Favorite Handgun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Handgun

I am interested to know what kind of pistols people here prefer.

Personally my favorite is the 92 Beretta. I have heard so much hype about the Glok but after I tried it at a range recently I think it has been overrated. I think it is uncomfortable and kinda feels like a fake pistol. Beretta feels like it has been molded for your hand and appears to be more accurate with its bullets hitting much closer to each other (forgot the proper word for it... help?). Its sights are also better with those white markers. One of the worst pistols I tried was the some plastic HK.
    I have also shot several revolvers but didn't like them. THe old police/military issue .38 has very low recoil but it appears that all revolvers take a long time getting used to to their triggers. ALso tried Magnum 44, very accurate but you cant really enjoy shooting that gun because of tremendous recoil that almost breaks your hand.

Whats your favorite side weapon?

The M9 Beretta is a very good handgun, with excellent range for a 9mm pistol.

My fave is the HK P-7M8, someday i'll get one of those.

I carry a stainless steel custom S&W pistol with a hand fitted M6906 upper/aluminum alloy M5903 lower, trijicon nite sites, mag-na-porting, smith performance shop barrel, extended ambi safety, and lightened trigger. The pistol has also been converted for cocked and locked carry. It holds 15rds in the magazine and has laser like accuracy to about 35-40 meters.

Here's a pic
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bill; 16 May 04,, 05:39.

Comment

Revolvers.
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

M92FS every time, althoug the glock is a good PS Pistol, i love my 92FS.. :)

Comment

Whenever I go shooting the only pistol I allways bring is the CZ-52. I's nothing special, it's cheep, somewhat accurate and pretty easy to clean, but it never jams... ever. Quite fun for target shooting.
          Page with CZ52 Pictures

If I thought I would have to use a pistol for defence, I would use my S&W .357 revolver.
          Thread where I posted a couple of pics.
          No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
          I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
          even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
          He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Colt .45 1911.

Been wanting to look at an M-14 for awile now. After hearing it's got good accuracy, and can survive under the same grueling conditions as a Kalishnakov.

Comment

The one 'problem' with the M-14(aka Springfield M-1A) is it's price.

They start at around 1,000 dollars.

Comment

My carry gun is usually a 1911 Govt Model in .45 ACP. Currently I'm using an alloy-frame Springfield with night sights, slotted hammer and beaver-tail, and adjustable trigger.
                "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." - Emiliano Zapata

Comment

the 1911 is a hell of a pistol when properly modified.

Sounds like yours is properly modified Kalvan. ;)

I used to have a nice Springfield Champion .45 auto with all the bells and whistles.

Comment

I have heard from numerous sources that the best pistol is the SIG-210 or 220. Its design is slightly different from most guns tracing back to the sliding and locking mechanism which makes it very accurate even at long ranges. Of course it is also pretty pricy. It has passed many trials for many armies looking for a new side weapon but could only be afforded for special ops.

Comment

Sig Sauers are excellent pistols. The US Army uses the M-10 Sig as a sidearm, and Sigs are very popular with US law enforcement agencies.

Comment

Sounds like yours is properly modified Kalvan.
                        I like to think so!

I like the P-220. Another thing about SiG's is that they have one of the nicest double-action trigger-pulls of any semi-auto, which helps a lot in the accuracy department. Also, no manual safety to disengage.
                        "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." - Emiliano Zapata

Comment

I actually like manual safeties. I like magazine safeties too. It only takes one mistake with a pistol to throw your life away.

The more safeguards the better, in my opinion.

That's the main reason i'm not overly fond of revolvers.

Comment

I like the thumb safety on the 1911; I'm much more on my guard carrying a Glock than my cocked-and-locked .45. I don't have a problem with revolvers and DA or DAO semi-autos because the pull is so heavy you generally really have to want to make it discharge. If I were carrying a DA semi I wouldn't have the safety on in any case; most are ergonomically clumsy and therefore too slow. I used to be big on thumbbreak holsters too, but after I got into competition I quit using them for the same reason and now I just use open-top holsters. I'm not fond of magazine disconnect safeties. On one level I simply find them to be an annoyance. For another thing, on Browning HiPowers they make the trigger kinda crunchy, and the mags don't drop free. But in general I view them as an engineering solution to a training problem and I think people get used to them, and then can get into trouble when they pick up a gun that doesn't have one. Besides, tactically, I just want to be able to fire that round in the chamber if I need to in the middle of a magazine change (however unlikely it will ever be that I have a real need to do that). :)

Comment

Tactically, i want that pistol to be rendered inert if i'm fighting for it in a melee and i feel i'm about to lose it.

He can try to bludgeon me with it afterwards, but that's about it.

Any problems a mag safety creates with trigger pull etc can easily be corrected by a trip to a quality gunsmith.

My custom Smith has about 1000 dollars of aftermarket parts and gunsmithing work done to it, including the big extended ambi safties to solve the ergonomics issue you mention.

Comment

Working...
                              X