• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gay rights activists demand repeal of Sec 377

Gay rights activists demand repeal of Sec 377

Pavitra Jayaraman

Saturday, September 16, 2006 (New Delhi):

India's most well respected gay rights activists are calling for a change in laws in the country.

In an open letter written by the author Vikram Seth, many activists have asked for the removal of Section 377 in the Indian penal code which they insist is entirely obsolete.

The open letter drafted by author Vikram Seth asks for no discriminations on the grounds of sexual orientation.

A 145-year-old piece of legality, many suggest, has no place in modern India. This section has been controversial because it criminalizes "voluntary carnal intercourse against the order of nature with any man, woman or animal".

The act prescribes a punishment for those found guilty. It includes imprisonment for life, or with imprisonment of either description for a term, which may extend to ten years and shall also be liable to fine.

Section 377 dates back to 1861 and social activists say it's time this oppressive law was done away with. After all, sexuality is just another form of individual expression.

Open-ended laws

The law by itself does not make any sense. Most laws are so open ended that they can be used in a number of ways. In this case, unfortunately, the section has been used to oppress and torture people.

Gay rights activists have fought for years to repeal section 377. But successive governments have shied away from making the section more relevant to modern day life.

The excuses have ranged from the time not being right to the law protecting children from abuse. But some say this section alone cannot properly deal with child abuse.

"We need a more comprehensive law on child abuse. This will not help," said Nitin Desai, former UN Under secretary general.

Letters in support of the section being repealed are a tiny step. What is really needed is a law progressive enough to accept homosexuality and bisexuality.

"When I was 16, I walked into my house and announced that I was gay, take it out or leave. I can give you a book about it if you want," said Sunil Gupta, photographer.
    http://www.ndtv.com/morenews/showmor...c+377&id=93293

Gay rights people making noise again.... The thing is... if this law is repealed, will it give homosexuals the freedom to get married also??? because if so, that will be one scary society to live in...
    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Section 377 should be dumped fortwith.

Goverments have no business creeping into the bedrooms of consenting adults to oversee their sexual activity.

From the land that gave the world the Kama Sutra and Khajuraho, this is stupid.

Comment

Gay rights people making noise again.... The thing is... if this law is repealed, will it give homosexuals the freedom to get married also??? because if so, that will be one scary society to live in...
      Why Tronic, are you conservative??

Hari,

I agree.
      Karmani Vyapurutham Dhanuhu

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
        http://www.ndtv.com/morenews/showmor...c+377&id=93293

Thats true.No offence to gay people but when I go into a bar and there is a guy looking at my butt and fantasizing abt fvcking me, its scary .
        Girl on Girl action is fine .;)

Comment

Stare at him back and wink! That will teach him!
          Karmani Vyapurutham Dhanuhu

Comment

Egging him on by doing that will teach him to do something else!

Comment

lmao... gangrape...
              Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
              -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Ghe Ghe Geh Ghe re Sahiban
                Pyar me sauda kahin!

(TH, it is a Hindi film song. Its clean

It states Go Go Go Go man, there is no bargaining in love!). :)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                X