Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arab Fighters Say Iraqis Sold Them Out to U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arab Fighters Say Iraqis Sold Them Out to U.S.

BERQAYEL, Lebanon (Reuters) - Ahmed Abdel Razzaq went to Iraq to fight the Americans and die a martyr. He ended up in a U.S. prison camp after the Iraqis he went to defend captured and sold him for $100.

"I went to be a martyr in God's name," said Razzaq, from poor north Lebanon, where Sunni Muslim militancy runs deep.

"I went to jihad (holy war) for the Iraqis but they are all traitors; the people, the army, the Kurds. They say Saddam was bad, but the Iraqis deserve 10 Saddams."

Motivated by religious zeal or Arab nationalism, busloads of Arab volunteers crossed Syria to go to Iraq before and during the war.

Those who got home alive describe being abandoned by Iraqi minders as U.S. forces reached Baghdad, or escaping Iraqis hostile to interference as the Baath government crumbled into chaos.

Hundreds more were captured, often by Iraqi Kurds opposed to toppled president Saddam Hussein, and spent months in U.S. custody at Camp Bucca in the desert near the southern port of Umm Qasr.

A Syrian who fought in the Kurdish-run north said he walked and hitchhiked over 75 miles to get back to the border after the Iraqi officers in charge of his cell fled with his passport.

"We fought Kurds. We looked for Americans but found none," said the fighter, who was of Palestinian origin.

"We only knew Baghdad fell when some Arabs told us to lay down our arms because it was over ... One day they were supporting Saddam, the next they were beating his statue with their shoes."

DESERT PRISON CAMP

The United States, which partly blames "foreign terrorists" for a series of post-war suicide attacks, said in November it had over 300 suspected non-Iraqi fighters in its custody in Iraq.

By Lin Noueihed

Continued ...

---------------------------------------
    http://ad.doubleclick.net/648510/new...BDReuters.html

Re: Arab Fighters Say Iraqis Sold Them Out to U.S.

Originally posted by human
    BERQAYEL, Lebanon (Reuters) - Ahmed Abdel Razzaq went to Iraq to fight the Americans and die a martyr. He ended up in a U.S. prison camp after the Iraqis he went to defend captured and sold him for $100.

"I went to be a martyr in God's name," said Razzaq, from poor north Lebanon, where Sunni Muslim militancy runs deep.

"I went to jihad (holy war) for the Iraqis but they are all traitors; the people, the army, the Kurds. They say Saddam was bad, but the Iraqis deserve 10 Saddams."
    A good point to follow when it comes to defending people such as the Iraqi's..is to be sure they wanted to remain under Saddam's rule and are actually being brutally oppressed by the Coalition.

Comment

They went as high as a hundred dollars?!! Way more than the cost of a bullet......
      Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Your price tag is... 50 Cents...

Lunatock

A good point to follow when it comes to defending people such as the Iraqi's..is to be sure they wanted to remain under Saddam's rule and are actually being brutally oppressed by the Coalition.

-----------------------------------

I think if you are captured by Iraqis, you will be sold for 50 Cents...

Just for what you just said...:)

Comment

Better Offer

smilingassassin,

They went as high as a hundred dollars?!! Way more than the cost of a bullet......

--------------------------------------------------------

They offered 50 Cents for Lunatock...

The only problem, we have to convince him to quit his sleeping cell...:)

Comment

Working...
          X