PDA

View Full Version : Bavo!! Finally a Canadian PM with the balls to stand up for what is right! Bravo!!

Canmoore
02 Oct 06,, 18:53
BUCHAREST - Prime Minister Stephen Harper wanted to leave his mark on the world stage at this week’s Francophonie summit, and Friday morning he did just that.

Harper angered Lebanon and an assortment of other Arab, Muslim and French-speaking states in a meeting to draft a political declaration on this summer’s war between Israel and Hezbollah.

Canada’s rookie prime minister vetoed an amendment that said the 53-member organization “deplored” the effect of the month-long conflict on the Lebanese civilians it endangered. The amendment, which didn't mention Israeli civilians, was brought forward by the Egyptian delegation and backed by “a majority” of countries at the table, according to French President Jacques Chirac.

Harper said he couldn't support the amendment because it didn't recognize that losses were suffered by civilians on both sides.

“The amendment wants to recognize and deplore the war and recognize the victims of Lebanon. We are able to deplore the war, we are able to recognize the victims, but on both sides,” Harper said at a news conference.

“The Francophonie cannot recognize victims according to their nationality. Recognize the victims of Lebanon and the victims of Israel.”

The issue forced leaders to extend the meeting in an attempt to get past the political stalemate.
After what was supposed to be the final news conference, all leaders headed back into the closed-door meeting for about 30 minutes and eventually agreed on a statement saying that the Francophonie “deplores the tragedy in Lebanon and the dramatic consequences for all civilian populations” while calling for a total cessation of hostilities in southern Lebanon.

Lebanon’s culture minister, Tarek Mitri, seemed stunned by how the incident unfolded.

Asked if Harper had caused a major diplomatic problem by standing up for Israel in the debate, he said, “I hope it’s not a major incident.”

“I don’t think it’s good for the (Francophonie),” he said. “It’s too bad the Bucharest summit didn’t finish on a more constructive note.”

Harper was seated beside Quebec Premier Jean Charest at the news conference, but Charest seemed cool to his federal counterpart. Harper, French President Jacques Chirac, Romanian President Traian Basescu and Francophonie Secretary-General Abdou Diouf all entered the news conference together, but Charest followed about three minutes later.

And in his statement before reporter’s began asking questions, Charest pointed out his province’s strong links with Lebanon and the fact that the province took in 15,000 refugees from Lebanon this summer. About 7,000 of those have since returned to the Middle Eastern country.

In Ottawa, Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay backed up the prime minister’s position, telling reporters on Parliament Hill that Harper was defending the human rights of all victims of the conflict.

“I think the prime minister took a very principled stand in the discussion, if I’m following you, on a resolution that was passed at the Francophonie that talked about the protection of human rights, all human rights, not specific rights pertaining to a place of origin or certain religions,” MacKay said.

“I think that was the overriding concern that the prime minister had that this was not aimed at any one people, any one region and there may have been a minor disagreement on the wording of the resolution but my understanding is that has now been resolved.”

MacKay said he doesn’t think Harper’s position puts Canada at risk of splitting with some of its key allies.

I am so proud to have this man as my PM. The past few PM's this country has seen were nothing but spineless oafs, who would have allowed this resolution to pass, blatantly ignoring the Israeli casualties.

Canmoore
02 Oct 06,, 19:03
Taken from the Globe and mail "The most authoritiative news in Canada"

Mr. Harper's opposition to the resolution added to his growing pro-Israel stand, a shift in traditional Canadian policy regarding the Middle East.
entire article here (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060930.FRANCOHARPER30/TPStory/?query=francophonie+stephen+harper)

So if i am reading this right, Harper is pro-Israeli for standing up for all Civilian casualties, regardless of nationality?

And if this is a shift in traditional Canadian policy, does that mean that before Harper, Canada was pro-Hezbollah??

But oh! what is this? Today October 10th 2006, the globeandmail backtracks and allows this to be printed

The PM's stand

By EVELYN DRUKER

Monday, October 2, 2006, Page A16

Sydney, N.S. -- Stephen Harper is to be commended for rectifying the resolution put forth by Egypt at the la Francophonie summit, so that all victims who suffered during the recent Lebanese-Israeli conflict were recognized. The so- called shift in Canadian foreign policy has started to make Canada's position more balanced, not necessarily pro-Israel.

hmm interesting, before the globeandmail was ostracizing Haper for being pro-Israeli and breaking with Traditional Canadian values, and now they are commending him!

bah! no wonder i avoid the Globeandmail like beats