Company of Heroes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company of Heroes

Does anyone play RTS here? If so, I highly recommend this game. It's probably not to the taste of true military types who favor more realistic simulations. But I think it's great for D-day buffs or casual military types who want to take part the most famous offensive in the 20th century.

As the player, you command a company of paratroopers from the 101st. There are rifle squads, engineering squads, mortar team, machinegun team, and snipers. You fight through the campaigns fought by the Able Company in the 101st Airborne. There are occasional tank support, but mostly light infantry combat.

Take a look. If you computer has the horsepower, you will be amazed at the details in the graphics.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Meh. Another WWII game.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10 View Post
      Meh. Another WWII game.
      I second that feeling 100%.

Comment

Especially another one from the viewpoint of another American soldier in Europe. I'd like to see more stuff on the Eastern Front, from both points of view, and maybe some stuff in the Pacific. But for the love of God, no more Western Front-based games. It was novel stuff when the first Medal of Honor came out like 7 years ago. But now it's been there, done that since the 500 other virtually identical games came out since then.
        "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

How about something about Korea or WW1? What about the modern era and pre 1941? I would love a historical FPS in the late 1800s colonial era or the Civil War. Sadly it will never be done because people wont be able to just grab an machine gun and rack up 100 kills in 10 seconds so I doubt we will ever see pre WW2.

Vietnam is also getting a bit repetitive and overdone as well. Nowhere near as bad as WW2 and all the MOH/COD clones but its getting up there.

Comment

I don't think people will go for it either because who wants to shoot a one-shot-a-minute muzzleloader when you can get another video game and shoot MG42's and Miniguns? The more carnage, the more appealing.

Comment

This is not "just another WW2" game on the western front. Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Call of Duty 2, and some others have always been First Person Shooters. Then you have the turn based with little graphics like Panzer General or Allied General.

This one is different in that it's a Real Time Strategy game. You don't command individual soldiers. You don't command an entire army. You command a rifle company with some tank support if you can afford it. It all happens in real time. If you sit around you will get overwhelmed by the AI. If you attack too fast you will run out your supplies.

There are some other nice aspects of this game as well. For one, there's suppression effect from machine guns and artillery. Previous RTS games don't have to deal with the psychological effect of machine guns. I usually just march in a wave of soldiers to overwhelm the defensive emplacement. Not in this game. The machine gun will actually stop your soldiers dead in their tracks as they hit the deck and crawl around looking for cover before getting chewed up.

I really like this game. I recommend it to everyone who likes RTS.

Comment

Sounds like Starcraft, but WWII.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper View Post
                  Sounds like Starcraft, but WWII.
                  Kinda.

I can zerg in StarCraft. Overwhelm any defenses with sheer numbers alone. I can't do that in this game. Machine gun emplacements will suppress and then chew up any massed infantry advance.

This game is probably the most significant advance in RTS since StarCraft.

Comment

I will play CoH when I get new comp.I read it is excellent and in my country we have still many warez cds.So games are cheap (around 2$ piece)

I also will play Faces of War (use of capture weapons, also squad game).

P.S.BlitzKreig 1 still rulez especially for tank fanatics.Armor calculations are excellent.
                    Last edited by SRB; 12 Oct 06,, 22:31.

Comment

Originally posted by SRB View Post
                      I will play CoH when I get new comp.I read it is excellent and in my country we have still many warez cds.So games are cheap (around 2$ piece)
                      Don't say I'm a rich, heartless American. I paid $40 for my game to subsidize gamers in other parts of the world who pay only $2.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                        Don't say I'm a rich, heartless American. I paid $40 for my game to subsidize gamers in other parts of the world who pay only $2.

Comment

Scuse me for butting in, but does anybody around here play "Combat Mission" computer game (WW2)?
                          It's generally regarded as the best tactical war simulation ever produced and I can vouch for that, I'm 50+ years old and have been playing miniatures, boardgames and latterly computer games for the past 30 years.
                          Managed to pick up a silver trophy for my feats on the Combat Mission field in play-by-email battles against doods all around the world (insert "I'm ****-hot" icon here)..

Comment

Originally posted by Mick in England View Post
                            Scuse me for butting in, but does anybody around here play "Combat Mission" computer game (WW2)?
                            It's generally regarded as the best tactical war simulation ever produced and I can vouch for that, I'm 50+ years old and have been playing miniatures, boardgames and latterly computer games for the past 30 years.
                            Managed to pick up a silver trophy for my feats on the Combat Mission field in play-by-email battles against doods all around the world (insert "I'm ****-hot" icon here)..
                            I dont really like games of that style, I perfer to be able to see each individual soldier, tank, etc as in the Total War series, American Conquest/Cossacks series, or Blitzkreig ... real time strategy in 3D is my favorite. My cousin has the game and I wasent to fond of Combat Mission.

Comment

Combat Mission was a pain at first, but it grew on me once I learned how to effectively control my troops.

Comment

Working...
                              X