King Alexander the Great of Macedonia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Alexander the Great of Macedonia

I want this thread to be comprised of everything about his accomplishments in his military carrer, no other man in the history of the world has conquered as much land as fast as he did in such a short amount of time.

This is all the land he conquered from South Eastern Europe all the way to South Asia in 7 years.

Not a fair comparison. His opposition was not as numerous, well organized, or as determined as later conquerors found.

Comment

There are accounts from India that Alexander didn't fared as well as his propaganda machine painted out to be. He won some battle but ran when superior forces came to bear.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
        Not a fair comparison. His opposition was not as numerous, well organized, or as determined as later conquerors found.
        What are you talking about, he defeated the Persian Empire which stood at 300,000 men while he had only 40,000.

Comment

Sorry, don't believe a word of it. While academic historians peg those numbers, those of us who had wore a uniform cannot imagine how do you support and co-ordinate a 400,000 man army using horse and wagon.

Also, take a look at the battlefields. Few could have supported those numbers.

Comment

Most likely the "400,000 soldiers" figure were the total tally of soldiers that the Greeks fought.

I strongly bet that most of them were peasants conscripted into the army as fodder. Only few of them were well trained and can be considered as soldiers or battle units. The rest, well, they were crap in fighting as a unit.

Comment

no other man in the history of the world has conquered as much land as fast as he did in such a short amount of time.
              The Mongols.
              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Would the mongols be considered a single man? Who led the mongols to conquer more territory?
                Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Here's a map of the Mongol Empire at Genghis Khan's death.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman
                    Here's a map of the Mongol Empire at Genghis Khan's death.
                    That's the land I conquered....

I also read in some history books that Alexander the Great was only 5'1".

I mean Stalin was 5'3" and Hitler was 5'4".

The french emperor(forgot his name) was also 5'3" or shorter. Actually he wasn't french he was italian but it comes as no surprise that the first great french leader wasn't french.

Comment

Napoleon wasn't Italian, he was Corsican.

And about Alexander, he only had 2 serious opponents, the Persians and the Indians.
                      After the battle on the river Rubikon and teh consequent battle at Gaugamelles (sp?) when he destroyed a Persian/Greek army of 90, 000 men with his 47, 000 he simply rolled through the rest of the Persian Empire unopposed. The reason why he successfully crushed the Indians was because their Radjas opposed one another and he gained the support of some of them and used their troops to crush the opposing Radjas.

Ghengis Khan achieved much more than Alexander.
                      He sculpted the Mongol army into the most efficient military machine in the world at that time, he did it himself while Alexander got his armies from his father Philipp II.

Comment

s_qwerty,

your statements about the Indians show your lack of understanding the history. Alexander won several skirmishes and then the one battle that proved to be so costly for Alexander that he sued for peace with the Rajputs. In exchange for leaving India unmolested, Alexander agreed to to give several of his daughters up for marriage to Rajputs princes.

At no way, was Alexander able to conquer India, yet alone threaten it seriously.

Comment

As far as I can remember from my reading, he reached the Hindus river. Look at the map in the first post and tell me, are the green areas not a part of India?

PS: Where did I say that he conquered India?

Comment

Originally posted by s_qwert63
                            As far as I can remember from my reading, he reached the Hindus river. Look at the map in the first post and tell me, are the green areas not a part of India?

PS: Where did I say that he conquered India?
                            The green areas on the map all lie on the western side of the Indus River. The green areas are almost entirely in modern day Pakistan.

Comment

Ironman where did you get tha map of the mongol conquered territory?

I got mine of Alexanders conquered territory from http://www.1stmuse.com/frames/ in case if you wanted to look at his history also.

I'm very interested in reading about ancient civilizations.

Comment

Working...
                              X