Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

India won First ODI cricket match against Pakistan!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India won First ODI cricket match against Pakistan!!

India erupts with joy after famous victory

New Delhi: Cricket fans spilled over into the streets and danced to drumbeats Saturday to celebrate the win over Pakistan in the opening one-day match of the historic series.

Roads which had been deserted throughout the day as people were glued to their television sets came alive in spontaneous rejoicing as soon as the last ball was bowled in Karachi.

Firecracker bursts mingled with shouts of "Long live India" and "Hip Hip Hurray" as traffic had to stop on many city roads to give way to the joyful crowds. "It was a tight game and luckily we scraped through to a victory. We cannot forget the memory of (Pakistani batsman) Javed Miandad's last ball six win in 1986 in Sharjah over India," said Dilip Goyal, a cricket fan in New Delhi.

India beat Pakistan by five runs in a high-scoring thriller on Saturday to take a 1-0 lead in the five-match limited-overs series. Pakistani batsman Moin Khan could not hit the last ball for six.

Large television screens were set up in restaurants and there was a carnival atmosphere because of the match, the Indian team's first full Test tour of Pakistan since 1989.

People rushed out of the pubs and restaurants, yelling in joy. "As usual the India-Pakistan match was full of hard skips until the last ball," said Santosh Mangaonkar, an advertising professional, who called the match a "virtual replica" of the 1986 Sharjah confrontation.

"We as spectators wondered whether Sharjah would be repeated today, but it didn't happen, and it's a pleasure to beat Pakistan on Pakistani soil after a long, long time," he said.

--------------------------------------
    For starters its like Australia - England rivalry in Rugby or even more than that!

Its a 5 match series and India are up 1-0.

:Beer
    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

che this out!!

To control the crowd :YIKES!

Comment

Pakistan's reply gets off to a bad start when Yasir Hameed is bowled in the seventh over by Laxmipathy Balaji for seven

Comment

Mohammad Kaif takes a brilliant catch to dismiss Shoaib Malik despite a near collision with team-mate Hemang Badani

Comment

India's captain Saurav Ganguly (C) enters the cricket ground amid tight security prior to a warm-up match between India and Pakistan 'A' in Lahore March 11, 2004. REUTERS/Arko Datta

:YIKES!

Comment

Great that India won.

Notwithstanding, I am appreciative of the Pakistani team's performance. They gave a run for the money. And the Pakistani public. There was no frenzy and so far there is no law and order problems in Karachi which is supposed to be extremely volatile.

I compliment all concerned. Its great to see such amity.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Congratulations to the Indian team and people!

It was truly an EXCELLENT game and everyone was sitting on the edge of their seats till literally the LAST BALL!!

Great game for cricket lovers all over the world!

Hope to see more such cricket in the coming days!

[THE FOLLOWING IS AN ARTICLE FROM A LEADING INDIAN ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER WHICH DESCRIBES THE CRICKET MATCH IN KARACHI, PAKISTAN AND THE ARRANGEMENTS MADE BY THE PAKISTAN AUTHORITIES AND THE WARMTH EXPERIENCED BY THE INDIAN PLAYERS IN PAKISTAN]

http://www.hindustantimes.com/htcric...1600530001.htm

Amidst all the security, the first one-day match starts on Saturday. Everybody's eyes will be on this series, as India is coming to Pakistan for a full-fledged series after 14 years. I have not seen the security provided to a President or a Prime Minister of a country, but what we have been provided is beyond anything I imagined.

From the time you come off the plane the only thing you can see is a sea of securitymen who they call Rangers -- a wing of the Pakistan Army. From the time the team boards the bus the entire 15-20 km from airport to hotel is sealed off and there's not a single car on the street. There are Black Cat commandos posted at every junction in every lane. There are seven commando vans in and around the team bus, two on each side and in the front.

Even the food that comes to you is tasted by an official. It is an unbelievable experience! The other day I was sitting in the lobby of the hotel in Lahore and I asked for a cup of tea. I kept waiting and they wouldn't serve it because there was no taster available. Finally someone else tasted the tea and I was allowed to drink.

The boys are getting used to it as they have no choice. Even when you come down to the reception four commandos are with you. So much is at stake in the series, that the Pakistan government is taking no chances and I must appreciate the way they have organised the series and the security. It has been amazing!

The warmth that has been extended to the team is also beyond imagination. It is more than what we get in India and definitely more than anywhere else in the world. It is something we are ourselves struggling to come to terms with. So people at home can't even imagine this.

The atmosphere at the ground is outstanding. I have played India, Pakistan games in two World Cups and in other parts of the world, but this is special.

Comment

Re: che this out!!

Originally posted by Jay
                To control the crowd :YIKES!

JAY, I THINK YOUR TITLE ABOVE IS A BIT UNCALLED FOR. THE INDIAN TEAM THEMSELVES ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE WARMTH AND HOSPITALITY THAT THEY HAVE BEEN RECIEVED WITH AND TREATED IS AS THEY HAD NEVER EXPECTED AND TRULY MEETS THE STANDARDS OF HOSPITALITY THAT ARE LEGENDARY FOR THE PEOPLE OF PAKISTAN

Comment

anyways;

if you wish to see some more pics; for all the cricket fanatics out there; some great cricketing pics; click the link below;

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/sho...&threadid=1778

Hope you enjoy the pics!

Comment

Vision,
                    I didnt say that the crowd behaved badly. Like it or not the whole security in the stadium and Karachi shows the seriousness of the issue.

The last time we toured there, one of our players got injured in the middle of the ground.

Anyways, I'm so thankful and happy for, the people of Karachi didnt resort to any unwanted situations .Hope that this trend continues.
                    Last edited by Jay; 13 Mar 04,, 23:44.

Comment

Vision,

Why cause a law ans order problem in this forum, when the actual public there in the stadium behaved better?

Let us not bring the Indo Pak tensions here also, especially when the leaders are trying their best to ease tensions and there appears to be a change of heart in both the Nations.

It is just a game being played by 22 players to entertain all!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                        This one was a bit more, it was proof India and Pakistan can, not only get along but, have a good time together.

BTW.... WTF is cricket? :)
                        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
                          BTW.... WTF is cricket? :)
                          Originally posted by Ray
                          :D

Visit BBC to know the rules and stuff...
                          http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/h...et/default.stm

:)
                          Last edited by Jay; 14 Mar 04,, 17:52.

Comment

Some more heart warming pics...

Young Pakistani fan cries as she watches cricket match

Indian soldiers in Kashmir celebrated the victory in Karachi

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                              Vision,

Why cause a law ans order problem in this forum, when the actual public there in the stadium behaved better?

Let us not bring the Indo Pak tensions here also, especially when the leaders are trying their best to ease tensions and there appears to be a change of heart in both the Nations.

Ray;

please ... don't point the finger at me ... I throughly enjoyed the game and really wish we can have more of the same ...

may I point out ... just to put the RECORD straight ... thats all ... IT WASN'T ME WHO STARTED ABOUT THE LAW AND ORDER SITUATION COMENTS ...

Please scroll up and see who did ... I was only pointing out ... that THERE WAS NO CROWD CONTROL PROBLEM ... since cricket fans and the public in Pakistan welcomed the Indian crickters very warmly ...

and I am sure they will experience the same klegendary Pakistani hospitality throughout the series ...

I am all for this ...

Comment

Working...
                              X