PDA

View Full Version : Girl gang-raped for ‘acquiring education’

Hari_Om
17 Sep 06,, 11:04
Girl gang-raped for ‘acquiring education’

MULTAN: The Kabirwala police have failed to arrest the accused of a gang-rape case who are said to be the henchmen of a minister of state.

According to details, Ghazala Shaheen Bathi of a low caste came to her village Chak Sher Khan near Kabirwala to inform her parents that she had passed her Master’s in Education from the Bahauddin Zakariya University on August 25.

The news of her success spread in the village in no time, which instigated the minister’s people and the tribal elders of the upper caste Miralis –- an offshoot of the Hiraj clan.

On the same night, 12 Mirali tribesmen, including five to six armed men of the minister, forced their way into her house and severely beat up her father Muhammad Hussain, a retired militaryman, with boots, iron rods and the butts of guns. Some of the accused were dressed in police uniform.

They allegedly kidnapped Ghazala and her mother Mumtaz Mai and dragged them for about one kilometre while thrashing them all the time.

Both of them were kept in the private custody of the abductors and gang-raped for 12 days. On September 5, locals informed the police about the kidnappers’ hideout where the girl and her mother were being detained.

Sources said Kabirwala DSP Daud Hussain raided the place and allegedly provided a chance to the alleged kidnappers to escape with the abductees.

However, the people caught one car, which was carrying the women and her mother and overpowered three of the accused — one was identified Nazar Muhammad while the other two were allegedly the minister’s guards.

When they all were taken to the Kabirwala police station, the police did not allow Mumtaz Mai and her daughter to meet with their relatives.

The DSP arranged a press conference in which he stated that the case was an outcome of old enmity and nothing had happened to the girl and her mother. The Kabirwala hospital medical report has confirmed that both the victims were gang-raped.

However, police have released a guard and another person who were arrested during the raid.

Other accused, particularly Muhammad Nawaz, who is said to be the right-hand man of the minister, Nazar Muhammad, Abbas, Azhar, Wajid and Ghazanfar, Muhammad Ali and others are still at large.

When contacted, Kabirwala Sadar SHO Mehboob Rabbani denied the minister’s involvement in the case and said there was no pressure on them in apprehending the accused. He said neither the minister was backing the accused nor the accused were his henchmen. “We are trying to nab the other accused.”

Police officials told human rights activists during their visit to the victims that it was a result of an old enmity, while the girl and her mother had run away from their house on their own.

The victim family told newsmen that they were receiving threats from the influential landlords and politicians.

LINK (http://www.thenews.com.pk/print1.asp?id=24287)

lemontree
18 Sep 06,, 05:43
Has'nt good Musharraf said that these are tactics used by their women to get US/ european visas? :rolleyes:

Ray
18 Sep 06,, 06:02
Most unfortunate.

Musharraf should apply himself to all this more seriously.

I cOmE iN PEaCE
18 Sep 06,, 08:11
disgraceful

Feline
18 Sep 06,, 08:28
Gen Musharaf govt had taken a strong stance against such incidents and we had seen the criminlas have been hanged for such crimes in recent past and hopefully this time too it would be taken to task.
Else such cases are also common in India.
The situation is not different there either.

THL
18 Sep 06,, 08:37
as if I needed another reason to be grateful that I reside where I do:frown:

Akshay
18 Sep 06,, 08:51
Gen Musharaf govt had taken a strong stance against such incidents and we had seen the criminlas have been hanged for such crimes in recent past and hopefully this time too it would be taken to task.

In India, I have yet to come across anybody being gang-raped for desire to acquire education. If you can enlighten me? please do

Feline
18 Sep 06,, 09:04
In India, I have yet to come across anybody being gang-raped for desire to acquire education. If you can enlighten me? please do

Rape is a Rape no matter for what reason.
We are talking about rape and the problem is the same in India,
Reason is not the problem rape is the problem. For lust for revange or for any other reason the crime should be eliminated.

And i think if you are honest you will agree the issue is as grave in india as in pakistan.

lemontree
18 Sep 06,, 09:12
So what's been done about the army officer who raped the lady doctor in Sui?...If memory serves me correctly, Musharraf gave that officer a clean chit without any investigation being conducted. Musharraf must have a remarkable 6th sense!:rolleyes:

Hari_Om
18 Sep 06,, 09:20
Musharraf should apply himself to all this more seriously.

General President Musharraf certainly should, particularly as there is a call out by Asian Human Rights Commission to petition for an :

inquiry into the alleged role of the Minister of State for Law, Parliamentary Affairs and Human Rights for his involvement in this abduction and rape

The inquiry call is not about the Minster of States lack of efficiency in handling the matter but something all together more sinister and unbecoming of a Minister who oversees “Law” and “Human Rights”.

Link for the above quote and a lot more details on the case, is available here :

Mother and daughter allegedly gang raped by the police and government henchmen (http://www.ahrchk.net/ua/mainfile.php/2006/1969/)

There is one thing that left me confused after reading the above.

The raped women are described as “lower caste women are from the Batti community” while the rapists are described as “upper caste Mirali”.

I thought that pernicious practice of casteism does not exist among the Muslims of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. So what is this “lower caste” and “upper caste” business ?

Feline
18 Sep 06,, 09:28
The raped women are described as “lower caste women are from the Batti community” while the rapists are described as “upper caste Mirali”.

I thought that pernicious practice of casteism does not exist among the Muslims of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. So what is this “lower caste” and “upper caste” business ?

There is no cast system in Islam.
The incident took place in Punjab and in Punjab mostly there are converts from Hinduism.
And the casts you are talking about have come from Hindus and Hinudims not Islam.
There is no such thing in Islam.

In Islam all are equals and there is no difference.

brak
18 Sep 06,, 09:30
Apparently Mr. Mir Shakil-ur-Rahman seems to think otherwise............

Samudra
18 Sep 06,, 09:57

You know, sometimes these people just amaze me so much that I pinch myself to see if such claims were me in wonderlands or in reality!

If there really was a God that these people worship he would have sent them a plague!

Ray
18 Sep 06,, 10:22

In India girls are killed because they wanted to be educated?

Chum, you are quite unusual and rather oraclish in your opinion.

You are on Planet Earth I presume.

Taken Afghanistan's best? ;)

Ray
18 Sep 06,, 10:28
The incident took place in Punjab and in Punjab mostly there are converts from Hinduism.
And the casts you are talking about have come from Hindus and Hinudims not Islam.

Of course, Moslems of the subcontinent are converts. Where is the doubt?

It does not matter if every convert claims to be Syeds.

Now are the converts to Islam not Moslems?

So, why blame Hinduism for what Islam has failed to change and I presume Islam is a powerful religion and what is more, on another forum it was claimed it was the Truth!
(Note: The wordings including caste was used in a Pakistan newspaper. And it is of an Islamic girl and rape by Islamic people. Therefore, Islamic people are practising caste!)

So the truth is that Islam cannot change the mindset, notwithstanding all subcontinental Moslems claiming to be thoroughbred Arabs and Syeds, when in actuality they are converts!

Secondly, you are back to living in denial, which is your forte, and so, you blame the failures of Islam on another religion!
Logic at its best! ;)

Rape is Rape. I agree in so far as the act is concerned. But I am afraid, the motivational factor is not the same.

Rape for desiring to be educated is hardly a human motivation. It is an indicator of the antediluvian mindset in Islam, which is so cloistered that it cannot breathe the air of emancipation!

In India, sex lust may contribute to rape, but notfor assinine reasons like prevention of education!

Ma, you really take the cake.

Could you exercise some logic which I am sure would not be too much of an effort, or would it?

Hari_Om
18 Sep 06,, 12:15
Your eloquence has stilled my need to respond to that particular post.

Hari_Om
18 Sep 06,, 12:16
disgraceful

Are you referring to the actions of the rapists or are you referring to the conduct of the raped, who under Pakistani Law, may be deemed as indulging in adulterous behaviour ?

Hari_Om
18 Sep 06,, 12:19

Not so in Pakistan.

In Pakistan rape can be adultery.

A distinction I will add that is laughably ludicrous except that is fraught with great peril for the raped individual particularly because it is backed by the full force of the Law and carries punishment that includes the death penalty.

And i think if you are honest you will agree the issue is as grave in india as in pakistan.

Unmindful of your thinking that I am dishonest let me say I think not.

The Indian judiciary has yet to degenerate to a level where a raped individual is punished for being raped. When that happens, equivalency will be reached.

Anyway what is with this defeatist talk on your part in admitting that Pakistan is the moral equivalent of India ?

Until India renames itself The Republic of Shuddhastan surely that is a step down for Pakistan, and maybe even then a step down.

Before I forget Shudda means “Pure” in Sanskrit ;) .

Neo
18 Sep 06,, 15:07
disgraceful

Disdraceful and disgusting! :frown:

Akshay
18 Sep 06,, 16:12
We are talking about rape and the problem is the same in India,
Reason is not the problem rape is the problem. For lust for revange or for any other reason the crime should be eliminated.

Yes!! it matters and ofcourse I am going to be very honest with you when I say this. A rape is disgraceful anywhere but raping someone for her desire to study is totally different from any other rape. In the former case, rape is done due to the predatory instincts of the rapist which can happen anywhere in the world. Here the reason is to satisfy the sadistic sexual instinct or for the sake of revenge by the rapist. It doesn't sends any message while the latter case shows the skewed up nature of the society which is pregnant with a clear message that 'Women do not have even the free will to acquire education'. Here the rape is used as a force to deprive women of their basic right which in no way conjugates against the interest of the men.

So, please don't say that it is the same as in India. Rapes do happen in India just like anywhere else in the world but, Rape is not used as a tool to prevent social changes or depriving woman from acquiring education.

Tronic
18 Sep 06,, 16:19
as if I needed another reason to be grateful that I reside where I do:frown:
there is no rape in America???

I cOmE iN PEaCE
18 Sep 06,, 17:54
we should worry about us not them.

I cOmE iN PEaCE
18 Sep 06,, 17:57
Are you referring to the actions of the rapists or are you referring to the conduct of the raped, who under Pakistani Law, may be deemed as indulging in adulterous behaviour ?
this question is also disgraceful

starsiege
19 Sep 06,, 04:30
:biggrin:
You know, sometimes these people just amaze me so much that I pinch myself to see if such claims were me in wonderlands or in reality!

If there really was a God that these people worship he would have sent them a plague!

hahaha!!!:biggrin:

starsiege
19 Sep 06,, 04:31
Of course, Moslems of the subcontinent are converts. Where is the doubt?

It does not matter if every convert claims to be Syeds.

Now are the converts to Islam not Moslems?

So, why blame Hinduism for what Islam has failed to change and I presume Islam is a powerful religion and what is more, on another forum it was claimed it was the Truth!
(Note: The wordings including caste was used in a Pakistan newspaper. And it is of an Islamic girl and rape by Islamic people. Therefore, Islamic people are practising caste!)

So the truth is that Islam cannot change the mindset, notwithstanding all subcontinental Moslems claiming to be thoroughbred Arabs and Syeds, when in actuality they are converts!

Secondly, you are back to living in denial, which is your forte, and so, you blame the failures of Islam on another religion!
Logic at its best! ;)

Rape is Rape. I agree in so far as the act is concerned. But I am afraid, the motivational factor is not the same.

Rape for desiring to be educated is hardly a human motivation. It is an indicator of the antediluvian mindset in Islam, which is so cloistered that it cannot breathe the air of emancipation!

In India, sex lust may contribute to rape, but notfor assinine reasons like prevention of education!

Ma, you really take the cake.

Could you exercise some logic which I am sure would not be too much of an effort, or would it?

Well said !!!!

Archer
19 Sep 06,, 05:23

Ha ha ha ha ha ha....I just died laughing!!

What a crock of bull!

Pakistan has the caste system flourishing, with more "Islamic castes" added...all sorts of Syeds, and Mirzas and this and that.. with BS like- I was related to the Prophet on his mothers aunts side so I am a Syed...my peachy skin comes from my Iranian ancestors in 8th century Ashfahar, so you see I am a Mirza...I am an Aryan, see me- short, and fat but I say I am Aryan, off with your head if you disagree!!

And unlike in India, where positive affirmation is bringing up everyone into one big composite whole, Pakistanis stick to their caste affiliation so bloody proudly its a joke!

The worst insult amongst Pakistanis..."you, you low caste bhangee (sweeper)"..'

In India, a) that could land you in jail (hate speech)...and b) most urban Indians would be like, huh- what kind of 2nd grade kiddie insult is that?

But call anyone that on PDF, and see the reaction- they will soil themselves pointing out how pure their bloodline is, lol! "My great grandma was in Muhammad Bin Qasims camp, I am Arab!"...why "you, you low caste bhangee!"
But never mind! Islam is pure, Islam is good, everythings fine in Pakistan!

Feline
19 Sep 06,, 07:10
Ha ha ha ha ha ha....I just died laughing!!
What a crock of bull!

Take something for your BP ;)

Pakistan has the caste system flourishing, with more "Islamic castes"
added...all sorts of Syeds, and Mirzas and this and that..

These are not casts system of Islam.
These have been derived by people to identify the families they belong to.

In India, a) that could land you in jail (hate speech)...and b) most urban Indians would be like, huh- what kind of 2nd grade kiddie insult is that?

That could land you in jail but burning of Christians, abuses of Low cast Hinuds (Dalits and Shudars ) will not even stire condemnation :tongue: :tongue:

Archer
19 Sep 06,, 08:15
Take something for your BP ;)

LOLOLOL, what a joke! You should be on TV! :biggrin:

Yes, yes Islam is never at fault! Only people are!

That could land you in jail but burning of Christians,

Dont you have something better to do like your fellow Pakistanis? Go yell at the pope or something. :tongue:
For all that Christian abuse you did, the US is now whupping your butt.

abuses of Low cast Hinuds (Dalits and Shudars ) will not even stire condemnation :tongue: :tongue:

Actually we abuse " Low cast Hinuds (Dalits and Shudars )" converts ie Pakistanis only at wartime. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Feline
19 Sep 06,, 08:47
LOLOLOL, what a joke! You should be on TV! :biggrin: :

Well i tried but they said the biggest joker should also be with you :tongue: and asked me to contact you

Dont you have something better to do like your fellow Pakistanis? Go yell at the pope or something. :tongue:
For all that Christian abuse you did, the US is now whupping your butt.:

Check your media the Indians also are part of that protest. Just look at Yesterday's news :) .

Actually we abuse " Low cast Hinuds (Dalits and Shudars )" converts ie Pakistanis only at wartime. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Anything could be expected from Hindus, Just look at the news where Hindu priest rapped girls in the name of Hinduism .

SLASH
19 Sep 06,, 12:04
Anything could be expected from Hindus, Just look at the news where Hindu priest rapped girls in the name of Hinduism .

LMAO.Thats coming from a Muslim.... isn't raping part of your day to day life. Wasn't prophet a paedophile himself :rolleyes: .

TopHatter
19 Sep 06,, 13:25
LMAO.Thats coming from a Muslim.... isn't raping part of your day to day life. Wasn't prophet a paedophile himself :rolleyes: .

People
Enough of the "Mohammed Was A Pedophile" stuff.
I frankly don't care if it's a historical fact. You are using it solely to anger Muslim members. This is called flamebait and it's against the rules.

joey2
19 Sep 06,, 13:36

You are not completely wrong.There are several dark beliefs in remote villages including rapes and antisocial stuffs in the NAME of religion, BUT MIND YOU that is NOT HINDUISM.Its a propaganda on the poor ,illeterate to bestow power of the powerful. Its NOT hinduism unlike Islam.True hinduism never preaches anything that is bad its one of worlds most scientific religion, not even religion its a way of living your life.do u need examples?.

and peoples who practices such stuffs are known as fakes and stuffs and they are arrested if caught!.

SLASH
19 Sep 06,, 14:21
People
Enough of the "Mohammed Was A Pedophile" stuff.
I frankly don't care if it's a historical fact. You are using it solely to anger Muslim members. This is called flamebait and it's against the rules.

He asked for it :mad: .

TopHatter
19 Sep 06,, 14:37
He asked for it :mad: .

Feline has been dealt with. If he (she?) continues posting like-subject matter, then this will be a Feline-free board very quickly.

Samudra
19 Sep 06,, 15:01

You are probably correct.

There are plenty more more important and relevant bad things about the religion that need to be acknowledged and addressed urgently. I hope they do that pretty soon.

One particular disadvantage of hurling such facts or abuses - whatever way one sees it, is that it directly puts them on the path of confrontation with 'us'.Quite a few of 'us' would rather wait until we tried a few more times to avoid extreme polarisation of opinions.

Not that one is confident about the outcome, but not to attempt it would be a bigger mistake than failing.

I cOmE iN PEaCE
19 Sep 06,, 16:06
You are probably correct.

There are plenty more more important and relevant bad things about the religion that need to be acknowledged and addressed urgently. I hope they do that pretty soon.

One particular disadvantage of hurling such facts or abuses - whatever way one sees it, is that it directly puts them on the path of confrontation with 'us'.Quite a few of 'us' would rather wait until we tried a few more times to avoid extreme polarisation of opinions.

Not that one is confident about the outcome, but not to attempt it would be a bigger mistake than failing.
you can always ask properly and discuss things that seem bad about my religion.if u just label it is bad and now i have to find new new ways to make fun then that makes u more bad than anything u might come up with about my religion.

leib10
19 Sep 06,, 16:29
Huh?

Tronic
19 Sep 06,, 16:34
you can always ask properly and discuss things that seem bad about my religion.
lol... not really.... When someone tries that, Churches go on fire and Nuns get murdered...

Samudra
19 Sep 06,, 16:38
Huh?

Nothing unexpected.:cool:

Hari_Om
19 Sep 06,, 16:51

this question is also disgraceful

It is good to hear that you found my question to be disgraceful. At times that tells a lot about where an individual is coming from.

I wish you every success in your struggle to see that the supposedly Islamic Hudood laws in Pakistan are junked in the dustbin of history.

It truly is obscene that by citing Islam the legislators of Pakistan are getting away with articulating a view that Pakistani women are not entitled to the basic human right of not being held responsible for being raped.

TopHatter
19 Sep 06,, 17:00
Huh?

Yeah really. :confused:

Ray
19 Sep 06,, 17:04
[QUOTE=Feline;267844]

Jana,

What is caste?

Flaunting superiority.

What is all this Syeds or Mirza or plain punks?

Flaunting superiority!

A whole lot of bilge water!

That could land you in jail but burning of Christians, abuses of Low cast Hinuds (Dalits and Shudars ) will not even stire condemnation :tongue: :tongue:

Be a good girl and check what Pakistan is doing to the Christians and the Hindu shudras if you wish to call them so. There is a huge thread on the same in this Board. Read that.

Want me to produce all that?

Just Google old girl.

The Christians in Pakistan also petitioned the UN, remember?

SLASH
19 Sep 06,, 18:09
^^^You can also add the way Shi'tte muslims and Mojahirs are treated :rolleyes: .You can't expect anything better from a country which calls itself "land of the pure" :rolleyes: . I mean what signals are they sending to other communites.One of my Iranian friend told that Pakistani do all this just to impress the Arabs:eek: . Every portion of Pakistan is divided.I admit India has its own problems but atleast the government is trying to do something to abolish caste system.

Lunatock
19 Sep 06,, 20:00

Is my throne lacking a little blood?

SLASH
19 Sep 06,, 20:08
Is my throne lacking a little blood?

Yeah yeah . I got a little carried away.But he/she started it.Anyways I shudn't have dropped to his/her level.
How abt a group hug. :biggrin:

http://www.srcf.ucam.org/cuhc/gal_michaelmas_2004/group_hug.jpg

or not lol.:) :)

Tronic
20 Sep 06,, 03:05
omfg... someone shoot me right now!!! :eek:

Ray
20 Sep 06,, 15:40
Yeah yeah . I got a little carried away.But he/she started it.Anyways I shudn't have dropped to his/her level.
How abt a group hug. :biggrin:

http://www.srcf.ucam.org/cuhc/gal_michaelmas_2004/group_hug.jpg
or not lol.:) :)

Which one is Lunatock and which one is you?

I thought this type is male kissing is an Arab custom!

Lunatock
20 Sep 06,, 19:50
I'm the one drinking a can of croc piss aka Fosters. :rolleyes:

Ray
20 Sep 06,, 20:17
The one who is getting kissed?

I like that Croc piss!

Great one to use at the bar! :applaud: :)

SLASH
20 Sep 06,, 20:21
I'm the photographer :tongue: .

Dreadnought
20 Sep 06,, 20:22
Feline has been dealt with. If he (she?) continues posting like-subject matter, then this will be a Feline-free board very quickly.

Dammit then you will just have to find us a few more Felines....:biggrin:

Dreadnought
20 Sep 06,, 20:26
The one who is getting kissed?

I like that Croc piss!

Great one to use at the bar! :applaud: :)

Hey I like that crock piss as well...lmao about 4 "oilcans" (big Fosters cans)and your good to go.;) In the pic is 16 oz. The "oilcans" are twice that capacity:cool:

Ray
20 Sep 06,, 20:29
For an Indian guzzler, even an oil can will be less.

How much is it in millilitres?

750ml is a beer bottle in India.

Akshay
20 Sep 06,, 20:40
usually 440 ml,

For ones with huge Beer belly 568ml.

Ray
20 Sep 06,, 20:52
usually 440 ml,

For ones with huge Beer belly 568ml.

Not good enough for the average Indian boozer.

Akshay
20 Sep 06,, 21:20
Not good enough for the average Indian boozer.

Not good enough for anybody, Sir. Heat doesn't dips in until the 4th can.

Samudra
20 Sep 06,, 21:23
Some Aussie cricketer finished ~20 cans in a flight.
Boon?

joey2
20 Sep 06,, 21:43
damn .. you guys just tempted me to pop a small bottle. :biggrin: *opens the refrigerator*

Ray
20 Sep 06,, 22:24
Good for you.

Cheers. :)

Tronic
21 Sep 06,, 01:29
I envy you people.... I gotta get out of boarding... :frown:

Feline
21 Sep 06,, 06:46
I envy you people.... I gotta get out of boarding... :frown:

LoL :tongue:

you want to join the line of oldies

Akshay
21 Sep 06,, 07:03

Awww C'mon now,

Drinking beer isn't just the job of oldies.

SLASH
21 Sep 06,, 08:53
My first introduction to beer came from my father at the age of 16. Legal age decided by the government is 21 .:tongue:

Feline
21 Sep 06,, 11:51
My first introduction to beer came from my father at the age of 16. Legal age decided by the government is 21 .:tongue:

Lol man you must be an expert then
What are you doing in boarding :tongue:

Tronic
21 Sep 06,, 12:31

nah... forget beer, when we're off on holidays, we chug down bottles of whiskey... :biggrin:

Ray
26 Sep 06,, 20:15
uesday, September 26, 2006 E-Mail this article to a friend Printer Friendly Version

LHC orders Hudood case against girl

Staff Report

LAHORE: Justice Khawaja Muhammad Sharif of the Lahore High Court on Monday ordered Hudood proceedings against Mehvish of Faisalabad, who admitted to have been living with her lover Mustafeez-ur-Rehman without marrying him.

Mustafeez had applied for bail in the abduction case, which the court rejected and police arrested him the moment he stepped out of the court.

After his arrest Mehvish entered the courtroom and requested the judge to record her statement. The judge accepted her request and she admitted to have been living with Mustafeez. She also denied recording a statement with the police in which she had allegedly accused Mustafeez of abducting her. She said she had not recorded any statement with the investigation officer and everything had been manipulated to initiate proceedings against her lover.

Mehvish’s mother had lodged a case against Mustafeez for kidnapping her daughter to rape her.

Earlier, the applicant’s counsel sought an application in which he denied the abduction allegation. He also said Mehvish’s mother got divorced and married police officer Rana Asghar, who might have influenced the investigation.

He sought bail and protection for Mehvish.

LHC admin promotes 15 judges: The administration committee of the Lahore High Court (LHC) headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Hussain Chaudhry has promoted 15 judges and dismissed or started disciplinary proceedings against several others.

Khalid Mahmood, district and sessions judge (D&SJ)/special judge, anti-terrorism court, Faisalabad; Arshad Javed Mir, D&SJ/joint secretary, law, justice and human rights division, Islamabad; Muhammad Khalid Shabbir, D&SJ; Chaudhry Muhammad Din Basra, D&SJ; Qamar Ijaz, AD&SJ, Sahiwal; Khalid Mehmood Ranjha, AD&SJ, Mianwali; Muhammad Afzal Shad, AD&SJ, Mianwali; Muhammad Afzal Zahid, AD&SJ, Haroonabad; Abdul Majeed Chaudhry, AD&SJ, Mandi Bahauddin; Ejaz Ahmad Buttar, AD&SJ, Hafizabad; Mehmoodul Hassan, AD&SJ, Chiniot; Bashir Ahmad Chaudhry, senior civil judge, Muzaffargarh; Ghulam Rasool, senior civil judge, Sialkot; Muhammad Iqbal Goraya, civil judge, Pakpattan; and Syed Ali Abbas, civil judge, have been promoted.
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2006\09\26\story_26-9-2006_pg7_42

Hari_Om
27 Sep 06,, 06:54
The Times of London is pushing the caste factor :eek: of the rape hard.

Interesting stuff as there is supposedly no concept of caste in Pakistan ;) :

The Sunday Times September 24, 2006

Pakistani graduate raped to punish her low-caste family (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-2372124,00.html)

Dean Nelson, Delhi, and Ghulam Hasnain, Karachi

A YOUNG Pakistani woman has been kidnapped, raped and beaten by a gang of high-caste villagers because her uncle eloped with one of their relatives. She was chosen for punishment because she had recently gained a degree and was the pride of her low-caste family.
Ghazala Shaheen, 24, and her mother Mumtaz were abducted last month by men dressed in police uniforms from their home near Multan in southern Punjab.

Her shocking ordeal mirrors that of Mukhtaran Mai, 29, who became a symbol in the campaign for women’s rights in Pakistan after she was gang-raped because her 12-year-old brother had been seen with a higher-caste woman. Six men were found guilty but five later had their convictions overturned.

That case provoked an international outcry and led to moves to reform Pakistan’s Islamic rape and adultery laws which effectively criminalise rape victims.

Last week human rights campaigners said Shaheen was unlikely to see her attackers brought to justice because President Pervez Musharraf had failed in an attempt to repeal the Hudood Ordinance, which requires four male Muslim witnesses to support a rape charge. If the accused is acquitted, the victim becomes liable to prosecution for adultery.

While Musharraf was out of the country earlier this month, a committee of hardline Islamic scholars neutered his bill to protect women’s rights which would have repealed the Hudood Ordinance. The scholars claimed the bill was un-Islamic because it “encouraged adultery”.

Shaheen’s ordeal began last month when 11 armed men, believed to be security guards employed by one of Musharraf’s ministers, forced their way into her home, attacked her father and brothers and pulled her and her mother into the street.

“They said we were wanted by the police and dragged me and my mother outside. My shirt was torn off in the struggle,” she said last week.

“Outside, I saw about six or seven motorcycles. They put me on one and my mother on another. We were crying and shouting. They threatened to kill us if we kept shouting. They gagged our mouths with sheets. At one point my mother started resisting and she was beaten with guns.”

They were moved between isolated desert houses at first. As night fell on the third day, Shaheen’s mother was taken to another location and she was left alone with one of the gang members.

“This man sat next to me. A moment later he was on to me. He hit me with his gun on my back and on my body and raped me. I was crying and weeping. But he did not listen, and he repeated it,” she said.

“In the morning, I was told to stand up and accompany this man. I was in pain. I could barely walk. Finally we reached a big house with Nazar Mirani (the gang leader) sitting outside. The man who had raped me told Nazar that he had done what he wanted with me and now it was his turn. They took me to a nearby cotton field and Nazar Mirani raped me.”

Shaheen said she knew Mirani’s name because he had filed a case against her uncle, accusing him of eloping with his wife. Mirani had previously threatened and harassed her father, a former soldier who runs a shop from their mud and brick home.

Mirani later told Shaheen he was taking her to Lahore to marry her so that she could not give evidence against him or his men. As the women were being driven from the house, they were stopped at a police roadblock and freed by officers Shaheen’s father had alerted.

According to her relatives, she had been selected as a kidnap target to maximise her family’s humiliation. She had been been the first in her family to gain a degree. This earned her a job as a local schoolteacher, but the offer was withdrawn after officials said they did not want to be associated with someone who had been raped.

Shaheen said she was determined to bring her kidnappers and rapists to justice. “My mission is to get all of them arrested and hanged, so they cannot do this to any other woman,” she said.

The prospects of a successful prosecution appear slim. Only Mirani has been arrested on kidnapping charges, and without the four essential witnesses a rape conviction is unlikely.

Rashid Rehman of Pakistan’s Human Rights Commission said that while hospital tests confirmed Shaheen had been raped, the examination was conducted too late to identify the rapists.

“Ghazala Shaheen has no chance of getting justice. The evidence has been destroyed. Doctors confirm she has been raped but she can’t prove that she has been raped by the suspects,” he said. There are hundreds of similar cases in southern Punjab every year, he added.