F*** EGM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F*** EGM

Check out this topic & petition that has veterans from both sides of the Atlantic seriously PO'ed

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showth...hreadid=157365

I fired off a letter. Email they can dished. They have to keep mail.

Comment

The EGM images seen to have disappeared but i read enough to guess what had been done to the Getty originals which were posted.

Its crass journalism from a bunch of journo's probably in their first year out of college. Apparently they were surprised that so many American's were upset by the faked image. So dead Ruskies are, in their eyes, to be given no respect? On a human level that is just obscene, and i imagine every squaddie on the planet has respect for fallen men in uniform no matter whose uniform it is.

TBH the world wouldn't suffer too much if this led to the closure of EGM. And frankly i hope the market responds and their advertising revenue falls through the floor.
      at

Comment

You and I may find it distasteful but the fact remains it is their property, they have every right to control it's usage.

If you don't like it I'm sure Russia would be more then happy to strip you of your private property rights.

They already apologized for it too...
        http://www.egmmag.com/article2/0,4364,1434661,00.asp

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
          You and I may find it distasteful but the fact remains it is their property, they have every right to control it's usage.

If you don't like it I'm sure Russia would be more then happy to strip you of your private property rights.

They already apologized for it too...
          http://www.egmmag.com/article2/0,4364,1434661,00.asp
          Check out the posted image of the original photo and read the fine print. And they want to threaten someone who works for the Russian Federation with a lawsuit...

Also I'm fairly sure there's a stack of EGM's from the mid ninties in my closest. Looks like they get to be part of a bonfire this summer. :D

Comment

Actually they licensed the image and then doctored it. I am sure within the remits of their license and all legally correct but even so, it doesn't excuse their attitude.

I have no idea why you (Praxus) mention Russia being more than happy of stripping me of my private property rights, but at least we have that in common, you have no idea either. Why on Earth did you say that?

Their apology is hollow. Their financial contribution even went to the wrong place. Did it go to the Ruskies? No.

As for "We altered this image to fit a story theme (soldiers preparing for online war), not realizing what the original context was (soldiers mourning their fallen comrades)." - quote from their apology. Oh i see. So those soliders standing holding pictures of other men, all of whom had a black band across the corner. What could that mean? And the descriptions that accompany the original image that say " Soldaier's gather in memory of war victims" etc. Are we supposed to believe journalists can't read?

All their apology has done is convince me that my original assessment was probably right and that I, personally, hope the market reacts appropriately and advertisers steer clear of the magazine.

Thats my opinion, to which i am sure Praxus will offer thoughts on Soviet dogma.
            Last edited by Trooth; 03 Mar 04,, 02:33.
            at

Comment

F*** Egm

-nt-
              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

I have no idea why you (Praxus) mention Russia being more than happy of stripping me of my private property rights, but at least we have that in common, you have no idea either. Why on Earth did you say that?
                Copyrights exsist to protect Intelectual Property Rights!

They have a right to sue you if you infringe on that copyright.

It's not to complicated.

I may think it's stupid to threaten to sue but they reserve that right.

Russia is hardly a free country and are continuely attacking the rights of private companies. There are numerous cases of it. You can look it up if you like(there is to in the US and Europe but not nearly to same degree as in Russia).

Besides that I honestly have no idea why I said it, must of been drunk or something:LOL
                Last edited by Praxus; 03 Mar 04,, 21:49.

Comment

I think their use of that material is probably legal under the Fair Use Provision of Title 17, U.S.C. Section 107.
                  "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
                    Russia is hardly a free country and are continuely attacking the rights of private companies. There are numerous cases of it. You can look it up if you like(there is to in the US and Europe but not nearly to same degree as in Russia).

Besides that I honestly have no idea why I said it, must of been drunk or something:LOL
                    Alcohol would explain it. The soldiers in the subject were russian, but as i understand it neither EGM not Getty images are. I fail to see where Russia would come into the intellectual property arguement. You may as well highlight Brazil, or the Pathfinder landing site on Mars.

Also, the magazine has previously conceded that there was no actual basis for its threat of legal action. It was a knee jerk reaction to the magazine image being posted on a forum. However the magazine has conceded that its legal department did not check the usage of the image (the critical context) and it threat was without foundation.

But given all that, it was lazy and cheap "journalism". They couldn't be bothered to illustrate their review properly, they simply innapporpriately (from an ethical point of view) adjusted another image.

Bad taste and amatuerish.
                    at

Comment

But given all that, it was lazy and cheap "journalism". They couldn't be bothered to illustrate their review properly, they simply innapporpriately (from an ethical point of view) adjusted another image.

Bad taste and amatuerish.
                      I agree.

Comment

Working...
                      X