X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthday Greeting to Top Hatter

Top Hatter,

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday. :)

Hope you are swimming in a sea of the Cheetos that you have stacked up.

Have a great day!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Cheers Top Hatter. Have a great day with the ones close to you.:)

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Happy B-day :)
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

yeah, well done on surviving another year:)
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Happy B-day TH.

Why don't you come up to P-cola and treat yourself to a ride

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100700110.html

F-14 Simulators Debut in Pensacola, Fla.

By MELISSA NELSON
          The Associated Press
          Saturday, October 7, 2006; 6:08 AM

PENSACOLA, Fla. -- Ever watched "Top Gun" and wondered if you had what it takes to evade surface-to-air missiles in an F-14 Tomcat? An exhibit that opened this week at the National Museum of Naval Aviation is giving would-be flyboys the chance to climb into the cockpit of a real F-14 military training simulator and experience a 20-minute joyride.

Flyers can grab the flight stick and experience mock air-to-air combat, practice carrier landings or simply cruise over Las Vegas, Iraq, Miramar, Calif., and other simulated sites.

National Museum of Naval Aviation F-14 flight simulator operator Amelia Holmes takes flight over virtual terrain based on the Las Vegas area Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2006, in Pensacola, Fla. The machine can replicate the flying characteristics of 26 different types of aircraft over a variety of locations. The National Museum of Naval Aviation this week unveiled four military training simulators for use by the public. The exhibit coincides with last month's retirement of the fighter jet immortalized in the 1986 Tom Cruise movie
          National Museum of Naval Aviation F-14 flight simulator operator Amelia Holmes takes flight over virtual terrain based on the Las Vegas area Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2006, in Pensacola, Fla. The machine can replicate the flying characteristics of 26 different types of aircraft over a variety of locations. The National Museum of Naval Aviation this week unveiled four military training simulators for use by the public. The exhibit coincides with last month's retirement of the fighter jet immortalized in the 1986 Tom Cruise movie "Top Gun." (AP Photo/Tony Giberson) (Tony Giberson - AP)

"Everyone can be a hero in a simulator," said retired Marine Col. Deej Kiely, a fighter pilot in Vietnam and the museum's spokesman. "If they are proficient enough, they can mess around with the radar and lock up targets, they can interact with each other. I think for these purposes it's close enough to the real thing."

The only other F-14 simulators open to the public are at Patuxent River Naval Air Museum in Maryland, said Dave Kinney, owner of Eaglesims. The San Clemente, Calif.-based company converts retired military trainers and aircraft for public use.

"You get them and save them. They are rare pieces of art," Kinney said. "The experience is priceless for an airplane junkie who has dreamed for a long time about what it's like to sit in a Tomcat with all the actual controls."

Workers spent many hours working out how to keep the maximum number of levers, switches and alarms active in the four simulators while ensuring the experience would still be fun for those who have never sat in a cockpit before, Kinney said.

The exhibit coincides with last month's retirement of the F-14 Tomcat, the fighter jet immortalized in the 1986 movie "Top Gun," and includes plaques and patches from actual Tomcat squadrons.

Visitors sit through a video and "cockpit orientation training" before climbing into the cockpit and watching the action on a video screen about as big as a laptop computer's. The experience costs $20.

Lionel O'Byrn, a first-time pilot, and his grandson Jacob Jones, both of Henderson, Nev., tested their flight skills.

"I wasn't a very successful flyer," O'Byrn said, after climbing out of the cockpit and removing his headphones. "We kept trying to crash the other guy, but we couldn't."

The F-14 Tomcat joined the Navy fleet in 1972 and was originally intended to defend U.S. aircraft carriers from long-range cruise missiles. The official retirement ceremony for the F-14 was held Sept. 22 in Virginia Beach, Va.
          Last edited by Gun Grape; 10 Oct 06,, 12:04.

Comment

You're older than me again!! :)

(for the next 5 months anyway )
            "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Thanks guys

My biggest accomplishment was staying tobacco-free for 1 year (actually 12 hours from now).

GG, I saw that yesterday, and I was already thinking about a trip up there. :)

Ray, thanks for the reminder, I need stop off at the Temple and obtain some more ambrosia.

THL, thank you for the reminder.
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                Thanks guys
                *THL clears HER throat*

;)
                "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Happy Birthday TH. May you have many more. :)

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal View Post
                    *THL clears HER throat*
                    Ah yes, you are definitely all woman :)

And thank you as well Julie
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Happy Birthday TH.

My biggest accomplishment was staying tobacco-free for 1 year (actually 12 hours from now).
                      Congratulations. Me on the same path (just 7 days though). Any advice to stay on course?

Comment

Old? Tell me when you start chasing the 72. Actually, you should be chasing them now, not when you get to our age where you really don't want them.

Comment

Happy birthday :D mine is coming on november :D have a blast with lots of cars/chicks and whatever. lol.

Comment

Heh, my BD was yesterday.

Happy BD TH!

Comment

Originally posted by kams View Post
                              Happy Birthday TH.

Congratulations. Me on the same path (just 7 days though). Any advice to stay on course?
                              I quit after last year's superbowl, havnt touched a cig since.

Advice: DO NOT replace tobacco with food! It is VERY EASY to gain a LOT of weight after one quit's smoking. I did, though a recent drastic diet program i came up with has taken almost all of it back off.

Comment

Working...
                              X