PDA

View Full Version : Almost makes you wanna stick around..

AmericanMarine
29 Jan 04,, 03:40
http://www.murphysphotos.com/files/soldier.jpg

nyjrebel
29 Jan 04,, 04:39
I must say, that looks impressive. Scary as hell, but impressive none the less.

Bill
29 Jan 04,, 09:47
Hmmmmm...........his firearm looks a wee bit on the small side to me.

Methinx i'd stick with an M-21.

Lunatock
29 Jan 04,, 14:47
Gotta love the hydraulic system. How far could to launch an enemy with your forearm during hand-to-hand?

Bill
29 Jan 04,, 16:38
Read the little bit about the 'weapons', and tell me the obvious problems there.

4.7mm?

Jesus christ that's small.

Lunatock
29 Jan 04,, 16:49
Originally posted by M21Sniper
Read the little bit about the 'weapons', and tell me the obvious problems there.

4.7mm?

Jesus christ that's small.

4.6mm :P

Just think of it as a last chance gun? Better to have than a Derringer.

AmericanMarine
30 Jan 04,, 03:09
Heat-Seeking rockets are fine with me *shrug*. As well as the ability to fire four rounds at one time. And a suit that can withstand fire at point-blank... No more worries. Aside from overhead bombs, RPG's, etc. of course.

Officer of Engineers
30 Jan 04,, 05:51
All I can say is

"You've forgotten about my minefields."

Stinger
30 Jan 04,, 18:43
I hate minefields

AmericanMarine
30 Jan 04,, 20:37
When I dig up the article, I'll post about some future rifles being thought of (what they will be designed for). Won't be stuck with the little pistol.

ChrisF202
30 Jan 04,, 23:00
Im sorry to burst your bubble, but this design is never going to get past the testing stages in our lifetimes, its like the OCIW, everybody likes it and then it performs like crap on the testing range.

Bill
31 Jan 04,, 01:12
OCIW was a good idea...it's just not ready for prime time yet. Same for land warrior.

All grunts need is a personal radio, FLIR, and a GPS to go with the new interceptor body armor.

Anything beyond that starts to become more of a burden than it's worth, and will probably not work when you want it to anyway.

Believe me, an Infantryman's combat load is quite heavy enough already!

Heatseeking rockets....please.

Now they're going to issue 3k dollar a shot weapons to every guy in the squad?

Don't hold your breath.

They should be spending all that money on making a laser rifle that will work by 2040 instead. That would be cool....everyman's a sniper regardless of skill. :)

eMGee
31 Jan 04,, 14:02
That looks pretty cool. I love the motorcycle outfit look!

Heh, yes, I love motorcycles. (Preferably Ducati's!)

AmericanMarine
31 Jan 04,, 14:08
Hell, I'll be willing to stick with my damn M-16 just to get some armor like that... :lol

Believe me, an Infantryman's combat load is quite heavy enough already
So, so true...

They should be spending all that money on making a laser rifle that will work by 2040 instead. That would be cool....everyman's a sniper regardless of skill.
Amen.

Now they're going to issue 3k dollar a shot weapons to every guy in the squad?
That's a good question. There was an article explaining all this (Note: I'm not saying this will happen for sure. Probably a dream...) of these questions, but I just can't get my hands on it...

ChrisF202
01 Feb 04,, 16:00
Guys, this is the same Pentagon that spent $30,000 for a golden toilet seat :)

Praxus
01 Feb 04,, 16:27
Why don't they just give the guy a Rifle with an IR illuminater so he could see what he is aiming at without actually looking through the sites(he would use the helmet site with IR). It could have a laser range finder right next to the illuminater that tells the computer the range and then the computer can tell the illumater to adjust for range. Maybe they could also install something that can read the marage to estimate windage. So you just aim at the target using the illuminater and you can hit the target with ease. Then the IR could have an adjustment so you can zoom in and use this at far range.

They could use both light amplification and IR at the same time, that way you get the distance of IR and the detail of light amplification.

ÜBER-SOLDAT!

Bill
02 Feb 04,, 10:54
An IR illuminator gives away your postion to anyone with NVGs.

It doesnt just give away your position, it lights you up through NVGs as if you're standing there with a fucking flood light. That's because to NVGs IR is visible light, and it shows up VERY bright.

Same for IR(invisible) lasers. They are totally visible with NVGs. Sometimes that's an aid; like if you have an IR laser sight and the badguys have no NVGs...that's wickedly evil cheating- and very effective. When they also have NVGs though, you might as well be holding a "SHOOT ME" neon sign, lol.

Very bad idea bro.

FLIR could be used(becuase thermal is a passive sight), but it is still very expensive, fairly bulky, battery power intensive, and to be honest, probably still pretty fragile.

To me, the ideal infantry weapon would be the M-25 rifle with any of a variety of electronic red dot sights or magnifying optics, depending on the role of the individual soldier or mission at hand. I'm sure the M-203 could be quite readily adapted to the M-25 as well.

eMGee
02 Feb 04,, 12:48
I've made a mockup of a modernized M-14 type rifle. Already quite a while ago now, never showed it to anyone. Just for fun, I called it the XM-146 :)

http://gtasector.gorzek.com/images/mg_M-146.jpg

http://gtasector.gorzek.com/images/mg_M-146-M203_M4A1-M203_compare.jpg

Lunatock
02 Feb 04,, 15:44
Originally posted by eMGee
I've made a mockup of a modernized M-14 type rifle. Already quite a while ago now, never showed it to anyone. Just for fun, I called it the XM-146 :)

http://gtasector.gorzek.com/images/mg_M-146.jpg

http://gtasector.gorzek.com/images/mg_M-146-M203_M4A1-M203_compare.jpg

Looks like Israel's modified CAR-15 w/ an M203 Grenade Launcher attached.

AmericanMarine
02 Feb 04,, 21:00
All she needs is a laser scope $$

Bill
02 Feb 04,, 22:36
Looks like an M-4A1 with a M-203 to me. Exactly like one. ;)

Nice M-14 mockup, looks like a 16 on steroids, lol.

I think i'd stick with a regular fiberglass M-14 stock though. ;)

M-25...

eMGee
02 Feb 04,, 22:38
Thanks!

By the way, I put that M4A1 (?) with M203 in the image as a comparison. :LOL