PDA

View Full Version : India Worst in Global Bribe Payers Index

Neo
05 Oct 06,, 19:27
India Worst in Global Bribe Payers Index

From the Associated Press
October 5, 2006

BRUSSELS — Anti-corruption advocates Wednesday called on the governments of India, China and Russia to do more to stop their multinational companies from engaging in bribery when doing business abroad.

A survey of 30 of the world's leading exporting countries ranked the three at the bottom, with India the worst offender. Switzerland topped the ranking of the Bribe Payers Index 2006.

Officials from the anti-corruption group Transparency International urged the governments of the three fast emerging economies to take a more active role in cleaning up the business practices of their companies.

"Our advice to these countries is to give themselves the legislation that would allow them to prosecute their own state-owned enterprises or their own companies," said Huguette Labelle, head of Transparency International.

"But also that we work with these enterprises and companies to help them to ensure that they do not bribe, to help them develop their own codes of conduct, their own practices and ways of doing business that excludes bribing," Labelle said.

Behind Switzerland, the survey ranked Sweden, Australia, Austria and Canada as the most effective in preventing their companies from bribing.

Even countries such as the U.S., which ranked ninth, came in for some criticism.

"Since the U.S. was one of the first countries to really have legislation to prosecute their own companies if they were bribing abroad, we look to the U.S. in this respect to be a leading country," Labelle said, "and hope that the next time they might be at the top of the list."

Transparency International ranked countries according to their effectiveness in preventing their companies from bribing when they do business abroad. Its Bribe Payers Index 2006 limited itself to the world's 30 largest exporting countries.

On a scale from 10 for no corruption, down to 1 for rampant corruption, the highest score went to Switzerland with 7.81, with the lowest score going to India at 4.62.

The results were based on interviews with more than 11,000 business people in 125 countries.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-bribe5oct05,1,1398100.story

Ray
05 Oct 06,, 19:33
I was expecting this from you.

Thank you.

Indeed it is something disgraceful.

I will not defend it as you all en masse did about Pakistan being a lousy country!

We, as Indians, can face the truth and we better if we want it to improve.

I wish you Pakistanis could.

Remember PFF and I?

Remember your foolish comments to justify banning me for life?

Chum, you guys are rabid and nuts, though you are not as yet hydrophobic!

Look at Musharraf and his book! He wants to say the world is stupid and he is the second coming of Jesus?

You all delude yourself.

Face reality for a change.

Neo
05 Oct 06,, 19:45
I was expecting this from you.

Thank you.

Indeed it is something disgraceful.

I will not defend it as you all en masse did about Pakistan being a lousy country!

We, as Indians, can face the truth and we better if we want it to improve.

I wish you Pakistanis could.

Remember PFF and I?

Remember your foolish comments to justify banning me for life?

Chum, you guys are rabid and nuts, though you are not as yet hydrophobic!

Look at Musharraf and his book! He wants to say the world is stupid and he is the second coming of Jesus?

You all delude yourself.

Face reality for a change.

You can't go around without getting personal can you soldier?
I thought they learn disciplin in the military, you must have slept during those lessons. :rolleyes:

All barks no bites...tsk tsk tsk...

Ray
05 Oct 06,, 19:59
Yes this soldier gets personal when falsehood is bandied.

Is that a morality weakness?

Speak out on neutral grounds!

Disciplne does not translate in the Indian Army to be equated as a morality deprived person.

I cannot say the same for some interesting people from Armies whose Chief which get rebuked world wide for bandying falsehoods.Their ethos apparently is different!

Therefore, I understand you.

Neo
05 Oct 06,, 20:05
Yes this soldier gets personal when falsehood is bandied.

Personal attacks are a sign of weakness and frustration and I ain't weak. I too come from a military family.

Is that a morality weakness?
No.
Obsession? Yeah!

Speak out on neutral grounds!
I'm thru speaking to you as I already informed you in a pm.
Let it go!

Ray
05 Oct 06,, 20:09
Neo,

You are getting to be as humorous as your leader!

Your PM? Repoduce it with the relevant threads and lets discuss on neutral grounds.

You all have debunked this forum in your forum, so lets see which forum is democratic.

I have bashed Bush here. Nothing happened and I still survive. But what happened in your forum where I was treading so carefully.

So, let's not have delusions and spew cr@p.

Note how many foreigners have quit your forum and note how many non US chaps quit WAB.

You are a millenium away to compare yourself with WAB and its liberal policies!

Neo
05 Oct 06,, 20:22
Neo,

You are getting to be as humorous as your leader!
Thank you for appreciating me, not that it matter anyway. ;)

Your PM? Repoduce it with the relevant threads and lets discuss on neutral grounds.
Check your old pm's from last month. I don't have time for nonsense.

You all have debunked this forum in your forum, so lets see which forum is democratic.

I have bashed Bush here. Nothing happened and I still survive. But what happened in your forum where I was treading so carefully.

So, let's not have delusions and spew cr@p.

Note how many foreigners have quit your forum and note how many non US chaps quit WAB.
Unlike you I don't have the urge to discredit other fora. Nor do I want to discuss any other forum here than WAB and vice versa.
You're not banned at PFF, nor are other Indians.
You have anything to say, you can say it there.

You are a millenium away to compare yourself with WAB and its liberal policies!
Please enlight me when I did that??

And don't worry about my forum, its not a WAB clone. ;)

Ray
05 Oct 06,, 20:30
Thank you for appreciating me, not that it matter anyway. ;)

Check your old pm's from last month. I don't have time for nonsense.

Unlike you I don't have the urge to discredit other fora. Nor do I want to discuss any other forum here than WAB and vice versa.
You're not banned at PFF, nor are other Indians.
You have anything to say, you can say it there.

Please enlight me when I did that??

And don't worry about my forum, its not a WAB clone. ;)

You are really himourous.

Was i not banned?

Your excuses were juvenile.

True you will not like to discuss other foras here. Because you will not have a chance on neutral grounds.

What chance do I have in PFF to debate when one is banned for stating that the Pak foreign office spokesperson (who is not seized with facts) is told she has no clue and that is taken as 'speaking against Pakistan'f foregn policy"! Captain Haddock of Tin Tin could not have been mroe humorous!

I have been 'de-banned' because of Asim.

BTW, how many foreigners still visit PFF? ;)

If only PFF were a WAB clone, it would have done real well.

Why do you think WAB is a lousy board?

Neo
05 Oct 06,, 20:39
You are really himourous.

Was i not banned?

Your excuses were juvenile.

True you will not like to discuss other foras here. Because you will not have a chance on neutral grounds.

What chance do I have in PFF to debate when one is banned for stating that the Pak foreign office spokesperson (who is not seized with facts) is told she has no clue and that is taken as 'speaking against Pakistan'f foregn policy"! Captain Haddock of Tin Tin could not have been mroe humorous!

I have been 'de-banned' because of Asim.

BTW, how many foreigners still visit PFF? ;)
Damn...you must be feeling frustrated!
What part of "Let it go" do you not understand? ;)

If only PFF were a WAB clone, it would have done real well.
Thats why you've chaged the name of your forum into Global Affairs Forum which has more moderators than members? Ninety percent of which are WABians? :biggrin:
Very subtle! :)

Why do you think WAB is a lousy board?
Your words not mine.

And again, I'm not taking the bait.
Nice try though!

Have a good night sleep, it must be 1pm in Calcutta now.

Ciao!

highsea
05 Oct 06,, 21:30
I would guess that the position on the list has a lot to do with which countries you do large amounts of business with. I can tell you that if your company wants to do business in certain regions, like South or Central America for example, you better be willing to grease some palms.

Companies don't pay this money because they want to, it's usually the only way to get in the door. Rather than rating the countries whose businesses pay the money, they should rate the countries whose businesses (and gov't officials) require the payoffs to do business.

Tronic
05 Oct 06,, 22:40
You can't go around without getting personal can you soldier?
I thought they learn disciplin in the military, you must have slept during those lessons. :rolleyes:

All barks no bites...tsk tsk tsk...
all bark no bites??? Is that why most Pak members end up doing only that at Pak forums, because once confronted on global forums, Pak members go extinct.. why??? because they are faced with reality.

TopHatter
05 Oct 06,, 23:56
Getting just a little too heated in here. ;)

Everybody please take 5 steps back...and a deep breath.

gilgamesh
06 Oct 06,, 00:35
We grew up in bureaucrat controlled economy, bribing eased our pain and old habits die hard.

Younger generation is cheerfully avoiding such antics, because they don't have to bribe in order to survive.

Akshay
06 Oct 06,, 01:15
We grew up in bureaucrat controlled economy, bribing eased our pain and old habits die hard.

Younger generation is cheerfully avoiding such antics, because they don't have to bribe in order to survive.

Just as they say... you need to bribe inorder to file a court case against Bribery.

Lahori paa jee
06 Oct 06,, 18:44
I smell somethings burning here

Hari_Om
21 Oct 06,, 14:15
Self deleted.