PDA

View Full Version : U.S. athletes told to cool it at Olympics

themuffinman
18 May 04,, 17:55
NEW YORK American athletes have been warned not to wave the U.S. flag during their medal celebrations at this summer's Olympic Games in Athens, for fear of provoking crowd hostility and harming the country's already-battered public image.
The spectacle of victorious athletes grabbing a national flag and parading it around the stadium is a familiar part of international sporting competition, but U.S. Olympic officials have ordered their 550-strong team to exercise restraint and avoid any jingoistic behavior.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20040516-121028-9603r.htm

I did hear that American athletes and spectators were cautioned to wear
clothing that does not identify too strongly with the US (flag patches or clothing
incorporating stars-and-stripes motifs). Also that athletes were warned against
appearing too vainglorious (no "victory laps" carrying the flag, no "end-zone" dances, etc.)

Ironduke
18 May 04,, 18:05
Great.

[/sarcasm]

Leader
18 May 04,, 18:06
NEW YORK American athletes have been warned not to wave the U.S. flag during their medal celebrations at this summer's Olympic Games in Athens, for fear of provoking crowd hostility and harming the country's already-battered public image.
The spectacle of victorious athletes grabbing a national flag and parading it around the stadium is a familiar part of international sporting competition, but U.S. Olympic officials have ordered their 550-strong team to exercise restraint and avoid any jingoistic behavior.

clothing that does not identify too strongly with the US (flag patches or clothing
appearing too vainglorious (no "victory laps" carrying the flag, no "end-zone" dances, etc.)

These people are the lowest scum. Who do they think they are to tell our athletes not to wave our flag?

ChrisF202
18 May 04,, 23:49
These people are the lowest scum. Who do they think they are to tell our athletes not to wave our flag?
Will say French athletes be allowed to wave the French flag? This is so rediculous and stupid, the Anti-Americans have to much power.

Confed999
19 May 04,, 00:22
Lose well, win better. I personally am embarrased by the grandstanding and would have made the same call, just not for the same reasons.

Praxus
19 May 04,, 00:40
I hope the Athletes wave the American flag anyways.

I hope we rake in about 200 Medals this year.

ChrisF202
19 May 04,, 02:05
I hope the Athletes wave the American flag anyways.

I hope we rake in about 200 Medals this year.
I wouldent be suprised if they deny medals to Americans simpily because they are Americans (in the eyes of the Europeans: after all the evil Americans invaded Iraq to remove the nice Saddam whom we had business deals with and whose wallet we were in). If they did that simpily on ones nationality, I would riot.

themuffinman
19 May 04,, 06:14
Well I really don't know what to say about this one but its crazy. Transsexuals were cleared Monday to compete in the Olympics for the first time.

http://english.eastday.com/epublish/gb/paper1/1273/class000100002/hwz195169.htm

Lunatock
19 May 04,, 16:15
I wouldent be suprised if they deny medals to Americans simpily because they are Americans (in the eyes of the Europeans: after all the evil Americans invaded Iraq to remove the nice Saddam whom we had business deals with and whose wallet we were in). If they did that simpily on ones nationality, I would riot.

Remember the last time Olympic Figure Skating was held? And that one crooked judge denying a team points?

Officer of Engineers
19 May 04,, 16:21
Remember the last time Olympic Figure Skating was held? And that one crooked judge denying a team points?

That was to a Canadian team, not that I watch figure skating.

I also have safety concerns here with anyone wearing American or British flags. Nick Berge comes to mind.

Leader
19 May 04,, 17:27
That was to a Canadian team, not that I watch figure skating.

I also have safety concerns here with anyone wearing American or British flags. Nick Berge comes to mind.

If I were going over there, I certainly would not hide the flag. That is letting the terrorist win. You're stating, "I'll hide who I am so I'm not attacked by a terrorist."

themuffinman
19 May 04,, 18:10
If I were going over there, I certainly would not hide the flag. That is letting the terrorist win. You're stating, "I'll hide who I am so I'm not attacked by a terrorist."

I don't have a good feeling about sending Americans over to the greece this year remember when five Arab terrorists wearing track sweat suits climbed the six-foot six-inch fence surrounding the Olympic Village. Although they were seen by several people, no one thought anything was unusual since athletes routinely hopped the fence; moreover, the terrorists' weapons were hidden in athletic bags. These five were met by three more men who are presumed to have obtained credentials to enter the village. More...http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/Terrorism/munich.html

Leader
19 May 04,, 19:25
I don't have a good feeling about sending Americans over to the greece this year remember when five Arab terrorists wearing track sweat suits climbed the six-foot six-inch fence surrounding the Olympic Village. Although they were seen by several people, no one thought anything was unusual since athletes routinely hopped the fence; moreover, the terrorists' weapons were hidden in athletic bags. These five were met by three more men who are presumed to have obtained credentials to enter the village. More...http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/Terrorism/munich.html

There is better security then there was then. And besides hiding is not an option.

Officer of Engineers
19 May 04,, 19:38
There is better security then there was then. And besides hiding is not an option.

No, making yourself a target or not is.

Praxus
19 May 04,, 20:43
I really don't see how waving a flag is going to inscite a terrorist attack. The majority of terrorist attacks are well planed and are not spur of the moment. After all you need to plan to bring a firearm with you to the games, they won't bring it because an American might be waving a flag, but they will bring it with the intent of killing Americnans regaurdless if our people our waving flags.

The whole idea is rediculus.

ChrisF202
19 May 04,, 22:10
If they were planning to attack the Olympic's, the plans would be complete by now

Officer of Engineers
19 May 04,, 22:51
I really don't see how waving a flag is going to inscite a terrorist attack. The majority of terrorist attacks are well planed and are not spur of the moment. After all you need to plan to bring a firearm with you to the games, they won't bring it because an American might be waving a flag, but they will bring it with the intent of killing Americnans regaurdless if our people our waving flags.

The whole idea is rediculus.

How would they know you're an American?

Confed999
19 May 04,, 23:04
I have a flag patch on my cap. :)

Praxus
19 May 04,, 23:40

We are talking about Athletes here not the people in the crowd.

Officer of Engineers
20 May 04,, 00:14
We are talking about Athletes here not the people in the crowd.

Note my response about people not hiding.

Leader
20 May 04,, 05:58
No, making yourself a target or not is.

I'm willing to take the risk. I'm not forcing others to do the same.

lexxwern
20 May 04,, 06:04

This is stupid. USA has a right to be proud. Having set a benchmark for the rest of the world is quite an achievement.

Static Caster
06 Sep 04,, 10:27
The U.S. media is soooooo full of B.S. as well as it's Olympic Organizers. I don't know how many of the 'hee haws' here own televisions BUT, EVERY SINGLE TIME an American Athlete won a medal (and they won plenty!!!)........guess what.........the majority Greek audience applauded because Greeks admire ALL athletes regardless of their nation or political\religious sects.

The U.S. fills it's citizens with paranoia and makes the people think that the whole world is out to get them. The truth is...nobody gives a shit (at least not the Europeans). So what if Americans were to wave their flags....so what if some person were to boo....

harming the country's (Greece) already-battered public image
We should get one thing straight with this comment.....the only people who have a bad image of Greece are rednecks who are glued to watching Fox and CNN news. Europe and Asia LOVE Greece and from a geographical stand point...who gives a shit what American Media tries to say....

Trooth
06 Sep 04,, 10:49
Athletes represent their nations in the Olympics. Therefore i don't see any problem with waving flags on laps of honour.

The medal ceremony is a different matter and i think if athletes starting "improvising" on that, then unfortunate things may happen. We don't want to see any anthem being ignored by the crowd and so on, and i think competitors receiving medals should show respect to the olympics itself etc etc. After all it gets messy when people try to improvide (we have after all had nazi salutes, black panther salutes and so on).

As far as terroism goes, this has nothing to do with it. A US athlete is a US athlete, if a terrorist wanted to harm them they don't need a 5 foot flag to identify them.

Confed999
06 Sep 04,, 18:04
'hee haws'... ...rednecks
You better go read the rules for posting on this forum @ http://www.militaryaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=2232 .

i think competitors receiving medals should show respect to the olympics itself
Exactly my position... That's 7 I believe. ;)