PDA

View Full Version : The Army wants YOU...(pointing finger)

gilgamesh
17 Sep 06,, 03:20
http://www.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=73861

Indian Army, the right place to party

Reuters

New Delhi, September 14: The slick, new recruitment advertisement for the Indian army aired on local television channels promises it all.

An idyllic country cottage to live in/*ask LT, he knows, heh heh)*/ ,the finest schools for the kids, healthcare at s****y hospitals and access to swimming pools and perfectly manicured golf courses.

Also on offer are opportunities to go sailing, try a hand at fencing and abseil off cliffs. And if that is not enticing enough, there are also lavish garden parties.

"Come join the Indian army. Sure there's hard work but we'll make sure you lead a good life," promises a uniformed officer in the James Bond-style television commercial.

Army has launched an offensive to attract bright, young men who are being lured away from what was once a sought-after profession by high-paying career opportunities in the private sector.

The 1.1-million strong force - the world's second largest Army after China - has witnessed a steep drop in officer recruits over recent years, resulting in a shortage of over 11,000 army officers.

"The youth have more career options today compared with 30 years ago," said Ashish Bhasin, director of Lintas IMAG, the communications firm hired by the army to devise and run a national recruitment campaign.

"Our research shows that while the Army still holds respectability among today's youth, they ask 'What's in it for me?' And the usual reason that it's for the benefit of the nation is not good enough these days," he said.

The campaign, which includes advertisements in the media and on the Internet as well as recruitment events for students to meet military personnel, is intended to show potential recruits the adventurous lives they can lead in the army, Bhasin said.

Materialism or Patriotism?

The Army - derived from the British Indian Army formed during colonial rule - initially drew its officers from the elite classes such as royal families and the sons of affluent land-owners after independence from Britain in 1947.

But after suffering high causalities during India's wars with China in 1962 and with Pakistan in 1965 and 1971, and as upper classes shifted to better paid government jobs, the army began drawing recruits from other sections of society

[I]Mods note, s-w-a-n-k-y is being read as s-h-i-t-t-y and automatically bleeped by the software.

Akshay
17 Sep 06,, 03:34
actually the word w@nk has been sensored so even if the word is sw@anky it reads * between 'S' & 'Y'

TopHatter
17 Sep 06,, 04:06
Mods note, s-w-a-n-k-y is being read as s-h-i-t-t-y and automatically bleeped by the software.

actually the word w@nk has been sensored so even if the word is sw@anky it reads * between 'S' & 'Y'

ab041937 is correct.
Not to worry though, I've got it covered ;)

Swanky eh?

Ray
20 Sep 06,, 16:02
Ah well.

These ads are good for the advertising industry.

It is a life full of adventure and risks. But today's youth's bottomline of risk and adventure is the Stock exchange and the bank balance and maybe they are righrt?!