• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President Kalam not to seek second term

President Kalam not to seek second term

Monday, September 25, 2006

Source: NDTV
    Image Source: AFP

New Delhi: When President A P J Abdul Kalam's tenure comes to an end, it may not be surrounded by the question of will he or won't he be the President for a second term.

During his visit to his hometown Rameswaram he has made it clear that he wants to be a teacher.

With less than a year for his term to come to an end, the first citizen says he will not seek a second term.

He is instead going to do what he loves most.

"Next, I'm going to be a teacher," Kalam said.

People in his hometown are disappointed. They were hoping that the people's President would opt for a second innings at the Rashtrapathi Bhavan.

But for a man who loves to be in the company of young people, his passion for teaching seems set to prevail.

Sad! Sad indeed i still want him as our president for second term but oh well i'll hope tht a president comes in who knows stuffs well specially when it comes to take bold steps and measures. hes is great as a person keeping his achievements aside.
    In the meantime lets say!
    Long Live our president and God Bless India!.

Disappointing for the centre a gain for the students

This is sad news indeed. The nation loses a great head of state who really inspired the citizens. The flip side of the coin is that students gain. Dr. Kalam is a man who inspires one and the students need someone just like him.

Dr. Kalam probably got fedup of the political framework especially with the recent issues which cropped up. The only Indian president that I know of who kept these politicans on their toes.

I wish him all the best.

Comment

I can see former Infosys head Narayan Murthy take his place.:)

Wishing Mr.Kalam Best of luck for his future endeavours.:)

Comment

Damn shame.

I sure wish he was our President again.

He is totally apolitical and has conducted himself ever so perfectly and with dignity inspite of very knotty problems presented before him that it is hard to believe.

If he is not our President again, it will be our loss!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Dude if narayan murthy takes place GET READY TO buy some shares cuz i can see sensex hitting 20000 mark!!!
          damn hes a great person too.

Comment

Narayan Murthy for President. He won't be elected, they're gonna get some guy who'll be willing to sign the Caste Based Reservations Bill.

That's right India, I haven't forgotten. You've denied me opportunities because I wear a thread. Grr..
            I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

Ratan Tata is another good candidate, actually even better than Murthy. A fitting tribute to the Tata Group. JRD and Nani Palkivala should have been Presidents in the past, rather than Venkataraman and Zail Singh.

Rumours abound, Arun Shourie is being suggested as BJP's choice for PM. A very suitable choice indeed. Drawback being, he never contested and won an election as an MP.

Comment

It really might be disturbing to say this, but I am relieved that President Kalam will be demitting office, not that I ever expected that he would go for a second term as it is an unwritten constitutional rule that a President of India will not serve a second term.

So start singing out loud with me the song from ‘Fiddler On The Roof”, “Tradition”.

My relief stems from the fact that President Kalam, is, was and I am entirely sure will be, a thoroughly perfect gentlemen.

Unfortunately we need in India slightly more ambivalent personalities to run our bloody fractious polity.

I am truly thankful, constitutionally, that the s*h*I*t did not hit the fan during his term in office.

President Kalam, I am entirely sure would have done the perfectly moral thing. If that was the “right” thing, is a different matter.

Let us also give Mr. Narayanamurthy a pass for similar reasons: splendid, iconic and emulation worthy an individual as he is, perhaps even more than President Kalam.

We in India do not need “nice” individuals as President, we need individuals who when the s*h*I*t hits the fan can play the cynical political game.

Hey, does the rubbishing of high principle matter?

No it does not, as that is what makes me sleep well at night ! Fcuk you guys and gals as I insist I am entirely right .
                Last edited by Hari_Om; 30 Sep 06,, 21:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Hari_Om View Post
                  It really might be disturbing to say this, but I am relieved that President Kalam will be demitting office, not that I ever expected that he would go for a second term as it is an unwritten constitutional rule that a President of India will not serve a second term.

So start singing out loud with me the song from ‘Fiddler On The Roof”, “Tradition”.

My relief stems from the fact that President Kalam, is, was and I am entirely sure will be, a thoroughly perfect gentlemen.

Unfortunately we need in India slightly more ambivalent personalities to run our bloody fractious polity.

I am truly thankful, constitutionally, that the s*h*I*t did not hit the fan during his term in office.

President Kalam, I am entirely sure would have done the perfectly moral thing. If that was the “right” thing, is a different matter.

Let us also give Mr. Narayanamurthy a pass for similar reasons: splendid, iconic and emulation worthy an individual as he is, perhaps even more than President Kalam.

We in India do not need “nice” individuals as President, we need individuals who when the s*h*I*t hits the fan can play the cynical political game.

Hey, does the rubbishing of high principle matter?

No it does not, as that is what makes me sleep well at night ! Fcuk you guys and gals as I insist I am entirely right .

Hari: If I remember the constitution correctly, I believe an Indian President does not have any real power he/she is just a figurehead. Bills become law once the president has signed them, the president can send a bill back for reconsideration, but if the parliament decides to keep the bill as is the pres has no real choice but to sign the bill. Ray/Lemontree would be able to give more accurate information.

I read a report in the TOI a few years back where it was stated that Pres. Kalam keeps our parliamentarians on their toes, every bill that went to him for signatures would be returned the very next day to parliament either signed or with questions attached. Apparently he does not need a lot of sleep and uses time effectively!

All said, I believe he is one of the best presidents we have had, not only because he is efficient, intellectual, insprational, passionate about what he can do to change things for better, but also because he genuinely cares and gets the message across to all strata. If we had some more Indians like him especially in the parliament things would change pretty fast.

Gilgamesh: Mr. Ratan Tata would be a very good choice indeed. Mr. Narayanmurthi is another great guy, a very gentle soul.

Comment

Its sad very sad.................pure hearted & brod minded persons like Dr.Azad are rare to find................he should be persuaded to remain in his post for atleast 1 more term..............it seems that he has become sick of political gimmic...............

however a few suitable candidates are..........
                    1.vice president Bhairon singh sekhawat (a sesoned & honest politician)
                    2.infosys chairmen narayan murthy (well he is simply 2 well known)
                    3.noted lawyer Fali nariman (an extremely efficient lawyer...)
                    4.mr ratan tata [a noted industrialist..........]

you folks suggest a few more names.............
                    sigpic

सत्यमेव जयते
                    SATYAMEV JAYATE

Comment

Originally posted by joey View Post
                      President Kalam not to seek second term

Monday, September 25, 2006

Source: NDTV
                      Image Source: AFP

New Delhi: When President A P J Abdul Kalam's tenure comes to an end, it may not be surrounded by the question of will he or won't he be the President for a second term.

During his visit to his hometown Rameswaram he has made it clear that he wants to be a teacher.

With less than a year for his term to come to an end, the first citizen says he will not seek a second term.

He is instead going to do what he loves most.

"Next, I'm going to be a teacher," Kalam said.

People in his hometown are disappointed. They were hoping that the people's President would opt for a second innings at the Rashtrapathi Bhavan.

But for a man who loves to be in the company of young people, his passion for teaching seems set to prevail.

Sad! Sad indeed i still want him as our president for second term but oh well i'll hope tht a president comes in who knows stuffs well specially when it comes to take bold steps and measures. hes is great as a person keeping his achievements aside.
                      In the meantime lets say!
                      Long Live our president and God Bless India!.
                      If onlythe muslim world had leaders of the caliber of A P J Abdul Kalam, instead of the numerous narrow minded ayatollahs, they probably would be able to deal with the mess they are in

Comment

The loss will be of India.

He is our best President.

Never indulged in politics and was above all pettyfogging.

Great man!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

traditionally president is just a titular rank in constituition ....why to waste such a eminent person like abdul kalam in presidential post ....

let him go back and head some of prominent projects in defence sector ....

Comment

As another poster pointed out, we need somebody tough, like Zail Singh . Pretend you are Indira's faithful servant and then you go for the scruff when the time is right(he almost dismissed Rajiv).

Comment

Originally posted by veera8 View Post
                              traditionally president is just a titular rank in constituition ....why to waste such a eminent person like abdul kalam in presidential post ....
                              We require people like him to ensure that crafty, dirty, dogs of filthy politicians don't hijack the country!

If it were a direct vote from the people, he would have won hands down!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                              X