X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Qaeda plans US drive-bys

"By Joseph Farah
    WorldNetDaily.com

An al-Qaida training videotape, captured in Afghanistan, shows Osama bin Laden's terrorists are not only planning attacks with weapons of mass destruction but are preparing to kill Americans with drive-by shootings and home break-ins, through ambushes of law-enforcement officers and targeted assassinations on golf courses, WorldNetDaily has learned.

The videotape was produced, U.S. analysts believe, for al-Qaida's internal use and did not appear to be an external propaganda device.

U.S. intelligence considers the tape much more significant in what it reveals about al-Qaida's modus operandi than the highly publicized video purchased and broadcast last month by CNN. U.S. forces found a cache of 64 al-Qaida tapes while combing caves and hideouts in Afghanistan. Analysts were surprised by some of what they saw in the latest video and believe they employ terrorist tactics and techniques meant for export to America and other nations.

"None of these training scenarios depicts the type of fighting that al-Qaida engages in within Afghanistan," noted John Holschen of Insights Training Center, who produced a report on the tape for military and law enforcement officials.

The training video shows al-Qaida operatives practicing the following kinds of assaults:

*using pickup trucks with shooters concealed in the bed of the trucks;
    *using motorcycles as a shooting platform for drive-bys and assassinations;
    *execution of prisoners;
    *ambushes of law-enforcement officers;
    *residential assassinations;
    *assassination on a golf course using a rocket-propelled grenade and rifle fire;
    *drive-up kidnapping of target walking on a street;
    *use of tunnels, storm drains and sewers for infiltration during urban raids;
    *rappelling from rooftops of buildings to make entry on upper floors;
    *use of motorcycles for grenade attacks;
    *raids on buildings with large numbers of occupants – perhaps schools or office buildings.

Analysts point out that all scenarios involving prisoners and hostages ended in execution. None included plans for negotiated settlements for escape by terrorists.

"They plan to kill the prisoners and die in place," wrote Holschen.

The "perfect day" as seen by al-Qaida would combine attacks designed to produce a maximum number of casualties with attacks that would give them the opportunity to get "face time" on the news channels to deliver their rhetoric, explained Holschen.

"The major take-home lesson here is that although the enemy is known to be seeking the ability and opportunity to use weapons of mass destruction and of an unconventional nature, such as hijacked airliners, they are also spending a lot of time training to carry out attacks the old-fashioned way – attacks executed by small groups of dedicated personnel equipped with little more than small arms," explained Holschen.

Hostages, prisoners and anyone else identified as a target or problem by al-Qaida terrorist operatives will be killed, say those who viewed the tape. There is no point in complying with orders, they say. Those who do not resist ultimately will be rewarded with ritual execution in front of television cameras, according to the tactics and techniques captured on this video.

In one scenario on the video, terrorists pretend to be stranded on a six-lane highway, their vehicle disabled. When a police officer stops to assist, the driver blows his horn. Another occupant of the vehicle opens fire on the police officer with a rifle. In other scenarios, shooters were concealed in the trunk of the car. When the terrorists were picked up by accomplices in a getaway car, the original vehicle was blown up, apparently to destroy evidence.

In another scenario, an innocuous-looking terrorist knocks on the door of a residence, standing in view of the resident and answering questions through a closed door. When the resident opens the door, the terrorist immediately draws his weapon and fires, emptying his weapon into the victim.

In the golf course assassination, the target was on the green, near the hole. A rocket-propelled grenade is fired at a vehicle adjacent to the green, perhaps a security detail. Then the target of the assassination is killed with rifle fire.

When asked if these techniques are intended for use in the U.S., one military intelligence operative said without hesitation, "Yes." "
    Last edited by Bill; 15 May 04,, 10:01.

It appears this is an article from 2002, though the tape does exist, Al Qaeda has obviously so far decided against such stupidity.

Still good to know though, i never saw this on the TV news(what a shock).

Comment

I think this is a little hyperbolic. I don't doubt that AQ would contemplate such things. But they would need quite an extensive force to do such a thing in any greater numbers than already happen at the moment (drive-bys, snipers etc).

Especially if they are all on suicide missions.

OK, RPGing a golf course is a new one, but again, surely that can be handled by the club's dress code?
      at

Comment

Al Qaeda are a bunch of FREAKS. I don't belive a word. They require a running kick. I am yet to see a bunch of folks who attended their parents' wedding!

Great folks to be born out of wedlock!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Their ideas and commets just get more and more discusting

Comment

Nothing new here, performed regularly in South America, with hostage insurance at a premium these days. Won't happenned in North America. Too much effort for very little return. The Washingston sniper (too bad they don't have firing squads any more) just scared everybody for several weeks before things returned to normal. There is simply no way for any terror cell to survive that kind of intense police action.

Comment

They realize many Americans are armed right? They should stick to doing this crap where the citizens have foolishly given up their right to defend themselves. Open attacks won't work here.
              No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
              I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
              even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
              He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

America is the most heavily armed nation on the planet, with the most guns per capita in the world. A great deal of them are former military.

Comment

Trooth, what part of "An Al Qaeda training tape was siezed" don't you understand?

This is an Al Qaeda tape.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                    Trooth, what part of "An Al Qaeda training tape was siezed" don't you understand?

This is an Al Qaeda tape.
                    So, its a dodgy "home" video of people running aorund in balaclavas, no doubt? I have seen lots of them.

The contents of the tape are not as important as the likelyhood of them being able to enact what they have "trained" for. Personally i see nothing in the list that isn't at risk of happening now, and see that for it be in anyway effective (i.e. AQ drive bys to be more of a threat to US citizen's safety then those conducted by the natives) it would require a huge number of people in the US, especially as it is mentioned that they would be using suicide tactics.

On that basis i think the report is ering on the hyperbole to get readers.
                    at

Comment

Well i disagree quite strongly.

There is a VAST difference in the amount of damage that a trained terror cell of six well armed men can do when compared to a carload of drugged-up untrained gang bangers can.

Comment

In other scenarios, shooters were concealed in the trunk of the car.
                        How original. The DC Snipers (John Allen Mohammad and Lee Malvo) did this before.

And yes, Im going to agree with M21, there is a huge difference between your everyday gang in South-Central LA and an Al Qaeda hit team

Comment

The silver lining of the cloud is that this is proof of how desperate al queda have become. a few years back hijacking planes and flying into buildings was what they prepared for, now a driveby against unsuspecting civilians is the what they are trying for, a dramatic change.

Comment

9/11 was to show the "downtrodden" that they could hurt America and to try and create a Jihad. It was by its very nature a symolic attack and therefore had to be spectacular. I don't think it was intended to be the only means by which AQ would wage its attacks.

Bali, Madrid etc have been more "conventional" attacks.

What i am saying is that i don't think you should estimate AQ's abilities by the number of hijackings it is involved in.
                            at

Comment

Originally posted by Trooth
                              9/11 was to show the "downtrodden" that they could hurt America and to try and create a Jihad. It was by its very nature a symolic attack and therefore had to be spectacular. I don't think it was intended to be the only means by which AQ would wage its attacks.

Bali, Madrid etc have been more "conventional" attacks.

What i am saying is that i don't think you should estimate AQ's abilities by the number of hijackings it is involved in.
                              I disagree. All al queda attacks are intended to be symbolic, from Madrid to 9/11, the same goes for hamas and other terror groups, theirwarfare employs symbolism and terror, they cannot fight a conventional war.

9/11 was just one attack, I read somewhere al queda planned to hijack a plane and crash it into a WTO conference in Italy. You see hijacking and flying planes costs resources and manpower in addition to other requirements, something al queda have been lacking in recent times. Setting a bomb off in a madrid train requires very little of these, and driveby shootings even less, this is why I think they aren't the terrorist group they were pre 9/11

Comment

Working...
                              X