Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Kerry: A 'cheap' aristocrat

Born to blue-blood status, wealth came with marriageThe Associated Press
    Updated: 12:59 p.m. ET April 07, 2004BOSTON - Rosemary Forbes Kerry left many things to her son John: a flinty New England resolve, a worldly view of politics, and a middle name that conjures up images of a childhood drenched in wealth.

advertisement

The Democratic presidential candidate grew up in a world of elite private schools and vacations on a French estate, something most Americans could only dream about. His parents, a U.S. diplomat and a homemaker, turned to a wealthy, childless great-aunt, Clara Winthrop, to help pay the bills.
    MORE.....http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4685276

http://www.geocities.com/estradaroger/johnkerry.html
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body. USMC
    Semper Fi

He will be no different then Bush when it comes to the rich and the corperations?

Comment

Kerry is an aristocrat?

An aristocrat does not throw someone else's medals as his own!

A rather odd aristocrat I will say.

Whae Guru the Khalsa, Wahe Guru the Fateh as the Sikhs would say!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

LOL, it sounds as if there's surprise that Kerry is just another rich white guy.
        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

I wonder if being 'rich' can also mean 'aristocrat'. Most of the British aristocrats are now impoverished anyway and rather crass men are amongst Britian's rich!

Thanks to the posts on the Board including some mes clippings, I know that old Kerry is a Boston Brahmin and likes to call himself as 'JFK'. I like this guy. He likes to be everyone but himself! Such humility!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Are there any non-rich US politicians?
            at

Comment

Bush is not rich. He is a country boy. He just lives on his father's ranch! :)

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Trooth
                Are there any non-rich US politicians?
                By the time one reaches the upper levels of government they usually don't worry about personal money anymore. Just the connections they've made in business and politics would make it really easy to make money, even for an "honest" politician. Are there any poor politicians in the upper levels of British government, or does it pretty much work the same way? I'm not sure I want a politician that's worried about where they will get the money to pay bills, make them too easy to bribe.
                I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Most of the Cabinet and front benchers have several company directorships etc. But personal wealth is not nearly as useful to getting elected in the UK as i perceive it to be in the US. Ours is a parliamentary system with quite low costs of entry (deposit is only a few hundred quid). TV isn't bought in the same way in the UK as the US. In fact i can't remember seeing a TV ad for an MP. Only the parties advertises (unless i am gettng forgetful in my old age).

My comment wasn't a criticism of US politics, it was more "is he any richer than the other politicians".
                  at

Comment

Most of the Cabinet and front benchers have several company directorships etc. But personal wealth is not nearly as useful to getting elected in the UK as i perceive it to be in the US. Ours is a parliamentary system with quite low costs of entry (deposit is only a few hundred quid). TV isn't bought in the same way in the UK as the US. In fact i can't remember seeing a TV ad for an MP. Only the parties advertises (unless i am gettng forgetful in my old age).
                    It sounds pretty much the same as here, except the TV bit. Politicians don't use much of their own money, if they can't raise it they can't get elected anyway.
                    My comment wasn't a criticism of US politics, it was more "is he any richer than the other politicians".
                    I didn't take it as a criticism of US politics, I was just curious if it was the same there. Kerry is richer than Bush when his wife lets him hold the checkbook, otherwise he is not. Kerry's wife is worth between 300 million and 600 million, depending on who you ask and how the various markets are doing that day.

Comment

Bush and Kerry are both Yale "Skull and Bones" members are they not?
                      at

Comment

Bush and Kerry are both Yale "Skull and Bones" members are they not?
                        Yep, though most of the poli sci guys from there are. Those are some of the connections I was talking about before.

Comment

In fact i can't remember seeing a TV ad for an MP.
                          Ah, but do you vote for a Candidate or a Party in UK elections?
                          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

In theory you vote for a candidate. In practice most people vote for a party. The candidates do campaign individually.

The practical reality isn't so much voting for either, but that the TV station coverage covers multiple wards, so it wouldn't make much sense to spend the money on a TV the majority of the viewership of which is ineligble to vote for you anyway.

A lot of campaiging is actually done door to door. Someone with a rosette on trying to stuff a leaflet in your hands. I like the fact my politicians have to come to me :)
                            at

Comment

Working...
                            X