Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open letter from Halliburton

From Dave Lesar,

To hear the critics lately, it would be hard to recognize Halliburton as a company with 60 years experience serving the military since World War II when we built warships for the Roosevelt administration. With in all the political rhetoric, it would be impossible to find our employees who wear body armor and helmets while they work alongside the troops in Iraq. And lately, we would be unidentifiable as a company that is:
    • Values-driven
    • Transparent in our business transactions with the government.
    • Committed to help rebuild Iraq and provide food, shelter, Internet connections and clean clothes for the soldiers
    • Dedicated to our financial responsibility to our clients and stakeholders

That's why we have a team of internal auditors who do daily forensic work monitoring contracts to ensure that our work is an endorsement of Halliburton's code of business conduct. Recently, we found improper payments by one or two former employees in Kuwait.

We found it quickly and we reported it immediately to the Inspector General. Halliburton repaid the government for any potential losses so the taxpayers would not pay for the mistake. That's how we have conducted our business for both Democratic and Republican administrations. We self-report, and if a problem arises, we fix it.

It's the right way, and for us, it's the only way.

Sincerely yours,

David J. Lesar
    Chairman, President and
    Chief Executive Officer

*Note: First, the bolding is as it is in the letter. I did not add it. Second, I'm posting this because Halliburton has take a good deal of attacks from the media and from individuals on this forum, and I believe they have the right to defend themselves.

Thanks Leader, these guys allways get a bad rap. I'm not sure it's ever been proven to be deserved either.
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
      Thanks Leader, these guys allways get a bad rap. I'm not sure it's ever been proven to be deserved either.
      It's just too bad that this company had the misfortune to have the future vice-President on their board. It has made them a target for all the radical Bush haters out there. The least I could do was key in this letter when I saw it. This company has done a lot of good things, and they don't deserve to be slandered.

Comment

Is the bold emphasis yours or in the original text?

Recently, we found improper payments by one or two former employees in Kuwait.
        This gives me the impression that their self reporting isn't that rigorous. Is it one or two? :)
        at

Comment

I just saw BBC's Hard Talk. The contracts are sub contracted to the Iraqis at 1/6 the rate. 5/6 are weasled away by the US companies!

And Napoleon has said the Britiain is a land of shopkeepers! :roll :O

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Trooth
            This gives me the impression that their self reporting isn't that rigorous. Is it one or two? :)
            The investigation is yet to be complete, it's at least one.

Originally posted by Ray
            The contracts are sub contracted to the Iraqis at 1/6 the rate. 5/6 are weasled away by the US companies!
            Do you mean number of contracts? If so the reasons are for pre-planning purposes, and who else would get them besides other coalition countries? Or.... Do you mean pay rate? If so I would actually think 1/6 was alot more than they got paid durring SH's reign. How much does the average Iraqi get paid in comparison to an average US resident? It's really no different than contracting anything from customer support to wallpaper, if you can do the job cheeper, making the main company more money, then you get the contract.
            I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
            even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
            He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
              The investigation is yet to be complete, it's at least one.
              So tehy don't know? Well it was only an advertisement, we have to tke it with a pinch of salt.
              at

Comment

Is the bold emphasis yours or in the original text?
                *Note: First, the bolding is as it is in the letter. I did not add it. Second, I'm posting this because Halliburton has taken a good deal of attacks from the media and from individuals on this forum, and I believe they have the right to defend themselves.
                The point is that they found it themselves.

Comment

Sorry for not spotting your comment regarding the emphasis. Oops!
                  at

Comment

So tehy don't know? Well it was only an advertisement, we have to tke it with a pinch of salt.
                    Have seen nothing to indicate that anything that they stated is false.

Comment

Originally posted by Leader
                      Have seen nothing to indicate that anything that they stated is false.
                      It's an evil corporation, they have to be lying. :00

Comment

I am not saying anything that they are saying is false. I am pointing out that their rigorous reporting led to the highly precise "one or two".

Also, an open letter from a corporation is an advertisement. It isn't going to be critical of themselves is it? It will have been cleared by their marketing department etc. So whilst i am not saying it is unture, it is of course calculated.
                        at

Comment

I am pointing out that their rigorous reporting led to the highly precise "one or two".
                          So they should wait a couple of years for the investigations, law suits and etc. to be complete before they defend themselves? An open letter from a corporation is no different than an open letter from a charity or an individual, it's a chance to tell their side.

Comment

No arguement from me. But it is their side they are telling. Therefore it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. The salt being that we may need to "wait a couple of years for the investigations, law suits and etc. to be complete " before we know the actual facts.
                            at

Comment

ROTFL, which is why they didn't get specific. I guess, once again, I have no idea what you're talking about. You can't pick at a statement and then say you agree with it. LOL, whatever....

Comment

Working...
                              X