View Full Version : U.S. Troops To Leave Seoul By 2007

Ironduke
20 Jan 04,, 13:23
U.S. Troops To Leave Seoul By 2007
By Joseph Giordono
Stars and Stripes
Pacific Edition
January 20, 2004

YONGSAN GARRISON, South Korea The United States and South Korea completed military talks in Hawaii on Friday with an agreement to move all U.S. troops out of Yongsan Garrison by 2007, ending a 50-year presence in Seoul.

After the second day of the sixth round of Future of the Alliance talks, the two sides agreed to move U.S. Forces Korea headquarters, the U.N. Command and the Combined Forces Command out of Seoul and onto new U.S. bases in the Pyongtaek and Osan areas, officials said.

The announcement was made at a joint press conference with South Korean Lt. Gen. Cha Young-koo and U.S. Deputy Assistant Defense Secretary Richard Lawless, the chief negotiators for each side.

"We shared the view that the relocation of the CFC and UNC will further strengthen the bilateral alliance and pave the way for creating a stable environment for the U.S. military presence in South Korea for the long term," Cha said.

Cha and Lawless said Saturday there had been no discussions about reducing the overall number of U.S. troops in South Korea.

According to Lawless, between 50 and 100 U.S. troops will stay in a liaison office next to the South Korean defense ministry headquarters in Seoul. The move would begin by the end of next year, he said.

The former Yongsan Garrison would then be turned over to the Seoul city government, officials said.

Both sides said talks will continue throughout this year to hammer out unresolved issues, including how to pay for the move. Under previous agreements, South Korea would bear all of the estimated $3 billion cost of moving troops from Seoul to Pyongtaek.

The decision came as a result of larger negotiations to reshuffle the 37,000 U.S. troops in the country, including the eventual move of forces away from the Demilitarized Zone.

Under terms agreed to last year, the two allies signed a plan to eventually close about half of the U.S. bases in South Korea, moving most troops to new military hubs near Osan Air Base and Camp Humphreys. Many of the 2nd Infantry Division units would consolidate at Camp Red Cloud and Camp Casey before moving further south from the DMZ and out of North Korea's long-distance artillery range.

U.S. officials have said they are not reducing the number of troops in South Korea under the plan but have touted some $11 billion in upgrades to military hardware as a way to keep a strong deterrent force while moving forces to different locations.

Cha said that, under the agreement, South Korea would not be required to compensate local Korean employees who would lose their base jobs when Yongsan Garrison is turned over to the South Koreans.

Yongsan Garrison's relocation has long been a stumbling block in the larger negotiations. South Korean officials wanted the Americans to leave about 1,000 troops on a reduced version of Yongsan, but the two sides could not agree on the amount of land to be kept for the base.

U.S. officials have said they would like to move troops out of Seoul in part because of the sensitivities of having some 8,000 American soldiers in the middle of South Korea's capital.

Cha said Saturday the move was "certain" to ease some of the tensions.

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,FL_korea_012004,00.html

Leader
24 Jan 04,, 23:47
All good moves as I see it.

Ironduke
26 Jan 04,, 03:30
Koreans really don't like the US military presence in their capital, and hey, maybe they could let us sell the land (which is very valuable) as a condition for us moving outside the capital.

smilingassassin
26 Jan 04,, 04:01
Given the bile thats come from some South korean's I say pull em ALL out completely and let the South deal with the North. The older generation are thankfull of the Americans, but the younger generation seem to think they know it all.

ChrisF202
26 Jan 04,, 14:42
Originally posted by smilingassassin
Given the bile thats come from some South korean's I say pull em ALL out completely and let the South deal with the North. The older generation are thankfull of the Americans, but the younger generation seem to think they know it all.
Yeah, but shouldent we be obliged to help them if Kim tries anything? They shouldent be wiped off the Earth cause we arent there to protect them.

Leader
26 Jan 04,, 22:00
Originally posted by ChrisF202
Yeah, but shouldent we be obliged to help them if Kim tries anything? They shouldent be wiped off the Earth cause we arent there to protect them.

The South Koreans are capable of protecting themselves and should.

Officer of Engineers
26 Jan 04,, 22:32
There are two issues here for American presence. To keep everybody in line (North Koreans, Chinese, and the Russians) and to prevent a war between South Korea and Japan.

Ever noticed that that the three major American allies (Taiwan, South Korea, and Japan) don't have an alliance pact with each other?

Confed999
26 Jan 04,, 22:33
Originally posted by smilingassassin
Given the bile thats come from some South korean's I say pull em ALL out completely and let the South deal with the North.
Many South Koreans are counting on us to be there, what about them? I personally have no doubts that if the US isn't there, South Korea won't be there long either.

Praxus
26 Jan 04,, 22:35
No one officially has an Alliance with Taiwan because very few countries recognize it as an independent country.

Officer of Engineers
26 Jan 04,, 22:37
Originally posted by Praxus
No one officially has an Alliance with Taiwan because very few countries recognize it as an independent country.

Ask yourself this, outside of the US, who would run to TW's defence?

Praxus
26 Jan 04,, 22:41
No one

Confed999
26 Jan 04,, 22:43
Sadly it's the same answer for alot of places.

Anvilanthony
19 Feb 04,, 23:34
You know we should find a way to unite S. Korea Japan and Taiwan since they used to live under the same government at one time.

It would kinda be like the United States of Asia, it would be 3 states under 1 president but each state would have their own majority and rights.

Officer of Engineers
19 Feb 04,, 23:44
And the start of WWIII. The Koreans hate the Japanese with a passion and Taiwan has not forgotten the Imperial Japanese Empire did.

Dream on. At best a Civil War. At worst, genocide.

Blademaster
20 Feb 04,, 05:00
Are you sure that S. Korea would be that hateful to go to war against Japan? I thought S. Koreans were not that stupid to wreck the economy. For all purposes, S. Korea is dependant on Japan and US.

If they didn't care about the economy, they would have stormed across the DMZ and raze Pyonygong to the ground and hang up all minions of Kim.

Officer of Engineers
20 Feb 04,, 05:21
The hatre is cultural. The Japanese are still referred to in both countries as *** boys. They'll keep their heads as far as business wise but try to encrouch on their territories and there's going to be (and were) shootings.

Note that the Chinese civilians of both sides of the Straits had united against the Japanese claims of a Daiyou piece of rock.

Blademaster
20 Feb 04,, 05:35
What shootings took place between S. Korea and Japan, and Japan and Taiwan? Never mind the Chinese people. I know several shooting events between China and Japan.

Officer of Engineers
20 Feb 04,, 05:40
Japanese fishing vessels were arrested in SK waters, as were Chinese fishing ships.

Taiwan also claims the Daiyou islands

Blademaster
20 Feb 04,, 05:47
Well that sort of thing doesn't really mean shooting will take place. I mean even Sri Lanka arrest Indian fishermen and India arrest Sri Lankan fishermens and we are not even at war with each other and claim no territorial disputes with each other. Hell I remember Canada threatening to use force against a Spanish trawler.

That is something UN can play an useful role in, determining the rights of fishing and regulating how much fish they capture. In my opinion we really need to regulate fishing or in 20 years we are gonna see the oceans with no fish. A horrendous sight to contemplate.

Officer of Engineers
20 Feb 04,, 05:51
My apologies.

I ain't speaking of factory ships but locals flying the flag of their countries and spraying AK-47s whenever they feel like it.