PDA

View Full Version : Captured AQ letter sheds new light on internal friction and strategic missteps

Shek
26 Sep 06,, 01:21
This is similar to some discussion on the Iraq board, but I wanted to give this some more visibility, which is why I posted it here.

The captured letter sheds new light on the friction between al-Qa`ida’s senior leadership and al-Qa`ida’s commanders in Iraq over the appropriate use of violence. The identity of the letter’s author, “`Atiyah,” is unknown, but based on the contents of the letter he seems to be a highly placed al-Qa`ida leader who fought in Algeria in the early 1990s. `Atiyah's letter echoes many of the themes found in the October 2005 letter written to Zarqawi by al-Qa`ida’s deputy, Ayman al-Zawahiri; indeed, it goes so far as to explicitly confirm the authenticity of that earlier letter. `Atiyah’s admonitions in this letter, like those of Zawahiri in his letter to Zarqawi, also dovetail with other publicly available texts by al-Qa`ida strategists.
Read more here (http://ctc.usma.edu/harmony/3OO31006-english25639-05.pdf).

Parihaka
26 Sep 06,, 02:04
Well that was an interesting read.

Bill
26 Sep 06,, 08:45
IMO the reality is that all Al Q has to do is simply "not lose."

Ray
26 Sep 06,, 16:46
If one studies the people dispassionately, there is a continuous struggle amongst them to be the head honcho.

The desire to be the last word in everything is an historical fact.

When such a mindset is at work, then obviously there shall be conflict of interests.

Those who are affected by these people require to study their psychology and work towards ensuring that such a pyschology runs supreme amongst them.

Parihaka
26 Sep 06,, 17:40
If one studies the people dispassionately, there is a continuous struggle amongst them to be the head honcho.

The desire to be the last word in everything is an historical fact.

When such a mindset is at work, then obviously there shall be conflict of interests.

Those who are affected by these people require to study their psychology and work towards ensuring that such a pyschology runs supreme amongst them.Internal strife, yes, I like it.
Making obvious to the public their "pretend to get on with the heretics, and we'll deal to them latter" attitude couldn't hurt either.

edit: I also found interesting their poor communications (I mean websites with passwords?) I'd thought they were more technically litterate than that. Also Waziristan? What's with the open admission that that is where they are?

Srirangan
26 Sep 06,, 18:14
IMO the reality is that all Al Q has to do is simply "not lose."
They set such low victory targets that they invariably end up 'winning'.

"Look we just lost 3000 men, some Jews died too, we won!"
"Look Kargil was a success, only the Prime Minister caved in, but militarily we won!"

And you know why this is? Because human life is cheap for them. If Hezbolah hides in a civilian area, say 25 Lebanese die, nobody ever blames Hezbollah. It is always Israel's fault.

You make muslim mothers care for their boys and don't send'em to die, all this terror will atleast will dry up.

Ray
26 Sep 06,, 18:31
Sri,

But life is not so important and it can and must be sacrificed for their religion is what they are indoctrinated in from birth to their death!

I marvel at their indoctrination and the Americans used to say the best brainwashed people are the Russians and the Chinese!

The Russians and the Chinese, in comparison, are at the nursery level!

Ray
26 Sep 06,, 18:37
Also, this should be interesting for you.

See the flipflop.

Everything is a matter of convenience and a state of denial!

CAIR's Awad denies support for Hamas

In the course of an article about the Muslim Congressional candidate, Keith Ellison of Minnesota, CAIR's Nihad Awad declares his support for Ellison -- and his rejection of Hamas.

"Muslims rally around congressional candidate," from AP, with thanks to Mike:

Republicans are trying to make an issue of a contribution from another Council on American-Islamic Relations official - executive director Nihad Awad, who gave Ellison $2,000.

In a fundraising letter last week, state GOP Chairman Ron Carey said Ellison has received "financial support from a self-identified supporter of Hamas."

That was a reference to Awad's 1994 statement that he preferred Hamas to the Palestinian Liberation Organization. In an interview, Awad said that was before the group engaged in suicide bombings and was designated a terrorist organization by the State Department.

Actually, Awad said flatly: "I am in support of the Hamas movement." He said this in 1994. It just so happens that I have preserved the old Hamas website's "glory record" of attacks against Israelis here. Here are some of Hamas' self-described exploits from before 1994:

3. Boureen Operation: The militant Hamdan Hussein Al:najar, a member of Hamas, killed the Israeli settler Ya'coub Berey using a big rock as his weapon. The militant was shot down as a martyr after he had ambushed an Israeli patrol using the dead settler's weapon....

6. Bus No. 405 Operation: Militant Ahmed Hussein Shukry, a member of Hamas, was able to lead an Israeli soldier to a secluded place in Tel Aviv where the militant hit the soldier with a chisel and killed him on 8 September 1989. The following day, the militant got on bus No. 405 and stabbed the driver to take over the bus; however, the passengers were able to stop the militant....

12. Keryat Youval Operation: The militant Mohammed Mustafa Abu Jalala stabbed four Israelis and injured another at a bus station in Keryat Youval in Jerusalem before he was arrested by the Israeli forces.

13. Askalan Road Operation: While driving a taxi, the militant Jameel Ismail Al:baz, a member of Hamas, ran over a group of Israelis waiting on this road on 19 July 1991....

15. Shailou Operation: A military group belonging to Al Qassam Brigades attacked an Israeli bus carrying some settlers on their way to Tel Aviv to participate in demonstrations organized by the extremist party Likud against the peace process. The bus was completely destroyed; two Israelis were killed and five more were injured....

17. Eid Al-maskhara Operation: The militant Ra'ed Al:reefy attacked an Israeli crowd in Jaffa on 17 March 1992. He was able to kill 2 and injure 21 Israelis who gathered to celebrate Eid Al:maskhara, also known as Al:boureem.

18. Beit Lahya Operation: On the third anniversary of Sheikh Ahmed Yassin's arrest, a group belonging to Al Qassam Brigades attacked an Israeli settler at Beit Lahya and shot him down then withdrew safely....

21. Carlo Factory Operation: Four militants belonging to Al Qassam Brigades broke into a citrus packing factory (Carlo) near Nahal Oaz at 2:30 p.m. on 25 June 1992. Three militants stabbed two Israelis while the other was guarding....

Suicide bombings? No. Terrorist attacks on civilians? Sure. And there are many, many more on the list dating from before 1994. So are we to understand that Awad supported such operations, and only stopped supporting Hamas later, although these was no change in its ideology and no change in its taste for victimizing civilians?

Now Awad says:

"I don't support Hamas today," Awad said. "My position and CAIR's position is extremely clear - we condemn suicide bombings. We are mainstream American Muslims."

Is that so? It wasn't very long ago that Hamas leader Sheikh Yassin was killed by Israel. CAIR condemned his killing, without ever mentioning that Yassin was the mastermind and director of suicide killings for Hamas. At that time -- March 2004 -- CAIR said:

"We condemn this violation of international law as an act of state terrorism by Ariel Sharon's out-of-control government. Israel's extra-judicial killing of an Islamic religious leader can only serve to perpetuate the cycle of violence throughout the region. The international community must now take concrete steps to help protect the Palestinian people against such wanton Israeli violence."
http://jihadwatch.org/

See also here for more on the CAIR/Hamas ties.

When did CAIR stop supporting Hamas? I searched the CAIR website for "Hamas." There are three possible searches: News Briefs, Action Alerts, and Press Releases. Only News Briefs turned up anything at all: an old article from Haaretz attacking Ariel Sharon.

So if CAIR now condemns Hamas, where is it saying so? Just in the lower paragraphs of articles about other subjects? We can't even get one press release about it? Not one Action Alert calling on Muslims everywhere to condemn Hamas?

So, it is a very difficult proposition to change the mindset!

smilingassassin
26 Sep 06,, 21:34
They set such low victory targets that they invariably end up 'winning'.

"Look we just lost 3000 men, some Jews died too, we won!"
"Look Kargil was a success, only the Prime Minister caved in, but militarily we won!"

And you know why this is? Because human life is cheap for them. If Hezbolah hides in a civilian area, say 25 Lebanese die, nobody ever blames Hezbollah. It is always Israel's fault.

You make muslim mothers care for their boys and don't send'em to die, all this terror will atleast will dry up.

So VERY true....

highsea
27 Sep 06,, 22:12
This is similar to some discussion on the Iraq board, but I wanted to give this some more visibility, which is why I posted it here.Major, is this letter confirmed to be authentic?

If so, it should spell some serious trouble for Pakistan, as it makes no attempt to disguise the whereabouts of OBL and Zawahiri. Suspicions are one thing, but this is pretty damning confirmation straight from the horse's mouth, as it were.

Say bye-bye F-16, hello daisy-cutter, Mushy...