Best Way to Explore Mars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Way to Explore Mars

Why doesn't the Government say that the first group of people that get a man to land on mars and safely return gets to own the entire planet, or a portion of it. This could spark private investment to go to Mars for the long term. These private investors would pretty much own everything on the planet. Meaning they can sell mining sites in the future . Now of course this would be a very long term investment, and you probley wouldn't see any gain in it for at least 30-40 years. But if mining did start, they would become the richest person in the world.

What do you think?

Re: Best Way to Explore Mars

Originally posted by Praxus
    Why doesn't the Government say that the first group of people that get a man to land on mars and safely return gets to own the entire planet, or a portion of it. This could spark private investment to go to Mars for the long term. These private investors would pretty much own everything on the planet. Meaning they can sell mining sites in the future . Now of course this would be a very long term investment, and you probley wouldn't see any gain in it for at least 30-40 years. But if mining did start, they would become the richest person in the world.

What do you think?
    Small flaw, would be that under various treaties no earthly government owns heavenly bodies.
    at

Comment

Your right, no Government would own it. Private indiviuals who invested in the operation would.

Comment

Since no government owns it, none could say "that the first group of people that get a man to land on mars and safely return gets to own the entire planet". It isn't a decree or guarantee, it would just a statement, and not one that a consortium would invest billions based upon.

You would need to get the treaties revoked.

The only other way would be to get a central body to manage the bid for the mining rights and then distribute the proceeds to the signatory nations of the treaties. Which would be great news for some small out of the way place in the middle of nowhere, but might not be worth getting out of bed for for the G7 mob.

Unless you did the split per capita, and then India and China would be laughing :)
        at

Comment

Any existing treaties are going to be ripped to shreds in the future by MNC's, probably in 50-100 years time.

Put simply, who is going to enforce them? Battlestar Galactica?

MNC's are going to dominate space in the future. That's my bet.
          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

I hope we have ships like Battlestar Gallactica in then new Mini-Series. That ship was bad ass, took a nuke to the side and survived, lol.

Comment

It depends what you think a treaty is for.
              at

Comment

Originally posted by Trooth
                It depends what you think a treaty is for.
                What do you mean it depends on what one thinks?

It depends on what one does. At some point in the future when MNC's go into space-faring, any existing treaties (most dating from the 70's, 80's and earlier) will not be able to be enforced.
                "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Well, it depends what you mean by enforce :)

The Mars Mining company has to sell its goods somewhere. If they have been obtained illegaly under international treaties then they will only legally be able to trade with Venus.

I have checked with their ambassador and he said that Mars should try taking their minerals up Uranus.

Ah the old jokes are the best.
                  at

Comment

Re: Best Way to Explore Mars

Originally posted by Praxus
                    and you probley wouldn't see any gain in it for at least 30-40 years.
                    More like 150 -200 years at the rate we are going now. Plus there are significant practical obstacles that need to be overcome in things like rocket technology. Remember you would have to bring millions of tons of equipment to mars in order to mine. Also there is the problem that Mars has no breathable atmosphere. And I'm just scratching the surface. Not company can make a profit presuming a mission to Mars. It's not faceable for many more reasons than I have mentioned. This is one of the few area where I believe that the government needs to take the lead. Private entities do not have the ability it explore space and space must be explored.

But if mining did start, they would become the richest person in the world.
                    You'd have to be the riches person to start with too.

Comment

Working...
                    X