that mean for some biblical passages which some believe forbid homosexual sex?

Leviticus 20:13, for example, says: "If a man lies with a man ... as one lies with a woman ... both of them have done what is detestable."

"Pastors are afraid. They're afraid to preach on this subject," said Janet Epp of the Buckingham Evangelical Fellowship of Canada (search). "Nobody wants to have the police come to their door."

Many say the Canadian government assured them the definition of marriage would not be affected by the law, but that hasn't convinced the country's religious conservatives, who say the government made similar promises about same-sex marriage (search).

The definition of marriage — and whether to include same-sex couples — is exactly what Canada's Supreme Court will examine this fall.

Click here to watch a report by Fox News' Steve Brown.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,120195,00.html

Provisions are being made to exempt religious content. I actually hope the bill gets defeated. Govts have no place in the bedroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Leader
      a national law that makes it illegal to advocate violence
      I guess I don't get it. Not sure what "advocating violence" has to do with the church. Do they advocate violence? The stand of many Christians is "love the sinner, hate the sin", doesn't seem to be calling for violence, neither do the passages quoted in the story. In fact the passage quoted, if it calls on violence for a homosexual then it calls on violence for anyone who has sex out of wedlock. Horny people can be attacked in Canada, but not homosexuals? As a horny person I think that sux.
      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
        I guess I don't get it. Not sure what "advocating violence" has to do with the church. Do they advocate violence? The stand of many Christians is "love the sinner, hate the sin", doesn't seem to be calling for violence, neither do the passages quoted in the story. In fact the passage quoted, if it calls on violence for a homosexual then it calls on violence for anyone who has sex out of wedlock. Horny people can be attacked in Canada, but not homosexuals? As a horny person I think that sux.
        The problem is that "advocating violence" can be interpreted broadly to mean, "don't say anything the gays don't like."

Comment

I support the bill if it means what it says and is not open to interpretation. If it means critizing homosexuality than I am against the bill. There is no right to be protected from insult.

Comment

I have a right to advocate violance, but only on my property, public property, and the property of others who would allow me to.

Banning me from doing so is violating my rights. Since this law would it obviously would violate my rights.

There is no right to be protected from insult.
            That is true, unless it is a lie. If they are lieing it falls under slander/libel and the person being slandered/libeled is having their rights violated.
            Last edited by Praxus; 19 May 04,, 21:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Leader
              The problem is that "advocating violence" can be interpreted broadly to mean, "don't say anything the gays don't like."
              I agree, sadly if the bill is passed, thats what will happen. As soon as you even critize gays, your charged.

Comment

Working...
              X