PDA

View Full Version : President Musharraf and the Taliban

Ray
24 Sep 06,, 19:30
Sunday, September 24, 2006 E-Mail this article to a friend Printer Friendly Version

EDITORIAL: President Musharraf and the Taliban

President Pervez Musharraf said at the joint White House press conference with President George W Bush on Friday that his deal with a grand jirga in North Waziristan had been misrepresented in the press. It was not a deal “with” the Taliban, he explained, but “against” the Taliban. The American president gracefully nodded, implying he believed what his Pakistani counterpart was saying. But the fact is that there is a whole gallery of pen-wielders in Pakistan and the United States who don’t believe that any jirga conceivably can, or will, challenge the Taliban. The Afghan president, Hamid Karzai, who too is in the United States, is not so trusting; he says the Taliban leader Mullah Umar could be sitting in Karachi and that those who have reared a “snake” should beware because the snake is bound to sting them too, a reference to the Taliban allegedly hiding in areas of Pakistan.

Admittedly, Mr Karzai’s credibility on this score has fallen since he tried “pointation” with telephone numbers and addresses in Quetta when he last visited Pakistan. In the event, the information he gave was outdated or fictitious even in the eyes of the CIA whom the Pakistanis took along when they investigated the charges. President Bush also has to take Mr Karzai with a pinch of salt because of his “irredentist” refusal to put gates at the Torkham border to better regulate the traffic of people and goods between Afghanistan and Pakistan . But if Mr Karzai is less than credible, what about General Musharraf? It is not so much a question of whether he is telling the truth or not, but whether his statement is credible policy? Can he tackle the Taliban?

We believe that President Musharraf sincerely intends to grasp the nettle of the Taliban and put an end to the scepticism about his policies that is very much in the air in Washington. The problem is that his action against the troublemakers in Waziristan has not paid off. The new “package deal” put together by Governor Orakzai is more or less a pull-back from the earlier strategy of “going and getting them” and a reversion to the well-known traditional approach of letting the tribals do what they want. The “deal” repeats some of the elements of the earlier agreements made in the area — after much greasing of dubious palms — and includes the condition that “foreigners” register themselves or get out. If the “foreigners” did not get out last time when the army was in the area hunting them, what guarantee is there this time that they will tamely register themselves? Or is that not a condition anymore?

The jirga which is supposed to deliver the “foreigners” cannot be different from the earlier jirgas who were tamed by the Taliban and Al Qaeda after killing over a hundred influential jirga members. The Taliban are supposed to be Afghan followers of Mullah Umar who take refuge in Pakistan and launch attacks in Afghanistan, but they are linked to Al Qaeda too, together with other warriors from a number of neighbouring countries in the region. They are in Waziristan and in places like Bajaur where members of Al Qaeda were last sighted. And they are in Balochistan, mostly ensconced in and around Quetta, where too many foreign and local journalists have met them for Pakistan to deny it credibly.

Both the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) and Balochistan are outside of the normal “writ” of the state and it has become difficult to tell a Pakistani Pashtun from an Afghan Taliban in many parts of FATA because of the “Talibanisation” which has picked up while President Musharraf was busy catching the “real Afghan Taliban” and “Arab Al Qaeda”. In fact, the last time there was news from Waziristan the local Taliban were shutting video shops and trying to proclaim a mini-state of their own there. Needless to say, the MMA government in Peshawar led by the JUI fully supports the Talibanisation going on in territories contiguous to the province and makes no bones about hero-worshipping both Mullah Umar and Osama bin Laden. In recent times the lawlessness of the “buffer zone” has spread to areas under normal municipal administration. Worse, the MMA and PMLQ politicians who support President Musharraf do not find too much wrong with this development.

Does General Musharraf have the political support he needs to corner the Taliban and prevent Pakistan itself from going under their fanatic rule? The short answer, as he is inclined to say, is “no”. But as General (r) Talat Masood wrote recently, “In Pakistan, the political parties and the people do not take the campaign against terror seriously. Ironically, the ruling party, the PML, is least enthusiastic about fighting extremism and does not seem to share President Musharraf’s vision.”

Most Pakistanis want General Musharraf to succeed in projects that are palpably for the good of the state of Pakistan in the long run. But his failures are steadily mounting against his rostrum of success. One has to concede that even for good policies to find support it is important for them to succeed. He couldn’t tackle the madrassa issue and gave up when the clergy defied him; he couldn’t resolve the textbooks issue after he found that the ruling PML was not keen on it — in the Northern Areas two federal ministers dealing with education and religious affairs have let the textbook crisis remain on the boil — and his Balochistan operation and his Kalabagh Dam project have either withered on the vine or led to bigger crises.

We must credit President Musharraf with trying to cope under a form of democracy. But it is because of democracy that he needs political support. Having chosen a batch of particularly conservative political partners, he now finds diminishing approval for his enlightened “national interest” projects. Meanwhile, the politicians against him are following the same rule he did when he formed his alliance with his ideological opposites: they are in bed with all sorts of unlikely allies in order to oust him. Sniffing the air for votes in 2007, the ruling party thinks his policies are a distraction, as we saw in the case of the Hudood laws. Therefore any attempt to extend his agenda must begin with a revision of his alliances with a view to enlarging his support base. *
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2006\09\24\story_24-9-2006_pg3_1

Musharraf and Pakistan is lying to its teeth or is incapable of putting their money where their mouth is! Take you choice.

A total flip flop.

They cannot take action against Islam and AQ and Taliban are Islam folks. It will be heresey and so all this flim flam is merely jetsam and floatsam, apart from undiluted bilgewater.

Paksitan deserves more sympathy than scorn.

Xplorerer,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
amongst the Islamic faith who revere him as the true Messiah who is saving the religion from disappearing!

Would you substantiate your comments by some link? Or it is traditional hindu commentry?
(Post #16 http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=16534)

Allah is with me.

I require no Hindu or Christian link, Allah has given me a Islamic link as above!

MMA government in Peshawar led by the JUI fully supports the Talibanisation going on in territories contiguous to the province and makes no bones about hero-worshipping both Mullah Umar and Osama bin Laden.

I actually didn't have to prove anything to you since it was so evident and so axiomatic to a person who can read and I presume everyone who reads does read a newspaper and is conversant with the issues. But since you did not exhibit this acumen, I thought it right to open your eyes.

Further, stop living a life of denial. Man, wake up to this world. Wake up to reality and not live in the medieaval times or the Stone Age. Armstrong was just kidding!

xplore
24 Sep 06,, 20:18
Seems like this forum is dedicated to discuss Pakistan rather then world affairs:) .

Anyway as you have raised this issue I would like to clarify.

Generally in Islamic world united state is hated although some governments support its policies but these are not reflective of peoples sentiments. Does it means that all Muslim's like Taliban? Either Pakistani's or rest of the Muslim world including Indian Muslims, all hate Taliban and Mullah's equally like United States.To understand that you need a bit of knowledge and wisdom which is not very common in poverty striken areas where people spend more time worrying for living.

No doubt that Taliban was assembled by Pakistan but the reason behind it was that United State brought Muslim youth from all over the world, trained them and radiclised them to fight soviet union. Once the Soviets pulled back these fighters were dumped by US and were free to carryout criminal activities around the world and Pakistan was worst effectd, in that situation Pakistan assembled these fighters in to Taliban and send back to Afghanistan.

As this problem was created by US so they are handling it today in Afgahnistan. As regards Taliban's support by hardliners it can not be denied but implieng that into Muslim's or Pakistani people support is equally unwise. Hardliner is Pakistan doesnt enjoy support of more then 2% population and same is the situation in rest of the Islamic world, weather it is Malaysia, Indonasia or Saudi Arabia.

When you talk about Muslim's in general you must remeber that India was ruled by Musliam's for centuries and these times Hindu's and Sikh's enjoyed religious freedom which we can not see today when it is being ruled by Hindu's. By that I dont mean that all hindus are extremists are terrorists but it can not be denied that Hindu hardliners are no batter then the Muslim hardliners.

If you look at the world history you will find same behaviour in Christaian and Jew hardliners. If it was only the case with Muslims then today Hindu's and Christians in Malaysia would not have been in peace. The second biggest population of Jews would not been living peacefully in Iran and Sikh's and Muslim's would not been killed in India.

Ray
24 Sep 06,, 20:55
[QUOTE]Seems like this forum is dedicated to discuss Pakistan rather then world affairs:) .

I take it that you consider that Paksitan is still a part of the world.

Or has Armitage's words of blowing Pakistan to Kingdom Come shocked you so much that you feel that it is no longer in the world.

Then this is the South Asia forum of WAB. What did you expect to be discussed? Timbuctoo and the African tse tse fly menace, if any, over there?

Anyway as you have raised this issue I would like to clarify.

Generally in Islamic world united state is hated although some governments support its policies but these are not reflective of peoples sentiments. Does it means that all Muslim's like Taliban? Either Pakistani's or rest of the Muslim world including Indian Muslims, all hate Taliban and Mullah's equally like United States.To understand that you need a bit of knowledge and wisdom which is not very common in poverty striken areas where people spend more time worrying for living.

What's new?

Just what I had said. "Some" Moslems and not "All Moslems".

Check what you have stated!

You take off in every post of yours like a high strung jack in the box. You don't read and in the bargain you start a chain of posts that are totally infructuous.

No doubt that Taliban was assembled by Pakistan but the reason behind it was that United State brought Muslim youth from all over the world, trained them and radiclised them to fight soviet union. Once the Soviets pulled back these fighters were dumped by US and were free to carryout criminal activities around the world and Pakistan was worst effectd, in that situation Pakistan assembled these fighters in to Taliban and send back to Afghanistan.

As is wont with you people, you go blaming others for your fault.

So, the US brought the Moslem youth?

And what did you do in Pakistan? Sit back and allow the US to run your country? Great! You are sounding like Musharraf. He claims that he is with the US or else the US would send it to the Stone Age. Is this the signature psyche of Pakistanis?

Friend, Pakistan is YOUR country. It is, I presume, a SOVEREIGN country. Therefore, if anything happens in that country, it is YOU who is doing it and not some other country. Please understand that. If you don't then you are demeaning your country and stating the unthinkable that you got Independence only to find that it is not worth it and so you once again chose to be a vassal nation! :eek:

As this problem was created by US so they are handling it today in Afgahnistan. As regards Taliban's support by hardliners it can not be denied but implieng that into Muslim's or Pakistani people support is equally unwise. Hardliner is Pakistan doesnt enjoy support of more then 2% population and same is the situation in rest of the Islamic world, weather it is Malaysia, Indonasia or Saudi Arabia.

2%?

And where did you obtain this magic figure from?

Do you want be to rebut this again? Read the above article c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y. I don't wish to get into this anymore since the crdibility of your statement has been rather badly shaken up as it is with my above post and the article from the Pakistani newspaper.

When you talk about Muslim's in general you must remeber that India was ruled by Musliam's for centuries and these times Hindu's and Sikh's enjoyed religious freedom which we can not see today when it is being ruled by Hindu's. By that I dont mean that all hindus are extremists are terrorists but it can not be denied that Hindu hardliners are no batter then the Muslim hardliners.

Again you are talking through your hat.

Religious freedom under Moslem in Indian history?

Check as to why the Sikh religion came into being. That is enough to speak volumes of the Islamic atrocities! The Sikh Gurus sons were walled up. Walled alive. The Hindus were tortured and the Jezia imposed! Man, I could go on and on.

Right now, the Moslems are governed by the Sharia Law in addition to the secular laws. Further, the Constitution has been changed for the Moslems to allow a certain reprehensible part of the Sharia to come into effect to appease the Moslem theological and political maniacs. The Consitution has not been changed for any other community. If that is not religious freedom, especiallu for the Moslems, then what is it? No country has changed its Constitution to appease any religious bigots but for India!

Get your fact right and your head out of the Mullah's grip. And as for historical distortions to appease the Mullahs in Pakistani educuation, wade through the WAB archives and there are many threads that lead to the Paksitani Education Commission stating so.

If you look at the world history you will find same behaviour in Christaian and Jew hardliners. If it was only the case with Muslims then today Hindu's and Christians in Malaysia would not have been in peace. The second biggest population of Jews would not been living peacefully in Iran and Sikh's and Muslim's would not been killed in India.

Friend, you sure delude yourself.

First of all, don't belabour under the impression that I am a Hindu.

Next, in Malaysia, Moslems can't get overly tough because the Chinese control the economy. Got that, Steve?

What is the Bhumiputra law all about? if it had been in anywhere in the world, there would be riots because it is a heinous and devious discrimination.

So, Stop giving me junk.

Please understand, I am an educated person from reputed institutions and not a madrassa addlepate!

xplore
24 Sep 06,, 21:06
[QUOTE=xplore;270783]

So, Stop giving me junk.

Please understand, I am an educated person for reputed institutions and not a madrassa addlepate!

Why you get angry so quickly???:)