critics of this rifle. Although there are some critics of the
    bullpup design.

The only major complaint I have with this rifle is that in
    CQB it requires you to expose a larger part of your body
    while turning corners. But it kinda makes up for that because
    it provides better maneuverability.

This rifle performs a multi-role function, in that it
    and can be converted from your basic assault rifle, to a carbine, to a
    decent sniper platform to an all out MG with a tripod, with the use of different barrels which can be fitted quickly and easilly. Not only that, it can be easily converted into a 9mm platform. with a few adjustments.

And if that isn't enough... it looks sexy as a fox!

Steyr AUG A1 in standard rifle configuration (military green colour)

Steyr AUG with M203 40mm grenade launcher

Steyr AUG A1 Carbine (police black colour)

Steyr AUG A2 with in Carbine configuration (shorter barrel) and with Picatinny-type rail installed instead of standard telescope sight

Comparison of various AUG barrels, from top to bottom: LMG/heavy barrel with bipod; standard rifle barrel; carbine barrel; SMG barrel

Caliber: 5.56mm NATO (.223rem)
    Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt
    Overall length: 805 mm (with standard 508 mm barrel)
    Barrel length: 508 mm (also 350 mm SMG, 407 mm Carbine or 621 mm LMG heavy barrel)

Range: Light Support Weapon: 1500 feet (457.2 meters), Assault Rifle: 333 feet (400 meters), Carbine: 1200 feet (366 meters), Commando: 984 feet (300 meters), and 9 mm: 328 feet (100 meters).

Weight: 3.8 kg unloaded (with standard 508 mm barrel)
    Magazines: 30 or 42 rounds box magazines
    Rate of Fire: Approx. 700 rounds/min
    Mode of Fire: Semi Automatic / Fully automatic
    Muzzle Velocity: 3054 feet per second.
    Trigger-pull: 9 lbs.

The standard sighting equipment of the Steyr AUG rifle is the 1.5X telescope sight, with aiming reticle made as a circle. This circle is so dimensioned so its visible inner diameter is equal to the visible height of the standing man at 300 meters range.

For the marksmen there is a Special Receiver with a weaver scope rail instead of the carrying handle/scope. This way you can use your high power scope for those longer shots or better yet night vision scopes.

The AUG uses a short piston stroke, gas operated action, with the gas piston mounted inside the compact gas block, which is fixed to the barrel. The gas cylinder is offset to the right from the barrel. Gas piston has its own return spring, contained inside the gas block. The gas system features a three positions gas regulator, which allows for two open positions (for normal and fouled conditions) and one closed position (for launching the rifle grenades). The gas block also contains a barrel fix / release lock and a front grip hinge. Each barrel has eight lugs, that lock into the steel insert in the receiver, and there's four basic barrel patterns for the AUG: standard rifle barrel is 508 mm (~20 in) long. "Compact" or "Submachine gun" barrel is 350 mm (13.8 in) long, "Carbine" barrel is 407 mm (16 in) long, and the heavy / LMG (light machine gun) barrel is 621 mm (24.4 in) long. On each rifle barrels can be exchanged in the matter of seconds. Each barrel is fitted with the flash hider, and the heavy 621 mm barrel also is fitted with lightweight folding bipods. There's no bayonet lug on Austrian service rifles, but it can be installed if required.

-With 9mm Conversion Kit-

Any AUG may be conversed into SMG and back within 10 minutes by the owner. Resulted SMG is a simple blowback operated, and could be equipped with silencer.

Simplicity eh?
    This is one chick without much baggage. ;)

Conversion kit: new barrel, bolt assembly and magazine adapter

No selection lever needs to be manipulated to control semi or full-auto fire. The selection lever is integrated with the trigger. The trigger has a two stage pull that travels on a horizontal axis only, the trigger-pull weights come in at a crisp 9 pounds. The first stage is a single shot with the second stage being the full-auto. The Irish Army have an 'automatic lockout' on the trigger of their version of the A.U.G. The rifle will fire single shots unless the lockout is disengaged. The see-thru magazine allows for a quick ammo check. There is a cleaning kit in the stock of each AUG, just below the trigger pack.

Cool post, thanks.

NINE POUND TRIGGER PULL? Makes those long shots tricky, doesn't it?
    sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

What's the trigger pull on the M-82?
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I have never fired a bull-pup type rifle, do they feel any different from a standard rifle when fired? (ie more kick/less kick avg)
        Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

What exactly IS a bull-pup?
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

The chamber and associated mechanical parts, including magazine, are located behind the trigger and grip.
            Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

Cool. What is it with naming military things afetr dogs, though? Bull-pup, Dog tooth wing, etc...

Comment

The trigger pull for the M82 is 6.5lbs I think.
                But the M82 is a pure sniper platform.
                The Styer Aug, although capable of long range
                shots with its LSW and assault barrels, still needs
                a trigger weight that can also compensate for CQB etc.
                where you dont want to have a light trigger.

Comment

True. :)Clp

Comment

"What's the trigger pull on the M-82?"

Armorer adjustable between 2.0 and 4.0 lbs(XM-82).

Comment

I nearly got to shoot a steyer before someone noticed it hadn't been adjusted for my left-handed rifle tendencies...
                      The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

So instead of adjusting and letting you play, they took it away?

Comment

Not a big issue, people became aware that I was staring with some concern down the ejection port, so they just pulled the plug from the left side of the stalk and used it to cover the right side, thus averting "case-ejection discomfort."
                          The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

Cool.

Comment

Hi guys!

I´m new here, but I know the AUG quite good, because I used it in the Austrian Army!

It`s a really nice gun and (dis-)assambling the whole rifle takes about 2 minutes (for the normal soldier - i quess there are some freaks out there who can do it faster :) )

We used the 5.56 and there is like no kick and the best is the double used trigger:
                              Single Shot - just pull to a resistance
                              Auto fire - overbear the resistance and...

Even the dumbest guy can operate that gun (in it's 2 modes) without having to think of switching between autofire or single shot and also the assembling stuff can be learned by everyone within very short time and also without looking at it!

For me it's one of the easiest to use, simple built and most accurate assaultrifle in the world!

Ok, while beign at the army i hated it, because i had to clean it every day... :( and that for 8 months....

greets from Austria

TopManager

Comment

Working...
                              X