PDA

View Full Version : Open letter from Halliburton

Leader
09 Feb 04,, 23:42
From Dave Lesar,

To hear the critics lately, it would be hard to recognize Halliburton as a company with 60 years experience serving the military since World War II when we built warships for the Roosevelt administration. With in all the political rhetoric, it would be impossible to find our employees who wear body armor and helmets while they work alongside the troops in Iraq. And lately, we would be unidentifiable as a company that is:

Values-driven
Transparent in our business transactions with the government.
Committed to help rebuild Iraq and provide food, shelter, Internet connections and clean clothes for the soldiers
Dedicated to our financial responsibility to our clients and stakeholders

That's why we have a team of internal auditors who do daily forensic work monitoring contracts to ensure that our work is an endorsement of Halliburton's code of business conduct. Recently, we found improper payments by one or two former employees in Kuwait.

We found it quickly and we reported it immediately to the Inspector General. Halliburton repaid the government for any potential losses so the taxpayers would not pay for the mistake. That's how we have conducted our business for both Democratic and Republican administrations. We self-report, and if a problem arises, we fix it.

It's the right way, and for us, it's the only way.

Sincerely yours,

David J. Lesar
Chairman, President and
Chief Executive Officer

*Note: First, the bolding is as it is in the letter. I did not add it. Second, I'm posting this because Halliburton has take a good deal of attacks from the media and from individuals on this forum, and I believe they have the right to defend themselves.

Confed999
10 Feb 04,, 02:10
Thanks Leader, these guys allways get a bad rap. I'm not sure it's ever been proven to be deserved either.

Leader
11 Feb 04,, 02:59
Originally posted by Confed999
Thanks Leader, these guys allways get a bad rap. I'm not sure it's ever been proven to be deserved either.

It's just too bad that this company had the misfortune to have the future vice-President on their board. It has made them a target for all the radical Bush haters out there. The least I could do was key in this letter when I saw it. This company has done a lot of good things, and they don't deserve to be slandered.

Trooth
11 Feb 04,, 14:39
Is the bold emphasis yours or in the original text?

Recently, we found improper payments by one or two former employees in Kuwait.

This gives me the impression that their self reporting isn't that rigorous. Is it one or two? :)

Ray
11 Feb 04,, 19:32
I just saw BBC's Hard Talk. The contracts are sub contracted to the Iraqis at 1/6 the rate. 5/6 are weasled away by the US companies!

And Napoleon has said the Britiain is a land of shopkeepers! :roll :O

Confed999
12 Feb 04,, 00:10
Originally posted by Trooth
This gives me the impression that their self reporting isn't that rigorous. Is it one or two? :)
The investigation is yet to be complete, it's at least one.

Originally posted by Ray
The contracts are sub contracted to the Iraqis at 1/6 the rate. 5/6 are weasled away by the US companies!
Do you mean number of contracts? If so the reasons are for pre-planning purposes, and who else would get them besides other coalition countries? Or.... Do you mean pay rate? If so I would actually think 1/6 was alot more than they got paid durring SH's reign. How much does the average Iraqi get paid in comparison to an average US resident? It's really no different than contracting anything from customer support to wallpaper, if you can do the job cheeper, making the main company more money, then you get the contract.

Trooth
12 Feb 04,, 01:02
The investigation is yet to be complete, it's at least one.

So tehy don't know? Well it was only an advertisement, we have to tke it with a pinch of salt.

Leader
12 Feb 04,, 01:36
Is the bold emphasis yours or in the original text?

*Note: First, the bolding is as it is in the letter. I did not add it. Second, I'm posting this because Halliburton has taken a good deal of attacks from the media and from individuals on this forum, and I believe they have the right to defend themselves.

The point is that they found it themselves.

Trooth
12 Feb 04,, 01:48
Sorry for not spotting your comment regarding the emphasis. Oops!

Leader
12 Feb 04,, 02:29
So tehy don't know? Well it was only an advertisement, we have to tke it with a pinch of salt.

Have seen nothing to indicate that anything that they stated is false.

Confed999
12 Feb 04,, 22:32
Originally posted by Leader
Have seen nothing to indicate that anything that they stated is false.
It's an evil corporation, they have to be lying. :00

Trooth
13 Feb 04,, 00:07
I am not saying anything that they are saying is false. I am pointing out that their rigorous reporting led to the highly precise "one or two".

Also, an open letter from a corporation is an advertisement. It isn't going to be critical of themselves is it? It will have been cleared by their marketing department etc. So whilst i am not saying it is unture, it is of course calculated.

Confed999
13 Feb 04,, 01:01
I am pointing out that their rigorous reporting led to the highly precise "one or two".
So they should wait a couple of years for the investigations, law suits and etc. to be complete before they defend themselves? An open letter from a corporation is no different than an open letter from a charity or an individual, it's a chance to tell their side.

Trooth
13 Feb 04,, 01:11
No arguement from me. But it is their side they are telling. Therefore it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. The salt being that we may need to "wait a couple of years for the investigations, law suits and etc. to be complete " before we know the actual facts.

Confed999
13 Feb 04,, 01:17
ROTFL, which is why they didn't get specific. I guess, once again, I have no idea what you're talking about. You can't pick at a statement and then say you agree with it. LOL, whatever....

Trooth
13 Feb 04,, 01:40
I think you'll find my argument is consistent. That open letter is using vague words to get its side of the argument across in an unchallenged format.

Confed999
13 Feb 04,, 01:53
I think you'll find my argument is consistent.
It's consistant, but I'm still trying to decypher it's meaning. Who's side of the argument do you think the letter should represent? Who said it couldn't be challenged?

Trooth
13 Feb 04,, 01:57
I didn't say it couldn't be challenged. But the very nature of an open letter makes it difficult. Should i buy equal press space?

Confed999
13 Feb 04,, 02:18
I'm sorry, I just don't understand your problem with saying one or two. If they don't know for sure what should they have said?

Should i buy equal press space?
Save the cash. Nobody would listen to you or me except you and me anyway. ;)

Trooth
13 Feb 04,, 02:28
I'm sorry, I just don't understand your problem with saying one or two. If they don't know for sure what should they have said?

What i was trying to say was that they were extolling the virtues of their internal reporting processes, and then came out with the phrase one or two. It isn't very precise and seems to be at odds with their sentiment.

Save the cash. Nobody would listen to you or me except you and me anyway. ;)

I absolutely agree with you!

Confed999
13 Feb 04,, 02:40
What i was trying to say was that they were extolling the virtues of their internal reporting processes, and then came out with the phrase one or two. It isn't very precise and seems to be at odds with their sentiment.
I'm allways amazed at how people can look at the same thing and see something different. It's kinda cool really. I see it as simply trying to state their point without making unwarrented accusations.

I absolutely agree with you!
;)