Chinese guards 'kill Tibetans'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese guards 'kill Tibetans'

At least two Tibetans were killed and seven others wounded when Chinese border guards opened fire on them, a refugee support group has said.

The head of the UN-sponsored Tibet Refugee Reception Centre in Nepal, Loudhup Dorjee, said the alleged incident happened on Saturday.

He said about 70 Tibetan men, women and children had been trying to cross the Nangpa La pass from China into Nepal.

Forty-two managed to enter. He had no information on the fate of the others.

'Two people down'

Earlier, mountaineering website MountEverest.net carried what it said was an eyewitness report of the shooting from an unnamed climber in the area.

"Without warning, shots rang out. Over, and over and over. Then the line of people started to run uphill," the climber said.

"We saw two shapes fall. The binoculars confirmed it: two people were down, and they weren't getting up. Then more Chinese army swarmed through Advanced Base Camp."

There has been no word from the Chinese authorities.

Correspondents say hundreds of Tibetans try to cross the Himalayan border every year in an effort to flee Chinese rule.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5409916.stm

Last edited by Jay; 06 Oct 06,, 18:27.
    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Damn those commies...
    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

This lays credence to what I have been saying all along - that the CPC wants the world to believe that the Tibetans have amalgamated in their society - which of course is untrue.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

damn commies!

reminds me of the berlin gate and the east germans who tried crossing into western germany

and isnt it ironic that the un should simply choose to ignore the chineese occupation of tibet?

Comment

and isnt it ironic that the un should simply choose to ignore the chineese occupation of tibet?
          Welcome to the real world kid...
          Don't expect the Chinese to behave like that bastard Nehru....
          Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Any wonder why we in the West hate Communism. That article is just another reminder why.
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

jay,

do you have a source for that article? thx.

lemontree,

This lays credence to what I have been saying all along - that the CPC wants the world to believe that the Tibetans have amalgamated in their society - which of course is untrue.
              the CCP doesn't particularly care what the world thinks as to this regard (and for what the world thinks, it acknowledges that tibet is part of china). the vast, vast majority of chinese believe it; enough han settlers and PAP are in tibet to make it stick. and for them, that is enough.
              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5409916.stm

Comment

my thanks.
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                    lemontree,

the CCP doesn't particularly care what the world thinks as to this regard ...
                    On the contrary they care very much.
                    (and for what the world thinks, it acknowledges that tibet is part of china).
                    ...much to their own chargin associated with the something called appeasement, for a country that assisted the west during the cold war. The recognition was a matter of political necessity.
                    the vast, vast majority of chinese believe it; enough han settlers and PAP are in tibet to make it stick. and for them, that is enough.
                    It is the Tibetans that matter and not the thoughts of a people who quote from the "leettle led book".

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

On the contrary they care very much.
                      i meant relative to what they want the chinese population to believe. as with most things for the CCP, domestic opinion comes first.

The recognition was a matter of political necessity.
                      even if it wasn't, i have doubts that very many people would challenge it. tibet is not vital to anyone except, of course, the tibetans and the chinese. and in the chinese eyes (and quite rightly, IMO), china has a better claim on tibet than america does on hawaii.

It is the Tibetans that matter and not the thoughts of a people who quote from the "leettle led book".
                      to a point.

by the way, the chinese quote from the "leetle led book" about as often as americans quote from the pilgrim's progress these days.

Comment

I don't like communists either, but Tibet has traditionally been a part of China for a large portion of its history, especially in the last 600 years.
                        Last edited by durtyburd; 08 Oct 06,, 07:22.

Comment

Originally posted by durtyburd View Post
                          I don't like communists either, but Tibet has traditionally been a part of China for a large portion of its history, especially in the last 600 years.
                          but its like saying i occupied ur house for 600 years so i want it for myself.lol!

Comment

tell it to the americans first- america's a hell of a lot larger than tibet is.

or the israelis, or the russians, or the english...etc etc.

this is not a new theme in history. for that matter, chiang kai-shek did it to the native taiwanese, as well. where are the complaints?

Comment

I dont see US citizens fighting their border patrol force to flee from US in to say Mexico or Canada. Infact I dont see Hawaiins protesting about the US occupation. So no, Tibet cannot be compared with United States of America.

Comment

Working...
                              X