PDA

View Full Version : Which one is the best military nation?

AlpErTunga
24 Sep 06,, 14:07
Which one is the best military nation?

brak
24 Sep 06,, 14:12
Liechtenstein because it has the worlds most powerful navy.

HistoricalDavid
24 Sep 06,, 14:21
Of course you'd put the Turks first...

Turkey this, Turkey that...

Bill
24 Sep 06,, 15:36
No Sparta eh?

HistoricalDavid
24 Sep 06,, 16:08
Or present-day America, for that matter.

astralis
24 Sep 06,, 17:07
m21,

No Sparta eh?

sparta was, for all its fame, actually relatively weak-sauce. it took them 27 years to defeat athens, and the only reason why athens lost was because athens shot itself in the...head...multiple times.

and it was still a close fight. sparta's reliance on an overly-small elite army meant that after athens captured 300-400 spartan hoplites, sparta sued for peace- sparta had just lost 10-20% of their army, right there.

then 30-40 years after their one great victory, they got their **** handed to them by the thebans.

Kansas Bear
24 Sep 06,, 17:36
Of course you'd put the Turks first...

Turkey this, Turkey that...

Of course, :rolleyes:

with the undocumented, without sources, 10,000 yr history of turks!! :rolleyes:

Perhaps, he's counting the numerous military coups in his country as a form of "power".

Bill
24 Sep 06,, 18:44
m21,

sparta was, for all its fame, actually relatively weak-sauce. it took them 27 years to defeat athens, and the only reason why athens lost was because athens shot itself in the...head...multiple times.

and it was still a close fight. sparta's reliance on an overly-small elite army meant that after athens captured 300-400 spartan hoplites, sparta sued for peace- sparta had just lost 10-20% of their army, right there.

then 30-40 years after their one great victory, they got their **** handed to them by the thebans.
The Spartans were the ultimate military society, regardless of any shortcomings they may have had.

leib10
24 Sep 06,, 19:51
They were probably the most military-minded society. That is, warmaking came before all other practices, although several Native American tribes could also qualify.

Bill
25 Sep 06,, 06:20
That's what i meant....in Spartan society it was religion, then war, then all else.

Spartans took their warfare damned seriously, even if they had shortcomings(and they did- as do all nations).

Low-tech
25 Sep 06,, 12:13
i wouldnt take plutarchs account of sparta too seriously.

factually correct but very exagerrated. seriously, what kind of mother wishes thier sons to die in combat? thats just plain stupid.

Amled
25 Sep 06,, 14:45
m21,
...then 30-40 years after their one great victory, they got their **** handed to them by the thebans.
...ahh yes "The Sacred Band".
It took Alexander the Great to put paid to them!

Bill
25 Sep 06,, 17:57
i wouldnt take plutarchs account of sparta too seriously.

factually correct but very exagerrated. seriously, what kind of mother wishes thier sons to die in combat? thats just plain stupid.
A lot of Muslim mothers sure seem to.

Low-tech
25 Sep 06,, 22:58
touche, ive seen some of those family photo pictures of muslim kids dressed up "body bomb" style in the news, on the web.

i vote the aztecs. and by best i mean "best dressed"

the aztecs armies dressed up like butterflies..............seriously.........wings and everything. they only fought with clubs,nothing sharp. the reason for this was so they actually dont kill the enemy......they just rodney king everyone. they did this so they would have plenty of captives for thier human sacrifice ceremonies.

captives where treated like kings, wine,women and song,treated like rockstars till that fateful day they were brought up on the pyramid and put under the knife.

dudes, nothing comes close to the aztecs. granted they werent that good at war and tactics and stuff but man, they were original.

Parihaka
25 Sep 06,, 23:30
The Scots regiments, no question. They may have had the English decide where and when they fought, but beyond that, it was them that took and held the Empire.

Officer of Engineers
26 Sep 06,, 03:26
Oh come on, there was nobody left to fight after they ran from those screeches of bag pipes.

leib10
26 Sep 06,, 03:31
they only fought with clubs,nothing sharp.

Wrong! What about the macana?

Low-tech
26 Sep 06,, 16:02
Wrong! What about the macana?

dont know what that is, i read something like what i described years ago. it may not be entirely accurate

leib10
26 Sep 06,, 17:31
A macana is basically a wooden staff with bits of sharp obsidian (which holds a much better edge than steel, BTW) embedded into it. It's more of an axe than a sword, since the central fixing point for the "axe bits" is not edged.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/05/Macahuitl.png/150px-Macahuitl.png

RFA
28 Sep 06,, 03:11
what about the british ??

Semper Fi
01 Oct 06,, 21:53
A macana is basically a wooden staff with bits of sharp obsidian (which holds a much better edge than steel, BTW) embedded into it. It's more of an axe than a sword, since the central fixing point for the "axe bits" is not edged.

LOL

Mexicans also commonly call another "tool" a Macana.:redface:

"Saca la macana"

Parihaka
01 Oct 06,, 22:47
Oh come on, there was nobody left to fight after they ran from those screeches of bag pipes.

Of course, that's why they were so effective:biggrin:
Scottish attack plan: Play them the bagpipes, and if that doesn't scare them off, invite them to a parley and get them pissed on Scotch. Then play them the bagpipes again. Works every time;)

Officer of Engineers
01 Oct 06,, 22:57
Hangovers and bagpipes! I'm sure that's against the Geneva Conventions somewhere, most definetely a crime against humanity.

-{SpoonmaN}-
02 Oct 06,, 03:49
Gotta go with the Mongols, coming out of the wastes and conquering hallf the world as fast as they did has got to count for something.

KPR
27 Oct 06,, 10:10
The French! :eek:

Labud_NS
30 Oct 06,, 18:38
I voted for Russians, because there are no Serbs. I've heard that on West Point academy, Serbs, Russians and Germans are thought as the best worior nations.

Rifleman
04 Nov 06,, 02:48
The folks who found themselves in Appalachia after leaving Ulster to avoid debtor's prison in the early 1700s! :biggrin:

Hey! Wait a minute. I resemble that comment! :eek:

Bill
04 Nov 06,, 04:31
The folks who found themselves in Appalachia after leaving Ulster to avoid debtor's prison in the early 1700s! :biggrin:

Hey! Wait a minute. I resemble that comment! :eek:
LOL, you a Molly MaGuire laddy? ;)

ahmet
05 Nov 06,, 12:54
As far as many people wouldn't decide objectively, that' s not a useful poll me thinks.

pdf27
05 Nov 06,, 16:46
what about the british ??
Should come under English. After all, the rest of the home nations were conquered by the English at some point or another (OK, except for the Scots - we took them over after they went Bankrupt).

omon
26 Jan 07,, 20:43
russians, every school has a military class starting from 9th grade. almost every male serves in the army, almost everyone there knows how to take apart, and put back, and use an AK.

Khan Sahab
30 Jan 07,, 17:31
The oldage Arabs.... Not perhaps the best but still worth mentioning. At least when Europe was DARK!

Trajan
06 Feb 07,, 22:56
I would have to say the Germans, at least in modern times. While their military heads and leading rulers have been found lacking a few noodles of a full ramen cup, their over-all military is quiet proficient and has a long standing history of professionalism and good discipline.

For example, who did the English turn to when their own soldiers were too limited for the American Revolution? The Hessians (germans). Who was the deciding nation that helped, quite largely, to defeat Napoleon at Waterloo? Prussia (also german). Who took control of nearly all of middle europe and by uniting the german princes and thereby stemming the power of the Austrian-Hungarian empire? The prussians, who then became the united german empire. Who was it that defeated Napoleon III in his last ditch effort to conquer europe? The germans (Franco-Prussian war 1876-77). Who was considered at the dawn of the new age (1900s) as having the best field army in the world? The Germans.

I have to say that they are, in my book, by far the best military nation.

snc128
09 Feb 07,, 12:52
Of course, :rolleyes:

with the undocumented, without sources, 10,000 yr history of turks!! :rolleyes:

Perhaps, he's counting the numerous military coups in his country as a form of "power".

u may change ur nick into biased bear.it sound better and more appropriate.
there is a term used for Turks.militar nation...
chinese made great chinese wall against Turk attacks
but ,to tell te truth i ve voited for Arabs cuz Arabs r the unique nation who could stop Mongolans.
in my opinion
Arabs
Mongolians
Turks
Germans
Greeks
Pers
Rus
Chinese