• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CG Intercepts 80 People At Sea

CG Intercepts 80 People At Sea

Associated Press
    January 19, 2004

MIAMI - Eighty people trying to reach the United States in wooden boats were intercepted at sea and have been returned to the Dominican Republic, Coast Guard officials said.

The four boats were found in the Mona Passage between Puerto Rico and the eastern Dominican Republic.

A Coast Guard cutter intercepted one of the vessels - a 20-foot wooden boat - Friday night two miles north of Rincon, Puerto Rico. Officials found 12 people paddling the water with wooden planks.

Two more boats were later sighted 20 miles northeast of the Dominican Republic. Ships from the Coast Guard and the Dominican Republic navy rounded up 52 people.

A U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement plane spotted the fourth boat, which was intercepted by the Puerto Rican maritime police. Officials said 16 people were aboard.

As of Jan. 8, nearly 500 people had been stopped trying to illegally enter the United States from the Dominican Republic, the Coast Guard said.

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/...011904,00.html
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Imagine how many we dident catch and got through

Comment

All the Cubans who get through get citizenship....

I think most people who enter illegally get deported eventually.

Comment

I wish we could let 'em all in, or help them fix up their place.
        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Heck, if Castro died and the Communists disappeared, we could just admit it as a state :)

I mean, we probably have at least half as many Cubans in the US as Cuba has total.

Comment

Let the Cubans in.

They vote Republican. :)

Comment

Judging only by the Cubans I've met, if it weren't for Castro, Cuba would be a really nice place.
              I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
              even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
              He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman
                All the Cubans who get through get citizenship....

I think most people who enter illegally get deported eventually.
                I have to disagree, theres 12 million of them, and the BICE dosent even bother to enforce the immigration laws

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202
                  I have to disagree, theres 12 million of them, and the BICE dosent even bother to enforce the immigration laws
                  What do you disagree with, and what is BICE?

Comment

What do you disagree with, and what is BICE?
                    BICE = Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, they dont deport any Hispanics, just Eastern Europeans and Jamacians

Comment

I know they won't deport Cubans who make it to shore. The US has some kind of special policy regarding Cubans.

Comment

I know they won't deport Cubans who make it to shore. The US has some kind of special policy regarding Cubans.
                        Cubans can stay if they make it to our shores, all others can technically be deported, but enforcement is lacking

Comment

So hear me out, we the United States of America herby extend American citizenship to all individuals who are Cuban Nationals (certain individuals are excluded, and need not apply 1. Fidel, ect.), and all the privileges and responsibilities that title entails. I’m not going to quibble over the details but you get the point, what do you think would happen?
                          Whoever is unjust let him be unjust still
                          Whoever is righteous let him be righteous still
                          Whoever is filthy let him be filthy still
                          Listen to the words long written down
                          When the man comes around- Johnny Cash

Comment

There would be about 11 million US citizens held by a hostile government. :00 Other than that, the difference would be, the Coast Guard would pick them up and bring them here, instead of taking them back.

Comment

thats one possibility
                              Whoever is unjust let him be unjust still
                              Whoever is righteous let him be righteous still
                              Whoever is filthy let him be filthy still
                              Listen to the words long written down
                              When the man comes around- Johnny Cash

Comment

Working...
                              X